Bag Reflectors

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Killen, Dec 10, 2001.

1. Killen

Killen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did anyone keep the information on reflectors for GS system cases? I can't find it. Santa wants my list.

Thank you.

Killen
  2. Myles Whitfield

Myles Whitfield Studly Moderator

Oddometer:
    I ordered mine through A+S BMW in California:

www.ascycles.com
    -or-
    800-689-9893
  3. Killen

Killen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :):

Great site. Thank you.

Killen
  4. Marc

Marc Just sayin...

Oddometer:
    Check this out:

[​IMG]

3M SOLAS, baby! Way better than that black pre-cut reflector stuff and a hell of a lot cheaper. 3" or 4" widths at any length at your local marine store...

Marc
  5. Killen

Killen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the idea.

I can see the light.

Killen
  6. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    I just noticed that aerostich sells strips of silver solas.
  7. freaking RT

freaking RT will golf for food

Oddometer:
  8. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That surely will get someone's attention, but I think it is a bit much too; IMO, so much reflective material overpowers the running and tail lights. I think used with moderation, some reflective patches here and there are a better idea. Definitely go for the highly reflective stuff, but not so much area that a person following you has to try to pick out your signal lights.

My preference is to go with something about six inches in width, something like a triangle, or like what came on my Ortlieb bags shown below. These are visible from a long ways off. Although the larger surface area shown in your pic would be more visible at a distance - up close, as in normal following distances I think that much area is just too much.

FWIW,
    LCB

Attached Files:

9. Marc

Marc Just sayin...

Oddometer:
    You know, from the picture above you'd think so. However, my wife was following me home one night recently and reported otherwise. Yes, cars/trucks/planes/UFO's can see you clearly from a distance. However, the brake light augmented by Hyperlites is absolutely un-missable (unless you're drunk or otherwise impaired) from any reasonable distance. Since it's dark so much of the time in the NorthWet winter (Dec 21 being the shortest day), I wanted to be as conspicuous as possible. I dunno - maybe it's overkill. I might re-visit this issue in a bit and see if less is better...

Marc
  10. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just my opinion - but this is a subject I have thought a lot about as I have had a number of friends hit from behind. I have also done a lot of observation, and I had the chance to view a lot of bikes, day and night, at the Redmond rally this summer - and they had a lot of different setups.

I believe that there is such a thing as too much and that this can confuse people who are behind you. A lot of reflective material is not as bad as those who run their turn signals as running lights, or who have all kinds of blinking stuff going on, but I think it is easy to get carried away.

My premise is that when you have so much surface area showing light (reflected or generated), it can distract a person from noticing the standard signals. Just enough is just right.

Unfortunately, at a long distance it takes more surface area to be noticed, and that would be an advantage if you were stopped at an intersection or for another vehicle, broken down along side the road, or heaven forbid crashed in the road, especially since vehicles would be closing at a higher delta than if you were moving, but most of the time I am riding cars are closer than that and I am moving.

All that reflective area is better than not having it at all. I have done a lot of observation of stock bikes at night in traffic, under varying conditions, and from the rear (and side) most stock bikes are almost invisible. I know people can see me - people who have followed me in car and on bike have said they can pick me out of traffic at long distances, and that they can see the reflectors of my Ortlieb bags when in the countryside.

My next additions are going to be some of that reflective tape for the rims of the wheels (I am going to do blue and white to get the spinning prop effect which I think will be very visible while moving and is appropriate for a Beemer), and some yellow/red hyperlites to replace the turn signals.

FWIW,
    LCB