Baja Adventure Riders

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by bigtodd, Oct 11, 2013.

1. MKJ

MKJ Married w/ Children

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............................................

Why do I recognized this point?

2019 Baja ride Page 001.jpg
    Lost Cartographer likes this.
  2. TemeculaTim

TemeculaTim Timiteo Viejo

Oddometer:
    For us it was the end of a long hot afternoon. Plan was to ride from San Ignacio to Mulege. Canyon started out fine and we were digging riding through all the water
    View attachment 1635543 DSCN0392.JPG DSCN0413.JPG IMG959018.jpg

We got less than a mile from topping out near Guadalupe Mission and had to turn back. Last years storms wiped out the trail just below mission on the west side. No ones going through that way for a long time.

Attached Files:

3. MKJ

MKJ Married w/ Children

Oddometer:
    Baja Jan-Feb 2012 096.jpg
    This is the view from the top. The west side trail at sunset is pretty spectacular riding even if you don't get over the top. Feb 2012.

The East side is no picnic now either.

That trail has been knocked out since October 2014. We were turned back in April 2015 and I've not returned since. A few have been through working in teams of 3 but I'm not really into Death Marches any more.

It was a good one.
  4. TemeculaTim

Oddometer:
    Last time we rode through was a week before the Baja 1000 in 2017 and its affectionately known in our group as cry-baby canyon.:lol3
  5. MKJ

MKJ Married w/ Children

Oddometer:
    All the way through, up and over the top?

You must ride with Scott? That's what he calls it.
  6. Moto Vaquero

Moto Vaquero Trail less traveled

Oddometer:
    Yah, MKJ and I attempted it in 2015 and got to that last gnarly hill near the top before turning back. Just used up most of our energy moving boulders in all the washed out gullies (first bikes in there post Odile). We were also running low on gas and h2o. Limped back into San Ignacio at 11:30 pm exhausted.
    After walking up it, it did appear that it was possible to get up the right side though with enough time, energy, gas, etc.
    Soo, last spring I brought some new victims, err, friends to conquer it knowing a lot of the heavy lifting was done. Well, we made it to the exact same spot at the bottom of the last hill and evidently it received some more heavy rain since we were last there. Where it still looked possible 3 years ago has been blown away and it is worse than Karls Diner now.

That used to be one of my favorite routes in Baja, but like Tim said "It will be a loong time" unless you happen to have a D-10 dozer that is.

BTW, What is affectionately known as "Cry Baby Canyon" is actually the canyon coming up from Rancho de La Pila which joins this same canyon near San Marcos, though now we'll just say it extends up and over the mountain. It is called that for good reason...:2cry:lol3
  7. Moto Vaquero

Oddometer:
    It looks like you guys were able to do the "No Wimps" trail. I heard there were fences, gates, armed guards and land mines out there. How did that go?
  8. TemeculaTim

Oddometer:
    Yep - first rode through there on XR600's about 20 years ago from the gulf side and we called that canyon Banjo Valley- it took us 12 hours to get through it. Tim Morton called it cry-baby canyon at one of the races a few years later and it kind of stuck.
    Lost Cartographer likes this.
  9. Moto Vaquero

Oddometer:
    On XR600's - I'm worn out just thinking about it.

Tell us about No Wimps. Was there any truth to the rumors? Heard (on Nomads) there were some graded roads headed to the coast from the South.

On another subject, I think you have ridden with a buddy of mine goes by Loren.
  10. pceire32

pceire32 Irish

Oddometer:
    Anybody heading South or coming North on Baja RTÉ 1 should know that on Tuesday April 23rd the road will be closed completely in both directions at Santa Thomas south of Ensenada from 3pm to 5pm. There has been road works going in the area for several weeks with about an hours delay each way & single file traffic. The reason for the closure is that they will be using explosives on the road improvement. :devildog:p3rry
  11. TemeculaTim

Oddometer:
    We sat for almost an hour going both ways- its a mess that will be going on for a long time. Good excuse to stop in and see Juan at Acambaro's. Juan is rider friendly and really has done a great job with this place and serve's up some great food. We can't wait for the new rooms he is building to be complete.
    20190406_091019.jpg 20190406_091136.jpg
    20190406_094612.jpg
    Watercat, knight, AZ TOM and 7 others like this.
  12. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heading down for Memorial Day Weekend, plannning on eating too many tacos, anybody up for a ride?
    AZ TOM and pceire32 like this.
  13. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Hey Tim, what's your plan? Route, big/small bike, camp, hotel ????
    pceire32 likes this.
  14. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn, I'm so wanting a Baja trip, but I'll be flying back from Argentina that weekend. First chance I might get is later in June, when it's hot but will just plan on sticking near the coast...
  15. tbarstow

Oddometer:
    Open at the moment. Was leaning towards big bike and some camping in Gonzaga.
    pceire32 likes this.
  16. tbarstow

Oddometer:
    Baja sucks. Don't come here.
    Lost Cartographer and AZ TOM like this.
  17. El Zorrillo

El Zorrillo charity case

Oddometer:
    You’re already out of bribe money and destroyed all your clean undies with firehose diarrhea? Wow, that was fast
    Lost Cartographer and Motorius like this.
  18. tbarstow

Oddometer:
    @Bigredwelder and I made a quick blast to Bahia de Los Angeles to take advantage of the unseasonably cool weather. Any Meyers from Stuffsack.com recommended a route on Laguna Salada from south of Mexicali. I'd never been that way, so we tried it. Red couldn't stop smiling the whole time.

[​IMG]

It started off nice and easy for the big bikes:
    [​IMG]

But we succeeded in getting off track a bit:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eventually, we ended up on part of the Baja 500 course that was a bit sandy in sections:
    [​IMG]

It got a bit challenging on the GSA:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Big thanks to Red for helping me extract the GSA from the burrow it kept trying to dig several times!

[​IMG]

Had to bushwack it a bit to stay off the tracked up sand.

Headed south from San Felilpe, we stopped in the Valle de los Gigantes to see the Sauguros.

[​IMG]

Had to hit the Cow Patty as well.
    [​IMG]

Mex 5 is in really rough shape, but getting put back together. There are a number of bridges that are out or damaged, along with a few miles of road that don't exist anymore.
  19. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Tim, lucky timing on the weather. We had a slightly different experience in Utah.

Running a 21" wheel on the GSA helps a lot in that deep sand. Can't wait to see more from your trip.
  20. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cardon cactus FYI, not the smaller Saguaro cactus from the Sonora desert I believe! Thank you for posting.