Bad news for Thailand: new rules for riding there with your own bike

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Panny, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Panny

Panny motorcycle vagabond

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The times when you could roam Thailand on your own motorcycle seem to be over. Some month ago the Goverment allready introduced rules going into this direction. But now the final shot is coming: Soon it will be like in Myanmar, China or Buthan. For the latest news see: http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...egn-Reg-Mbike-into-Thailand?p=61664#post61664
    Similar things are going on in Laos.
    This concerns only motorcycle travellers, who want to ride through Thailand with their OWN bike, not those, who rent a bike overthere - at least that´s my understanding.
    I´m glad that we could explore the country extensively without these restrictions on our RTW trip: www.motorcycle-vagabonds.com
  2. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    They need to sort this out propetly as it could only hinder tourism.
    Most people that ride a foreign bike in Thailand are passing through, if they can't do that they could start avoiding Thailand altogether. I'm also thankfull I had the chance to do it unencumbered by red tape.
  3. Panny

Panny motorcycle vagabond

Oddometer:
    Hi Gavo, I think the officials don´t want us low budget overlanders. The target tourists are those who fly in for a few weeks and spent proper money.
    Beside that, it´s a reaction on the massive overrun of Chinese riders and drivers, with near to no riding/driving skills - that at least the common opinion in the s-e-asian motorcycle forums.
    Nonetheless it´s a sad development.

Cheers

Panny
  4. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    Perhaps they should just police the border with China better.
    But who spends more, someone there for 6weeks cheaply or someone for 1week as an average tourist.
    You know thats a common mindset, I'm currently traveling around Australia and the prosperous coastal town councils are very strict about free camping and try to force you to use expensive campgrounds/ holiday accommodation or say only large RV.
    Where the less prosperous inland areas offer free or very cheap campsites just to get the tourists. Of course Australia has a lot of room with a small population, very hard to police where you camp.:rofl
  5. Captain Scooby

Captain Scooby Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rent. Garage your bike and wear out someone else's tyres @ $8/day. (Step thru)
  6. Farang Paul

Farang Paul A Late Convert

Oddometer:
    32.5 million tourist arrivals in Thailand in 2016 - how many of these were riding their own bikes? maybe 0.001% Do they care? No.
    Chinese drivers flooding over the border by car; bringing left-hand drive cars to a right-hand drive country, an even worse standard of driving than the locals and huge insurance claim problems with any accidents (there were many). So legislation was both inevitable and necessary.
    Legislation has to cover all vehicles, otherwise it is deemed unfair, so bikes get included in this effort to control a burgeoning problem.
    Rent a scooter or rent a big bike in any of the major towns and cities - sad but that is the way it is and moaning isn't going to change it.
  7. BillUA

BillUA Las Vegas, NV

Oddometer:
    Better not tell Ed, he is there with is bike right now.. :)
  8. davidgtr

davidgtr n00b

Oddometer:
    Yeah sad to say Thailand is now a problem.

Laos is still normal. Nothing has really changed for big bikes.
    There seems to be a clamp down on bikes less than 250cc at the moment, otherwise it is still the same.
    http://www.gt-rider.com/se-asia-motorcycling/threads/laos-border-crossings.7692/

The only problem is entering via Xayaboury province.
    http://www.gt-rider.com/se-asia-motorcycling/threads/muang-ngern-entering-laos.13236/
  9. El Caballo Loco

El Caballo Loco Pants-free living!

Oddometer:
    I've been in Thailand for 15 months now, exploring the country on a scooter I bought here.

I've been all over here and rarely see other people on their own bikes. This decision by the Thai government won't really matter at all.

From my experience, if you're feeling adventurous, kick it around on a scooter. The right scooter is fun as hell to ride. I've stopped and been to places that were so absolutely amazing.