1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Backwoods first RESTORATION project...

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by backwoodsKLR, Sep 6, 2010.

1. backwoodsKLR

backwoodsKLR Ride more, Post Less.

Oddometer:
    Having seen Carabnsol's Honda mini-trail 70, Trophy1298's 70's Honda CB Project and hearing EBW talking about restoring tractors, I wanted to try my first restoration project.. I always thought I'd like to restore an old car, but not so much anymore. Restoring an old motorcycle sounds more my speed now and takes up a lot less garage space!!!

So I pulled my first motorcycle out of a shed at my Dad's place and hauled it home... (Had to pack it beside my ATV, which made it look even smaller!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I present, my 1971 Kawasaki MT1 "Parnelli Jones" Edition restoration project... (Tank is from a 1972, which we had as a parts bike in the early 80's)
    [​IMG]

It is in rough shape and has been in a barn, last ridden in the 80's.
    [​IMG]

My family is the second owner. We got it in the mid 1970's.
    [​IMG]

The motor is free and has compression. I was able to get it to run a little a few years back.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can't wait to get started and see if I can get it back in good, rideable shape!! :clap
  2. tslaw

tslaw aged n00b

Oddometer:
    I see a Sturgis adventure in your future:lol3
  3. Switchblade315

Switchblade315 I make people disappear

Oddometer:
    Looks like it will be fun... I've been trying to buy a old Honda CT100 (I think) off my boss. things in great shape. it's sitting in the back of the funeral home I work at. I bet I could make it run in about two days. most of that would be soaking the carb. But I've got to many things to work on right now as it is....
  4. Anticyclone

Anticyclone Ride more worry less

Oddometer:
    Looks like a fun project. I think we all want to see a picture of you sitting on it :D.
  5. Switchblade315

Switchblade315 I make people disappear

Oddometer:
    +1
  6. wolfy317

wolfy317 Addicted to BMW

Oddometer:
    +1
  7. Trophy1298

Trophy1298 Vicarious Cowboy

Oddometer:
    + another 1. Great lil bike there BW.
  8. evilbollweevil

evilbollweevil HDkila

Oddometer:
    It's really not in to bad a shape at all, at least it doesn't look to be. Being complete and the engine not being stuck is the most important. Before you turn the engine to much take the spark plug out and put a little oil in the cylinder to help it out a little after sitting so long. Call me if ya think I can help ya at all. :thumb
  9. 2wheeldreb

2wheeldreb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Neetoh. :clap
  10. backwoodsKLR

Oddometer:
    I still need you to help me fix the stand on the KLR... Actually I just need to make time to take it apart and see what is under the switch cover. And yes, I will need a lesson in planning out what all I need to do to it. Full disassembly or what...

Oh, and when i was 6-8, my dad and I rode it two-up! It has three gears and would climb just about any hill we tried. When i got older, I wasn't necessarily "easy" on it!
  11. backwoodsKLR

Oddometer:
    i found a "yahoo group" of guys that restore these with tons of great information and I also stumbled across Vintage Kawasaki that should have some of the parts I will need!!!

Want to get suspension and a few things done to the KLR then I will be cleaning out shop room and digging into this!!! :clap
  12. tslaw

tslaw aged n00b

Oddometer:
    I want a ride when you get it running. They were much to dangerous for me to have one as a kid.:D
  13. backwoodsKLR

Oddometer:

Funny thing is, back then I rarely wore a helmet and don't remember ever crashing or getting hurt on it! I was younger and a lot closer to the ground on it, though!!! I'll need to set up a race with carabnsol and his Honda mini-trail 70!!! :D
  14. carabnsol

carabnsol should have been a cowboy

Oddometer:
    I think we need to start a mini ADV group.:lol3 As far as a race, I got sick of getting my butt kicked by mini enduros and Honda SL 70s back in the day. It would do 40 on a good day but it was like the energizer bunny.... it kept on going. I actually had a SL 70 at one time but it was constantly giving me problems. I can't even remember what happened to it.:scratch I do have a 1970 mini trail 50 that is my next project. I'm 51 years old and can't get mini bikes out of my system. Ahhhh, nostalgia.:beer Cool looking bike backwoods, you will enjoy the project!
  15. evilbollweevil

evilbollweevil HDkila

Oddometer:
    I'll be here just about all day Saturday, I do have a lot to do then but u can put it on the lift and I can help and we'll get it looked at. I think we can at least get off the swingarm so it will stop cutting into it. I'm out every weekend til middle of Oct after that. let me know if this can work for ya.
  16. advfrk

advfrk Grateful ADVer

Oddometer:
    I might be the only one who can ride it!:D
  17. backwoodsKLR

Oddometer:
    There is a good chance that I will be free all day Saturday (for a change). I think my daughter is going to a weekend retreat, so maybe we can meet up. Should not take long to take off the cover and see what our options are... And while we are working, you can teach me about metal restoration techniques!!
  18. evilbollweevil

evilbollweevil HDkila

Oddometer:
    Well u no how to get here just come all the way down that gravel driveway and I'll be somewhere back there. Just call or text me to make sure somethin didnt come up and me have to leave, I'll be lookin for ya! :thumb
  19. backwoodsKLR

Oddometer:

Will there be banjo music to help guide me in? :D
  20. evilbollweevil

evilbollweevil HDkila

Oddometer:
    No but gun fire has been reported...