"Backroads 2 Weeks to Play, {things dont always go smoothly}"

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by gunnerbuck, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    The circle of rocks made me think Pet Cemetery not Stonehenge....

Marvin the Martian was the Bugs bunny Space Guy.
  2. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    :clap

Epic!
  3. chevmekanik

chevmekanik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Stellar photos and report! I am glad my adventures are less adventurous than yours!
  4. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Great stuff, looking forward to the rest! One day you're gonna do a trip without any epic trailside repairs & we'll all be disappointed! :lol3

Excellent work on photographing the rocky climbs too, it's always hard to properly show the steepness of stuff like that but you've nailed it on quite a few pics.

Cheers
    Clint
  5. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Day 8
    This day was pretty casual, we did a bunch of slab down through Princeton and to the Nighthawk border crossing, not much for pictures, once we crossed the border we headed into the mountains to find a place to camp... We ended up riding about 20 km past a good spot to look for another before turning back and returning to that good spot... We had a bit of a Lazy start to the day so it put us into camp pretty late...
    [​IMG]
    I did not take any pictures on the Canada side this day.. My 2 ride mates had a little more trouble getting into the country than me as the border guard needed someone to pick on at the end of the day... The guard even warned a patrol car that we were coming, but when the car passed us we were near the speed limit so he left us alone..The first lake we hit on the US side was very pretty and not spoiled by development..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Jason chilling in the shade
    [​IMG]
    Dust and sagebrush for the first bit..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    After a bit of searching we settled on this camp..
    [​IMG]
    Last shot of the day, I hit the tent early this night as I was feeling fatigued.. The focus required day after day for off road riding is something that will catch up with you, so best listen to your body and get some rest
  6. northerndancer

northerndancer wandering spirit

Oddometer:
    Spectacular scenery, outrageous photography, even better storytelling and dyn-o-mite music selections. Epic trip. Thanks for sharing a part of our backyard that I haven't explored enough.
  7. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Music:
    Maikel65535 likes this.
  8. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Day 9:
    We were up early and wrestling up breakfast, today we had to get to a point where Chris could bail and head for home as he had work commitments waiting..
    [​IMG]
    The BS was very thick this morning along with the coffee..
    [​IMG]
    Chris was telling Jason how the grizzly bears always go for the green tents, explaining that it's a genetic thing from the days when grizzlies used to hunt leprechauns..
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    My back tire condition was starting to get worrisome, we still had a bunch of miles to go and I did not want to purchase a tire when I have 4 new ones sitting at home..
    [​IMG]
    Even the front TKC 80 is wearing extremely fast, already cupping quite badly..
    [​IMG]
    Speaking of back tires, Jason is the luckiest guy, this nail went through the sidewall of his tire and back out, in turn the tube was spared..
    [​IMG]
    This was no small nail.. By the way Jasons EO-7 tire now has more tread on it than mine.. He rode on it from Halifax to my home on Vancouver Island last year,took it off and then put it back on for this trip.. My tire was brand new only 10 days ago....
    [​IMG]
    We finally took on some fuel, first since Merrit..
    [​IMG]
    Something you don't see that often anymore, a pay phone..
    [​IMG]
    We arrived in Winthrop for lunch, the plan was to eat and then Jason and I would ride with Chris as far as Diablo on hwy 20 and turn back to find a campsite.. Chris would head for his home from there and I would ride a few more days with Jason before also heading home.. Those that have ridden hwy 20 will know that it is top shelf for scenery..
    [​IMG]
    In the end we bid Chris farewell from town and sent him on his way and Jason and I kicked around Winthrop for the rest of the day..
    [​IMG]
    The place has a neat vibe to it..
    [​IMG]
    We went from end to end of town and then headed out..
    [​IMG]
    When we got to our campsite we were greeted by a field full of skunks, we almost looked for somewhere else to set up..
    [​IMG]
    Damned skunks..
    Maikel65535, clintnz, dano619 and 2 others like this.
  9. chelmi_ouest_coast

chelmi_ouest_coast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clap very nice trip
  10. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Day 10: I took a lot of pics to make up for the 2 previous days..
    [​IMG]
    We were greeted to a perfect sunny day..
    [​IMG]
    We dragged our feet on getting going and did a few camp chores..
    [​IMG]
    We slabbed to jump on a section of the BDR that was a favorite when I rode it a couple years ago.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Something hiding..
    [​IMG]
    Whadda you know, another skunk..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    These trails run the ridgelines and make for very scenic riding..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Chelan below us..
    [​IMG]
    Not much left of my tire now, the closest bike shop is in Wenanche, but as we were eating in Chelan a fellow came in and asked where we are going? I said "BDR to Wenanche".. He informed us that a recent slide has cut off the road through and that we would have to find a workaround.. Rather than that we came up with an alternate plan..
    Maikel65535 and Amphib like this.
  11. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Day 10 continued:
    [​IMG]
    We hit some slab eastward and rode up this hill
    [​IMG]
    The top of the hill was 3000' and turned out to be a vast plateau.. Quite a contrast to the mountains we spent the morning in..
    [​IMG]
    Quick grocery/hardware stop.. We were looking for some trustworthy stuff for our bikes and bingo, look what pops up..
    [​IMG]
    Mansfield Market, everything from soup to nuts..
    [​IMG]
    Loads of rocks scattered on the plain..
    [​IMG]
    Some as big as houses..
    [​IMG]
    And then a crack in the plateau appears..
    [​IMG]
    Jason looking for a way to jump it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We decided to investigate further..
    [​IMG]
    What cool formations
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Picture happy time
    [​IMG]
    Portraits
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Smoke stacks and chimneys
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last shot of the day as it was getting late and we had still not settled on a camp spot for the night, but made some new friends and they offered to share their site, an offer we took up on...
    MTBRALPH, Maikel65535 and Amphib like this.
  12. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Absolutely stunning!
  13. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
  14. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Day 11: I was up early this morning and took a stroll to check out the surroundings as I had not got a chance to look around last night..
    [​IMG]
    Here is where we ended up camping, the big tent belongs to Al and Mary who we had a great time visiting with last night around the campfire..
    [​IMG]
    Some pictures from my stroll around camp
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We packed up and were ready to go, so we bid good bye to our new friends Mary, Simmie and Al.. We will see you again when you come up for a visit to Vancouver Island..
    [​IMG]
    A couple shots along the way as we headed toward Wenachee
    [​IMG]
    In Wenachee we stopped at the KTM shop and looked at tires and then went for lunch, it was there that I decided to head homeward as my wife would be leaving for a month and I wanted to spend a couple days with her before she flew out... Jasons bike also needed a good service and new sprockets + chain which I had in stock so he would tag along and do that at my place... So we rode the Stevens pass hwy to my friend Larry's place at Lake Stevens to spend the night.. As usual Larry and his better half Mavis go above and beyond in hosting a couple weary vagabonds..
    Maikel65535, clintnz and Amphib like this.
  15. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Day 12: Today from Larry's we headed north for the border, had a 2 hr wait for the ferry over to Vancouver Island so it was late afternoon when we made it to my place..
    [​IMG]
    I woke up first thing to the 640 scratching around the stable, it was itching to get going.. The first night in a while where I did not set up the tent..
    [​IMG]
    At the front of the ferry coming into Nanaimo..
    [​IMG]
    Back home after 4000 km.
    [​IMG]
    The tire got me home but is pretty worn, already riding on the carcass between knobs, Metzler Karoo 2 not impressed, totally shot after 4000 km..

Jason spent a couple days doing maintenance on his bike before heading south and Chris contacted me stating that he made it home without any more issues... It was sure an eventful ride for Chris, I guess everyone gets a turn at some point or another, it is just all part of the Adventure... Thanks guys for tagging along and making the 2019 trip into another success...

As for me, after my wife flew out for her vacation I still had a few days holidays so I went back to the usual hum drum activities of Summer. We are so fortunate to live where we do, there is so much adventure out there whether your on the bike or off..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, time to start thinking about where to go next year, maybe another above/below border trip catching some new country towards the mid west.. Thanks people for following along on this years adventure..
    MTBRALPH, td63, MGV8 and 5 others like this.
  16. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Great report. I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to your next one!
  17. Maikel65535

Maikel65535 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seeing your awesome pictures makes me really sad that I couldn't stay longer in BC :(
  18. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    It's too bad that you had a schedule to keep when you were here, at least you got to see a bit of the Island backcountry..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    td63 and Maikel65535 like this.
  19. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    Great stuff. Thanks.
  20. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed riding along with you guys. Well done ride report. Lived in Prince George for 2 years bout 6-7 years back. Would run the toy wagon an hour or so out of town to various lake locations and do 3-4 day trips on the DR. Wonderful riding the forestry roads in that area. B.C is 2 things, BIG AND VERY AMAZING!!! Take care Merlin. on the other island.