Backyard Trek's, Wickenburg AZ...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by AZ Mark, May 21, 2013.

1. AZ Mark

AZ Mark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another day... Just exploring some new country or places I have not visited in a number of years...
    Culling's Well is a easy visit. Hell I think you could drive your "Yugo" into this area. Just another part of AZ history that no one knows/cares about.

IMG_4058.JPG

IMG_4057.JPG

IMG_4060.JPG

IMG_4064.JPG
  2. Burro driver

Burro driver dba John

Oddometer:
    Very cool!
    black top bob likes this.
  3. AZ Mark

Oddometer:
    Yikes... Best add a little to this thread.
    After all the recent rains... thought I would make a little exploratory loop to the West of Town. I ride quite a bit in the area between Wickenburg and Hwy 71. So I know the normal through routs but there are numerous trails into the mountain area's and low passes, I was just exploring today. Trailered out to 71 and made a 5 hour 40 mile loop. Several gates, dead ends and a couple of just it's getting ugly and I really was not looking for Maybe-trails, (maybe I can make it) today!
    Enjoy the pic's as I certainly enjoyed the Adventure...

10-01.jpg
    10-03.jpg
    A wonderful partly Cloudy day. Ran-onto this Old Sign kind'a in the middle of nowhere...

10-04.jpg

10-05.jpg A few years ago I attempted to ride to this little Pass but only made it 1/3 of the way. Busted my Ass pretty good in a deep rut and if I recall even left some blood at the incident site. However today I found the backway and did not attempt to go down. Yes I know it looks nearly flat, but DO NOT BELIEVE IT!

More to follow...
  4. AZ Mark

Oddometer:
    More...

10-06.jpg
    10-07.jpg
    I had noticed this tailing pile for years but finally got around to visiting... Lot's of quartz laying around and the shaft was about 8 foot square. It appeared to be quite deep by the sound of my tossed-rock-o-meter and it was likely following a vein of rock at approximately a 50 to 60% angle into the hill. Lot's of these shafts around I always wonder what the story was.
  5. black top bob

black top bob gray goat Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really enjoy following your travels. I've always wondered who owns all the land around there. Is it government or just private owners?
  6. AZ Mark

Oddometer:
    The majority of the land on this trip is State Trust land, the ranchers just lease it. However there were several miles of private land (deeded) that I crossed as well. I know most of the area ranchers and have permission to travel there. Likely the mines were deeded at one time, but not certain what happens when they are no longer working mines.
    AzMtnThumper and black top bob like this.
  7. AZ Mark

Oddometer:
    Another Day... again to the West!
    Kinda putry out here with the Joshua Trees and the Saguaro's. Heading towards that little Flat-Toped hump. I know I can't get to it as there is a bit of a canyon at the base of those hills.

20181021_104324.jpg
    20181021_111002.jpg

This old road was quite a speedway in it's time. It has stacks of rocks holding it to the hillside. Lot's of manhours involved with this 1/4 mile. It looked like a great place to take a breather and whatever else ya may need to do. The road continues over the hump, DOWN to a place that nearly always has water. But that is another day... I'll have to get there from another trail as this is too washed out and steep for me to tackle.
    I have said it many times... I hate turning around but there is "NO" hesitation at this juncture!
    20181021_111541.jpg

20181021_111857.jpg
    Jedi5150, Kyron, BIG-E and 5 others like this.
  8. AZ Mark

Oddometer:
    Sorry for not updating this more often... I have been riding quite a bit... but not posting as I'm often covering the same backyard so not a lot to add here. However I'm A O' Farm Boy and I recently roamed to the West around Aguila AZ and watched a bit of Wheat Harvest. Now this is Organic Wheat... How do I know? Because the Corner-Post was marked Organic! … and just a quick shot of that AZ Gold running through an old ditch!
    As my wife often tells people "you can take the boy from the farm but you can't remove the Farm from the boy". Enjoy the Pic's, I enjoyed taking them.

01.jpg
    02.JPG
    03.jpg
    05.JPG
  9. motocopter

motocopter ˙˙˙ƃuᴉɥɔɹɐǝS

Oddometer:
    Always like seeing Arizona!
    black top bob likes this.
  10. black top bob

black top bob gray goat Supporter

Oddometer:
    Always look forward to your posts. Thanks from us back here in the dark and rain.
  11. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good stuff Mark, thank you!
  12. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Over the past few days read this from start. Well written and great photos. Also you be a skilled rider,there be many steep ups and downs your riding. Well done. I live a rather long commute from you but have managed a bunch of winter drives to the western Arizona deserts. Also Baja and S.W. Texas. As we all know wonderful riding in all three. As a retired truck driver who spent 25 years with North America as my office the commute to these places is not so difficult. O, I help my brother on his beef farm at his busiest times. We just finished grain and corn seeding. I bounce the large John Deere that preps fields ( can be damn rough) for the seeder. If ever you venture north to my corner of Canada to escape your summer heat do look me up. One more thing, had my wee toy wagon parked few miles south of YUCCA on Alamo rd for few days less then 2 months ago. Using a DRZ 400(now440) as the weapon. Again well done report and great riding. Take care Merlin
    AZ Mark and black top bob like this.
  13. AZ Mark

Oddometer:
    Hey Merlin... Most of my family has not planted much this spring. They have this little problem with "Too Much Rain"! Then there are a few of my friends and family who farm in the Missouri River area and they also have a bit of a problem with broken levee's and flooding. Good to hear that some crops are being planted.
  14. wadethewanderer

wadethewanderer To infinity and beyond.

Oddometer:
    West of Wilmington, north of Myrtle Beach
    My company sent me to a special meeting at a "dude Ranch" back in the 80's, just outside of Wickenburg. It was remote, no phones in the rooms, no TV, but great accommodations. It did have a pool table and a great golf course. Old west decor, wondering if it's still there?
  15. AZ Mark

Oddometer:
    In the 80's there were 5 active Guest Ranches. However the only place with it's own golf program was Rancho de Los Caballeros. Still very active place during the winter season. It has been owned and operated by the same family since 1948... https://www.ranchodeloscaballeros.com/
    wadethewanderer likes this.
  16. wadethewanderer

wadethewanderer To infinity and beyond.

Oddometer:
    West of Wilmington, north of Myrtle Beach
    Thanks. Good to know next time I'm thru there.