Baja – A current take on exploring Baja using paved roads almost exclusively

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Vic5491, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Vic5491

Vic5491 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does that mean that the interior is not worth the time away from the coast or just that most focus on the coast, not the interior?

Observatory road looked great to me!

2. AndyT

AndyT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But the dust from the road messed with the observatory, the reason for the road in the first place. Consequently, asphalt.
  3. AndyT

AndyT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like mountains, so to me the interior is interesting. If others want to stay on the coasts, good for them, but don't let them tell you what Baja is about.
  4. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    When I went to Baja the first time I saw the Observatory on a map. Asked how to get there. Got lots of remarks on how the road was ruined.
    Next time in Baja I found the Observatory Road and had a very nice ride. A beautiful rustic paved road up into the National Park. Unfortunately you cant get into the very top by motorcycle. "No Motos" at a gate.
    I was there off season and no cars came by so I turned back. Still a very nice ride.
    If you are a flatlander it will give you some pucker factor. :lol3 That corner with the sand made me slow WAY down. It was a long drop to the bottom.
  5. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry but I'm calling bull shit on the dust. You can drive in the dirt all over the place up on top of the hill in the park. Believe me, I've camped in the meadows up top since the early 70's. Car traffic as always been limited to those working at the observatory at the very top and you've always had to walk in for the last bit. The road was paved to make supplying the observatory easier. I got to follow a guy who drives liquid Nitrogen up to the observatory 3 times a week once (not long after it had been paved) down from the El Coyote junction. He knew the road like the back of his hand and had some great lines.