Badass chicks ride to the Canadian Rockies

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by RamonaRider, Jun 30, 2018.

1. RamonaRider

RamonaRider BeginnerMind

Oddometer:
    THE END: Day 10, July 10 - Lake Liberty, WA and home to Portland
    ~400miles/645km !!

Day 10 was a "holy shit" day, but mostly not in a good way. We woke before 7 to rain, and elected to wait it out — being hedonistically inclined towards more sleep — but this resulted in a 10am departure time on what was already going to be our longest day distance-wise. Then immediately upon entering Interstate 90 West, the winds asserted themselves...and asserted, and asserted. Some wild gusts, but generally sustained such that the knee sail (more like a rudder, I suppose, but I'm not nautically aware!) was required pretty much full-time. T pulled us over for a rest stop only an hour along, where we ate and got coffee, and I realized again how much I've levelled up as a rider. She thought it was the worst winds of our whole trip and had expected me to be a gibbering idiot like I was on the first day around Goldendale, but instead I was calm and taking it in stride. Now, don't get me wrong — those conditions make riding more WORK than FUN. It's exhausting to bring that constant attention and response to bear on unpredictable and invisible forces! And this was already our longest and farthest day on paper...but so we just kept going.

We took different stops than anticipated as we were variously overcome with mental fatigue, or hand cramping, or numb asses, or just whatever it was. I had to have myself a good cry, stopping at the viewpoint over the Columbia River some miles short of Biggs Junction. T just held me and I cleared out yet more grief and loss and despair — opening up space for the rest of my hopefully long and fruitful and adventure-filled life. T described this trip as fundamentally soul-restoring, for both of us, and so it is. I'm not the same person I was ten days ago.... For one thing, I'm rocking unconscious competence in my riding! I listened to tunes just about all day, completely one with my motorbike.

After the viewpoint as we dived back into the wind vortexes for which the Columbia River Gorge is famous, and I had two nice realizations. One was that the wind would not knock me over completely (I know that wind can do that, but this wasn't that killer kind), and the other was that after this, future tough rides would seem easier by comparison. (Bear in mind that I do already have the "warm up ride" in Death Valley in spring 2016 as a landmark difficult ride, wherein the Lippincott Mine Road section was simply a small part....) And so we slogged on, and on, and targeted a nice dinner in Hood River. Tragically, it was still super gusty AND now at 6pm the setting sun was straight in our eyes. So I called in a favor with a friend to pick up my puppy from boarding, and we re-routed ourselves and added another hour onto the trip. We headed south on 35 down the east flank of glorious Mt. Hood, and then west on 26 up into Portland from the south. The temps dropped precipitously in the dark shadowy side of the mountain, and by this point in the trip I barely hesitated to drop trou on the side of the road and pull on my silk long johns beneath my riding jeans.

Onwards, and no more pokey Liz - we curved and dove along these backroad routes, watching the twilight turn the mountain's face tawny then lavender as the sky blazed ahead of us in the distance with oranges and purples illuminating perfect triangles of clouds above. So fitting on this final stretch to honor Wy'east, our local goddess of a mountain, and one of my late husband's favorite places. It was the fabulously quick swoosh on his big black BMW up Timberline Road that convinced me I had to learn to ride.... He definitely rode with me on much of this trip, as did my beloved father who also passed away in January just six weeks before my husband — my two wings, helping carry me forward with love and hope.

We rolled in to my house just after 10pm, full dark; we dismounted and clutched each other in joy and relief, and then Tahnee said, just like a little kid does: "AGAIN!!!" And so mote it be. Love all around, fellow freaks — thanks for riding along and encouraging my report!

Day 10 pics...

IMG_5174.JPG
    A future convert to the riding way??

IMG_5176.JPG Yep, a good viewpoint to release more sadness...

IMG_5180.JPG
    Happy dog, and our riding gear abandoned as we rushed to enjoy my hot tub...

Don't be a stranger, I'd love to make friends here...

Namaste,
    Liz (aka RamonaRider)
    DukeMButu, bobw, Folly1 and 27 others like this.
  2. stillwater0302

stillwater0302 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Outstanding ride report! Thanks for bringing us along!

The pictures were great and the storytelling was even better. I'm envious of the friendship and experiences the two of you were able to share. I hope we are invited to come along again next time. :clap
    motrhead and RamonaRider like this.
  3. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider

Oddometer:
    RamonaRider likes this.
  4. mattoid1

mattoid1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pics Ramona! I think that is the fewest canoes I've ever seen in a casual shot of Lake Louise. I love those Canadian Ferries.
    RamonaRider likes this.
  5. lamastrom

lamastrom 2 wheel addiction

Oddometer:
    minnesnowda, red river valley of the north
    Wow , I did this trip the week before you gal's , nice pics now I know what the views looked like as I was riding in the rain most of the time so don't have any pics.
    RamonaRider likes this.
  6. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice report and great pics. Thanks for taking the time and energy to post about your ride.
    RamonaRider likes this.
  7. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic! :clap
    RamonaRider likes this.
  8. jwc

jwc Ready to go

Oddometer:
    Beautiful pictures of amazing views. thanks for taking the time to post them.
    RamonaRider likes this.
  9. Bugzy

Bugzy 2014 VStrom DL1000a

Oddometer:
    Great trip report thanks. You missed a nice road going down to Miette hotsprings, it is very winding and fun. It sounds like you also didn't go on the gondola ride near Jasper, there are all these cute marmots up there, fun to see, and some great views if the weather cooperates.

The Rockies offer so many things to see and do, and every time you ride through it is different.

I love your descriptions on being one with the bike, isn't that an amazing feeling to go around corners and have no struggles, no problems leaning in, just curve after curve of ecstasy. It becomes so natural you don't even have to think about it, it all just falls into place.

Next year, try the Alaska Hwy road up to Yukon, and loop back down Hwy 37. A wonderful all pavement ride, although there may be some gravel in construction areas and there are a few places where you would want to pack some extra gas.
    RamonaRider likes this.
  10. powderzone

powderzone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brilliant ride and terrific RR.
    Just chillin in the East Kootenay’s right now - the mountains say “Hi!”
    glasshousebc and RamonaRider like this.
  11. CCitis

CCitis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great Report! Enjoy the rest of riding season. See you out there.
    RamonaRider likes this.
  12. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    Glad you enjoyed my backyard ! I ride up to New Denver and Kaslo nearly weekly. It’s a stunning road.
    bobw and RamonaRider like this.
  13. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    If everyone had your attitude, the world would be wonderful. Glad you liked BC.
    bobw and RamonaRider like this.
  14. mojoguzzi

mojoguzzi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    " I do wish I'd worn my Langlitz leather jacket, or figured out how to get that heated jacket going that my friend Joe gave me awhile back. In the heat, T lent me her nice thin leather gloves. "
    We'll have to chat soon :)

Wow. Just. Wow. What an epic trip. Thanks for taking us along! Hope to chat soon.
    RamonaRider likes this.
  15. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fab report! Thanks again!
    RamonaRider likes this.
  16. soberjoe

soberjoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It’s just going on 6:30am and I’ve spent the last 20 minutes reading the final posts of your RR.
    What a wonderful start to my day.
    Thank you for taking us along on a splendid journey, sharing your abundant joys and moments of sadness with us.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RamonaRider likes this.
  17. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    I can't add anything to what's already been said. Excellent RR! I've taken that trip on the healing road. It gets things back in alignment. It makes it hard to just be normal... working a job, paying the bills, being someone other than the adventurer we are at heart. It's a good place to be, to know that even at the end of the journey to road is still calling.
    bobw, motrhead and RamonaRider like this.
  18. dukesters1

dukesters1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You'll remember the ride til you die. I remember the feeling after my first trip; I did NOT want to go back home. Ever. Writing about it will keep if fresh - where you stopped each day, the wind, the people, and the Canadian Rockies. Thanks for sharing.
    RamonaRider and Lopburi like this.
  19. little foot

little foot Mediocre Mediator

Oddometer:
    Great choice for a ride.
    RamonaRider likes this.
  20. Passim

Passim Still here

Oddometer:
    Good to see you made it home safe and sound, thanks for sharing your RR, great write up and pictures... :thumb
    RamonaRider likes this.