1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

BAJA 2021

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Alpha 1, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Alpha 1

Alpha 1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wasn't planning on doing a ride report but now that I'm home thought I would put a quick one out.
    My plan was to spend a few days getting to Loreto where my wife would fly in for 4 days then spend 4 or 5 days working my back north.
    Last years trip I was on a 2019 790R this year 2021 T700.
    Loaded my bike up and hauled it to Lakeside California, then crossed at Tecate on Thursday 4th.
    I-15 from So. Utah to Cali. on the 3rd it was windy and raining even had snow coming down the Cajon pass.
    Day 1 Tecate to San Felipe
    had planned on a route over compadre trail the down to Colonia Lazaro Cardenas and south to Hwy 1 between San Vicente and Colonet, but it rained all night and looked like snow up high, so thought I'd head for San Felipe instead and do this on the way back.
    Crossing at Tecate was the same as last year past the the border to the right, parked in to get the FMM and pay = easy not 1 question about covid.
    south on HWY 2 and 20 and down the 5 to San Felipe boring Hwy miles but at least its in Baja.
    got stopped at the military check just past the 3/5 interchange and had to show my passport and FMM to a immigration official. never seen this before and none of the other check points I passed had immigration although another rider I talked with a couple days later said he was checked for it just north of La Paz.
    checked in to the Caribe Hotel and got fish tacos at Rosita's compared to last year San Felipe is empty I was the only one at the hotel.
    Day 2 down to Bahia Asuncion
    stopped and seen Coco made sure to keep my distance I've already had the covid so figured I was pretty safe, He's getting up there in years but seems good said he'll be moving near the HWY in the next couple weeks has made a deal and has some help to get him and his stuff relocated.
    Guerrero Negro then in to Bahia Asuncion, windy the whole way - really windy.
    Stopped in Guerrero and thought of staying but town was busy and was still early so called the ahead to the La Bufadora Inn and got a room there, made it before dark and had dinner at a little restaurant recommended by Tim at the Inn ( Sunset Mary's ) great food and a cool little Inn in a neat little town will definitely get back.
    think I seen more bike's today than all other types of vehicles lots of groups of dirt , cruisers, touring and Adv bikes.
    Snow on Cajon Pass IMG_1171.jpg IMG_1175.jpg IMG_1176.jpg Bahia Asuncion IMG_1178.jpg IMG_1179 (1).jpg
    lvscrvs, Mcahron, bomose and 4 others like this.
  2. Alpha 1

Alpha 1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2 Days from Bahia Asuncion to Loreto
    Down the coast from Asuncion to Punta Abreojos was told by some locals that this road was horrible and it was one of those roads you only go down once but not bad actually a nice bike road not a bunch to look at but nice to be on some dirt. up to the Hwy and over to Mulege stopped in the mulege brewing had some good pizza and beer checked in to the Mulege hotel and back for a couple more beers, nice folks and good food really like mulege. talked with a couple other bikers that were in town, seems pretty normal down there.
    off the next morning to Loreto stopped and ate breakfast in Posada Conception one of the best plates of Chilaquiles I've ever had, down to Loreto to Coco's Cabanas and checked in.
    spent the next few days with my wife took her up to San Javier and over to Adolfo Lopez Mateos to see the gray Whales IMG_1224.jpg IMG_1186.jpg

Attached Files:

lvscrvs, steved57, garfey and 8 others like this.
  3. Alpha 1

Alpha 1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Back North
    took off about noon on Thursday the 11th after getting my wife to the air port was thinking of going over the mountain to San Juanico then north but the weather is showing more winds off the pacific and rain north over the next couple days so headed back to Mulege and over to San Ignacio for the night got a room at Beans and Rice there was only me and one couple camping there its been strange some places busy others empty.
    Friday up early and off to BOLA, turned off the HWY and up to El Arco over to the coast and then in to the Bay of LA. great ride but I have to say this is the only day I missed the KTM I had Last year the suspension on the R was better on long day of wash board roads I really feel the T700 beats it at every thing else its smoother engine better power low in the RPM range, better on the HWY makes it a great adv bike but mine will be getting some suspension work.
    Had Tacos at China's taco stand and was thinking of staying but the hotel I was going to stay at was almost full and they wanted 1200 peso for the night could have found something but decided to head for El Rosario weather was looking bad over the next couple days so figured I should keep moving north while the weather was ok.
    Made it to El Rosario just before dark couldn't find a room went to every hotel in town but they were all full, lots of dirt bikes in town.
    up to the Hotel Mission Santa Maria, good room and meal for not planning on staying there.
    Saturday hoping to do the dirt from the HWY 1 over to HWY 3 then spending the night some where before crossing but looking at the weather it had rained a bunch over night and more forecasted north of San Quintin.
    I headed north everything was wet and muddy even mud washed over the HWY in places so just kept heading north rainy and wet roads but not much heavy rain.
    temps in the low 50's high 40's over the wine country back in to Tecate crossed the border about 1 had heard it closes at 2 but signs said 5 I think, only one lane open, no covid questions only the standard why your traveling and what your bringing back with you.
    pictures south of BOLA
    IMG_1247.jpg IMG_1240.jpg IMG_1234.jpg IMG_1235.jpg IMG_1236.jpg IMG_1241.jpg
    Quindio, lvscrvs, steved57 and 12 others like this.
  4. BoiseBrrrap

BoiseBrrrap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting. Any quick thoughts on the T7 vs. 790 on a trip like this?
  5. Alpha 1

Alpha 1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think the T7 is a better ADV bike for what I think a ADV bike should be, for me its a travel bike 45% road ( asphalt ) 45% dirt road ( gravel, fire roads, forest service roads) 10% off road ( single track, technical two track ) my 790 was an R but think the T7 should be compared to the standard 790 as the R is an up graded model, that up grade is where the 790R is better the suspension.
    I did a fairly similar trip this year to last, carrying the same gear just more miles last year and different tires that were new before each trip last year on the 790 I had Motoz Adventure this year I installed the Bridgestone AX41.
    The T7's motor is for me a winner better power lower in the RPM range and super smooth on the road, I like the riding position better and the simplicity of the Yamaha , all the different ride modes and traction control I never cared for on the KTM but did like the off road ABS where your rear is turned off and the front is on the T7 only has the option of ABS on or off.
    the big thing for me is reliability my 790 was in the shop for warranty work 7 + times in the year I had it most of those trips it had 2+ items to be addressed I just lost confidence in the 790 and even though Yamaha had a real shit show of a release on the T7 its not needed any thing fixed in 9 months.
    Things that I think Yamaha could have done better. 1 - range think they could have put a bigger tank on it with a little design work. 2. Plastic's - should have off road plastic. 3. would have been nice if they could have made it a bit more compact its pretty tall, think this is because the CP2 motor is fairly tall.
    I'll admit I'm a bit of a Yamaha fan but I have owned a lot of different brands besides these two I have a Beta dirt bike now and in the past have had Kawasaki, Honda, Victory, Harley and others never had a bike that had issues like the KTM it was a real let down I wanted to love it but with all the issues on a bike that should be dependable 1st for travel the KTM missed the mark for me.
  6. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your weee Baja wander brings back memories. Baja is so special in so many different ways. Appreciate the write up. Take Care Petepilot
    Alpha 1 likes this.
  7. JMan35

JMan35 n00b

Oddometer:
    Your wife-fly and ride plan is almost identical to what we are planning right now.

My riding mates and I are planning to trailer down to San Diego, cross, head South down the Western coast of the peninsula to Cabo and meet our wives there.

At this point we were thinking we could leisurely ride 2-up back North on the Gulf side to Loreto where they could fly home and we work our way back to the border/San Diego.

Any foreseeable issues with that plan? None of us have ever been down there and this is a big bucket list ride we have all wanted to do since we were 6 and watching the Baja 1000 on Wide World of Sports!
  8. Pete Pilot

Oddometer:
    Your plan looks very doable. Do set aside plenty of time to enjoy!!! 20 days would seem just right to me 4-5 day wander down a week at Cabo and 5 days north. You will not be disappointed, Baja is very special.
  9. JMan35

JMan35 n00b

Oddometer:
    Awesome to hear! We are all current/former firefighter or police officers, so excessive planning is part of our DNA

We have a total of 14-days most likely to make it down from Oregon, make the ride, then get back. So reality of 11-12 days of Baja seems like we might have to use some paved highway to make up time on the way back which might not be bad given likely fatigue by that point.

Thanks for the info and any wife-centric tips I am all ears!
  10. Pete Pilot

Oddometer:
    Have family and friends that are active or retired police. I myself am retired, spent 25 years as a truck driver wandering u.s.and Canada. 48 states, 9 provinces, 2 territories. The last 11 years as one truck co. Believe me I know about planning. To enjoy your trip you really need another 7 days. You all will be on rush mode from day one. What part of Oregon are you from? Oregon is one of favourite states, with the eastern half the best half.
    By the way, I have a friend in Tucson Az.that is an agent for Mexican insurance. He also has been in Baja bout 40 times as a rider, traveler and has been a support person for many Baja race teams. An amazing source of info.
  11. Alpha 1

Alpha 1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    should be no problem I love Baja and Mexico any time there is for me always good, I did a trip last year down to Los Barriles and back, I'm assuming the 2 up would be asphalt ? but theres some great coast riding between La Paz and Los Barriles and north of La Paz to San Evaristo then up the mountain to Ciudad Constitución but wouldn't do them 2 up
    knight likes this.
  12. NevadaNick

NevadaNick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Question about the AX41’s, no flats in the rocks etc ? I have a set of Motoz for my T7 wait g to be mounted but have a trip in July that is Oregon Bdr to Washington BDR and back and by the looks the AX 41’s look to be a better tread for the easy roads and bits of highway. Starting in Winnemucca and as little pavement as Possible. Thank You
  13. Alpha 1

Alpha 1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The AX I liked better everywhere felt better on the road and less noisy (wouldn't think by looking at them) and better in the sand, I had the standard Motoz adventures not rally's , better mileage for sure on the Motoz and equal I'd say on dirt other than sand, more rock chunking and cracking around the knobby but will get maybe a 1/3 or so more miles out of the motoz. ordered the AX from RMATV/MC and paid about the same as the rear motoz cost for the set of the AX I wish they lasted longer not sure on the next set if I'll buy them again might try the Motoz GPS and mount in the off road direction.
    If mileage wasn't a concern I'd buy them again for sure hard to beat at the price I paid.
    no flats on either sets
  14. kmag

kmag Average Sedentary Man

Oddometer:
    Great report! Do you speak Spanish? What's it like for an English speaker to travel through Baja?
  15. brad21

brad21 We have a pool... and a pond.

Oddometer:
    You shouldn’t have any problem in Baja as an English speaker. Just wave your hands around a lot and/or add an O at the end of every word!
    kmag likes this.
  16. Alpha 1

Alpha 1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't speak Spanish I know words and a few simple phrases but its never really been a issue so far I do need to learn more when I go I pick up a little here and there but really need to make a effort to learn more.
  17. ADV650701

ADV650701 n00b

Oddometer:
    Good Morning,
    First time post. Have been to Baja many times in a truck. Next week will be the first time on a bike, Headed to San Juanico to meet some friends.

Crossing back to US from Tecate, do you just ride past all the cars in line on their left and then cut in front at top of the line?

I have never crossed the border on a bike so please excuse the super basic question. Thanks for the ride report!
    kmag likes this.
  18. Alpha 1

Alpha 1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yes go to the front of the line I didn't know on my first trip had several people in cars tell me to go to the front every one was cool and let me in, had one this year that acted pissed but let me in everyone else was cool about it
    kmag likes this.
  19. ADV650701

ADV650701 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the quick reply!
  20. 6.5x47L

6.5x47L Adventurer

Oddometer:

Fastest I have used. https://www.synergyspanishsystems.com/ I spend a ton of time Mexico Diving/Fishing, and it works.