Backyard Trek's, Wickenburg AZ...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by AZ Mark, May 21, 2013.

1. arizona rick

arizona rick Chases squirrels

Oddometer:
    Got a line on any javelina up there?
  2. AZ Mark

AZ Mark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lots of Pigs around... I either see or smell them every outing! Had three run along with me for a 100' or so last week.
    What do you intend to do with a Javelina if you get one?
  3. arizona rick

arizona rick Chases squirrels

Oddometer:
    Dunno maybe see if i can cook it good
  4. AZ Mark

Oddometer:
    Yikes... have not added to this for some time...
    This may be of interest to some, The Wickenburg Massacre, November 5, 1871. One of my main dirt routes to the West is within a mile of this site but I very seldom visit, likely several years since my last visit. I see some of the local historians have attached signage in appropriate places.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few miles into the day I see this cloud of dust kicking-up in the distance. Of course I suspect a group of UTV's heading my way... well I was wrong. A couple hundred sheep and two big white dogs. If ya zoom in a bit you can see'm better. A few more miles and I come upon a Shepherds Wagon and more sheep and two more big (guessing 150+ lbs) white dogs.

[​IMG]

Just another day in the Backyard :ricky
  5. black top bob

black top bob gray goat Supporter

Oddometer:
    Living vicariously.
  6. AZ Mark

Oddometer:
    A little ride out toward Aguila... to check on the farms.
    Took the scenic route around Diamondhead Peak, which is South of Forepaugh about 8-10 miles.
    All that green two months ago is now just Yellow and dry, very dry. Kind of a shitty overgrown trail that has lots of big-black rocks to hoopppp/over/across while around the base of the mountain.
    A good ride... only misplaced twice. Nothing broken and minimal blood loss... :-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. AZ Mark

Oddometer:
    Sorry Boys... I have not been very attentive to this Backyard thread the past few month's. I'm still riding quite often but generally just Trek'n over the same area.
    Snuck in a ride yesterday before the holiday's arrive. Just a simple 35 mile loop from the trailer. Again to the West of Wickenburg a few miles. (there are wayyyy too many people to the East) Never saw anyone all day, just a few cows and several Bull's. For the most part this is a easy loop but there are long sections of Obama-head rocks that will certainly keep you alert as well a couple of long curvy sand washes and... a few gates to open/close. A wonderful day to be out-n-about, with the high's in the mid 60s.

A couple of these shafts were just a few hundred feet from one of my regular routes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes I did heed the warning... especially the STAY ALIVE part!
  8. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to mention I love your reports. Mother in law lives in Peoria, heading down in a coupl weeks and bringing the WR. Can't wait, it's been a decade since I've gotten to ride out there.
  9. motocopter

motocopter ˙˙˙ƃuᴉɥɔɹɐǝS

Oddometer:
    Nice reports here @AZ Mark! Have ridden up/down Yarnell Hill a few times during my time in Phoenix '79-'82. Had a sheriff's deputy pull a gun on us at a café at the top of Yarnell Hill. Seems he didn't like how we passed his old pick-up with empty 55-gallon drums rolling around the bed. Then, an engine-off coast ride down the hill. All quite an eye-opener for an 18-year old then.
  10. AZ Mark

Oddometer:
    Man O'h Man... this weather is too nice to be spending all my time in the office/shop. So I have been letting the XR4 stretch her legs some.
    Photo's were taken on three occasions however riding in the same area to the West of Wickenburg.

I initially thought this li'l Saguaro was kinda interesting so headed that way.
    20171229_112745.jpg

A few more yards up the trail I came-upon these...

20171229_113525.jpg
    20171229_113828.jpg
    20171229_113741.jpg
    BIG-E, buckskinner and motocopter like this.
  11. AZ Mark

Oddometer:
    Then a few more pic's...

20171229_114623.jpg

20171229_114639.jpg

20171229_114654.jpg
  12. AZ Mark

Oddometer:
    Found these interesting Saguaro specimen's!

IMG_4029.JPG

IMG_4031.JPG
    IMG_4034.JPG
  13. AZ Mark

Oddometer:
    A few more images. Followed the Burro trail to a Wilderness Area Gate. Grrr!
    This little guy wanted to give me a Big-Hug :-)

IMG_4036.JPG

IMG_4037.JPG

IMG_4041.JPG

IMG_4039.JPG

A Great Backyard !
    buckskinner, motocopter and Cabrito like this.
  14. CJohn

CJohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AzMark, looks like nice ride and great riding area, may I ask what model Wolfman bags are you using?
    I have 97 XR4.
  15. AZ Mark

Oddometer:
    Believe they are Day Trippers, not certain of the name. I keep a small soft-sided cooler on one side with a frozen water bottle and keep anything I need to keep cool in there. The other side is liquids of some sort. I'm unable to wear a backpack because of a shoulder injury, so these bags have been perfect for my purpose. They are at least 6 or 7 years old and they have been "Great", money well spent. Tie on good and tight and zippers still work well, however I do soap them several times a year.
    I also carry a small possibles-bag behind my headlight with glasses, binoculars, phone, pocket camera, first aid kit, etc.
  16. CJohn

CJohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok thanks for info, appreciate it.
  17. AZ Mark

Oddometer:
    Just a few more images of my slightly to the West, Backyard.

I have traveled through this area before but never took the time to explore. Appears to be low grade Turquoise in the area. However, not really certain what the $$$ ore was.
    It was necessary to cut my day a couple hours short with another slow/fast leak in the front tire. GRRRR! :hair Guess some of those cactus thorns from the previous trip finally worked their way through the tube. Too many for the sealant to completely do it's job!

20180107_113007.jpg

IMG_4047.JPG

IMG_4046.JPG

IMG_4049.JPG

The last pic is when I realized there was a tire issue. Notice the front sitting kind'a low!
    Can't understand why I have tire problems, as I only travel very slowly on newly paved streets... :rofl
  18. motowest

motowest Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had been wondering about those cactus thorns! Looks like they can be a problem...
  19. AZ Mark

Oddometer:
    Yes - - - the cactus thorns can sometimes be an issue just because of the mass-numbers that are encountered. But... they generally do not penetrate tire and the HD tubes I use. If so the sealant takes care of them. The major culprit is usually a Mesquite thorn or piece of metal, debris from mines/ranches/etc...
    This particular puncture was about 1/2 way up the sidewall. A clean in/out so I'm guessing a Mesquite thorn! :dirtdog
  20. AZ Mark

Oddometer:
    Another day... in a Westward direction again. Lots of signs today!

IMG_4070.JPG
    IMG_4069.JPG
    IMG_4055.JPG

I always end up on the wrong side of some signs...
    IMG_4073.JPG
    motocopter, Sledred and rvsparky like this.