Backyard Trek's, Wickenburg AZ...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by AZ Mark, May 21, 2013.

1. black top bob

black top bob gray goat Supporter

Oddometer:
    Always looking forward to your stuff. Enjoyable narrative. Man, it looks so dry. Questions: I'll admit to being somewhat slow, but what kind of mines are those shafts for? And is it illegal or just stupid to carry a metal detector around; not to go into the mines, (I'm not stupid, just slow) but just for wandering around. We actually can get permits here in my region to use them on state land.
    Oh, and does crashing in the desert affect arthritis less than crashing in the woods? LOL. Peace
  2. AZ Mark

AZ Mark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    "Gold... Thar's Gold In Them Thar Hills".
    Majority of the mines in the area started as Gold Mines but most were chasing Silver about the time they closed in the 1930's & 40's. The mines are patented meaning "Private Land". Many on here likely know more about that than I. If there is a locked gate I stay out... Unless I'm on the inside/wrong side of the gate, then I find away around. Ohhh yes, it happens frequently!
    A metal detector would likely blow a fuse. As there is debris all about most of these shafts. Good place to snag nails.screws,etc.
    Ya know back in the days when I was crashing in the woods... I did not have arthritis! :-) Now days I do not "crash". I'll occasionally fall in the sand or on rocky inclines/declines but that's another story!
    Sledred, black top bob and TheAdmiral like this.
  3. andyman7931

andyman7931 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice reports. Just stumbled across them. I was out in your area this spring visiting family. Did the tourist stuff in Wickenburg and visited extended family ranch off of constellation rd. Some of your pictures look very familiar. While I was on 4 wheels with the family, I'm putting AZ on the go back to visit list.
  4. BIG-E

BIG-E AKA; Mongo-E, Sexy Grande Supporter

Oddometer:
    What did ya do after breakfast?? :lol2

Didn't think there was much "Tourist Stuff" in Wickenburg? I've never been there, but it kinda looks deserted, no?:lol3
    black top bob likes this.
  5. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never been there??? Do I detect the start of Altimers here??
  6. AZ Mark

Oddometer:
    I agree... :confused I have seen Big-E in Wickenburg on at least two occasions that I recall. :hmmmmm
  7. AZ Mark

Oddometer:
    Glad you recognize some of my Images on Constellation Road. Ya likely drove past my Casa, traveling to the Rancho! As the title says my Backyard-Treks...
  8. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    I think Big E was referring to the tourist stuff in Wickenberg... As in he hasn't seen or been to that.
    AZ Mark likes this.
  9. arizona rick

arizona rick Chases squirrels

Oddometer:
    Wickenburg days (rodeo) is a huge event. I end up working it. Several small shops for western touristy stuff. Anitas cocina is a great restaraunt, the horseshoe is fly ridden and i dont think the cook has changed pants in 10+ years. Vulture mine road is a nice easy run with some good scenery. Good javelina, quail and coyote huntinf around. It is a quaint small town which could be much more given the route it is on. I dont think the residents want the big town touristy shit though.
    black top bob and AZ Mark like this.
  10. AZ Mark

Oddometer:
    Ya hit it square on the Head... The big City will be here soon enough.
    Not that long ago.... Bell Road & Grand Avenue intersection was really out in the Boonies. From there Ya would drive through miles upon miles of Citrus Groves going East to I-17. Yep... wont be long before Wickenburg is swallowed by the City.
    Foiler, black top bob and Sledred like this.
  11. AZ Mark

Oddometer:
    I had to venture a bit North from My Backyard...
    However Lake Powell is well worth the trip. A couple of weeks of enjoying the cool "mid 70s" weather, a rain shower or two and catching some fish is welcome relief from the Long-Hot-Summer of 2016.

[​IMG]

Will get back on the XR4 soon. Prime weather is HERE for some long exploratory rides... :happay
  12. black top bob

Oddometer:
    Can't wait to see the pics. I dream about riding in sunshine and dirt. Your rides are educational. My goal is forty acres- I got a mule DR650. I've been to Superstition Mountain, but only walking up it, don't know much about AZ. Been to Bisbee, and Tucson and way down along the border back when I was a truck driver, some thirty years ago. Now pushing that seventh decade I have to ride my dirt pig and hope I don't fall off, or do it slowly.:-)
    jtwest likes this.
  13. arizona rick

Oddometer:
    Is anitas back open? Im hungry.
  14. AZ Mark

Oddometer:
    Yikes... Have not added to this for a while!
    A Cardiac Stent a few weeks ago has certainly made me stay closer to the Casa for a while. However I find myself Trek'n again the past couple of weeks.
    Just a few images of nothing special but a couple of interesting rides. Both were haul and ride adventures, approximately 50 miles each and 6 hours in length.

Always looking for old mines in the area to the West of Wickenburg. Mostly eroded jeep trails etc.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Always wondering if the camera is ON ! ! !
    [​IMG]

Old Stone Sheep corrals...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interesting view of a Saguaro Cross...
    [​IMG]

Great Old Saguaro skeleton...
    [​IMG]

Riding through the Jumping Cholla...
    [​IMG]

I'm naming this outcropping "Humping Bear" #652
    [​IMG]

Ranch remains... Bike is likely sitting on the living quarters...
    [​IMG]
  15. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Alway like seeing the pictures you post from there.

I'm glad you have recovered from the placement of the stent. I'm guessing you had a life surprise event in order to obtain one of those. Seeing a photo of you checking to see if the camera is on is a good thing!
    AZ Mark likes this.
  16. black top bob

Oddometer:
    Upright and not knocking wood. Been there, done that. Good to see you're right back at it. Good on ya. Now, back to the photos. Great stuff for those of us froze in the dark hollows of these mountains. I gotta move. Thanks much.
    AZ Mark likes this.
  17. Mot51560

Mot51560 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to see you back and doing well Mark..I've missed your posts.
    AZ Mark likes this.
  18. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love those Honda pictures!!
  19. AZ Mark

Oddometer:
    It's obvious you still have a yearning for Honda's...
    The Blue machine did not stay around long and now your riding this Yellar thing!
    Ya best get back to riding Red again. :-) You know... "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" :ricky
    AZ TOM likes this.
  20. arizona rick

Oddometer:
    Humping bear, love it.