Baja Adventure Riders

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by bigtodd, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Beaumont Paco

Beaumont Paco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any other details, off road or road only
  2. motomarty

motomarty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm riding my BRP . Hoping to stay off as much highway as possible
  3. phixmup

phixmup ride'n 2 live Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    GF, you mean WIFE :viking That could work Tom, i'll probably only have 3/4 days max, i'll be England in October for 2 weeks so i'll try to make anything work. I can always buzz back by myself if i can't make the whole trip you guys are planning on.
  4. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I won't be able to make early Nov, but considering going down maybe around Oct 3-7 or so...
  5. GalacticGS

Oddometer:
    Has anyone been on the Rockman Trail lately - begins about 15 miles north of Catavina heading east across to Hwy 5 south of Puertecitos. Any status updates on trail conditions?
  6. phycospecialties

phycospecialties Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We are planning on doing rockman late September early October. Gonna torture a couple new guys. (TOLD MYSELF NEVER AGIAN AFTER THE FIRST TIME)
    I dont think it changes much since it basically consists of baby heads cemented in lava rock. With a pea gravel whooped out wash on one end and an endless silt bed on the Catavina end.

I'll post up with a small trail report when we get back.
    GalacticGS likes this.
  7. GalacticGS

Oddometer:
    That would be great. I want to do a series of small bike loop rides out of Catavina some time this fall or winter, and just want to make sure it's at least passable. It is a gnarly ride!
    jnyrav likes this.
  8. El Zorrillo

El Zorrillo charity case

Oddometer:
    I just looked up a few videos on YouTube, and it looks pretty challenging
  9. phycospecialties

phycospecialties Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Were basically doing large loops out of Catavina. Camper shell and 22day one day. Window rock plus the extension and Rockman the next day back to Catavina. Its gonna be a death March for sure!

I have some tracks for the west side of Catavina stuff we've done previously. Looking for the some thing new and secret for our initial ride into Catavina if anyone has Intel. Dont necasary need or want the tracks (takes some of the fun out if searching) But would appreciate any intel if you know what I'm looking for.
  10. GalacticGS

Oddometer:
    You can ride south from El Rosario/Punta Baja to take dirt all the way to Catavina (though perhaps you know that). Last time on one of the Nichols trails I did hit a locked gate (new since the last time I'd ridden through). I was solo and didn't try to find a way around but I'm sure there is one. It's a great way to get to Catavina. The whole Valley of the Cirrios is so freakin' beautiful - definitely one of my favorite areas to ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    AZ TOM, jnyrav, DeepSea and 7 others like this.
  11. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    El Zorrillo likes this.
  12. fuggy

fuggy Canyon Explorer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it hasn't changed much. Trail has held up well from those big storms they had last year that took out the highway. Expect lots of rocks and soft deep sand the requires lots of throttle.

Have you done Fred's Tractor Trail? It connects Coco's Corner to Catavina via a small rocky quad trail. From Catavina area, this 2 track breaks off west of Hwy close to where Camper Shell starts angling away from highway the other direction. Expect lots of rocks and a few steep sections. Lots of cardones in that valley.

Another good explore from Catavina is west of the Mission hotel, head past Santa Y'nes and go up the old rocky road and visit the old Missions De Santa Maria. Fun/challenging two track, plenty to explore back there. Swimming holes down there in the big wash also you can hike too. Would feel great this time of year.
  13. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Count down - 63 hrs 15 mins
    jnyrav and GalacticGS like this.
  14. El Zorrillo

El Zorrillo charity case

Oddometer:
    I try, but Larry and Bigtodd are tough to keep up with
    Bonnie & Clyde likes this.
  15. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Interesting weekend; exploring new trails and finding lots of locked gates, worked out with a smoking hot off-road racer from Spain, found some amazing new stuff out of Colonet, spent a few hours talking story on Mikes Sky Ranch Rd., and best of all hooked up with the Padres y Hijos Torneo de Pesce crew at Mike’s.

Get some pics up soon
  16. MufflerBearings

MufflerBearings Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone here crossed back from Mexicali into Calexico at the recently revised West (downtown) point of entry? I was familiar with the procedure at the old POE (squeeze through a couple of openings in the concrete barriers, cross lanes of waiting cars into the moto-only booth), but I haven't crossed via moto at the revised POE.

I'll be returning via Mexicali this weekend, and I'll be crossing on a street bike with a passenger and very wide side cases (the bike's; not the passenger's). Any wisdom on the procedure at the revised POE?
  17. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    @GalacticGS and I got in a quick 3 day Baja ride with plans of exploring some new trails/routes that we could add into our ever growing Baja Norte database. The plan was to stay away from the coast as there were two different events taking place; the San Vincente 250 and the Baja Rally. Heading out Friday morning:
    [​IMG]

The overall conditions were great, nice warm weather, light winds and perfect blue skies ... but ... pretty much every little trail we tried between Tecate and Ojos Negros either fizzled out or had a fence running across it. Most of the older ranch roads had gates with fresh looking locks. One unlocked gate took us to a working ranch where El Jefe waved us over for a talk. He told us no more riding in this valley, he said all the ranchers are very upset with all the 4 wheelers (ATV/UTV) causing too many problems.

Taking a little break on Compadre Trail where the big palapa used to be (Larry riding his 701):
    [​IMG]

My 500 exc in ADV mode:
    [​IMG]

We rode into Ojos Negros with plans of heading towards Tres Hermanos and then east on some old 2 track back to HWY 3. NO GO, brand new heavy gate across the road about 5 miles south of Ojos with a sign stating permission and permits required to use this "protected area". Again we went exploring every 2 track and cow trail only to find locked gates and new fencing. We backtracked our way out to HWY 3 and jumped on the recent Baja 400 course up towards the Caselli marker. The whole way there we saw crews of workers running barbed wire all over the place. Near the Caselli marker, we did a couple passes not finding the spot until we realized the local rancher had run new fencing on the eastern edge of the trees essentially blocking off access to Kurt's memorial.

Plan now was to stop in Valle T for tacos and gas, then take the Wine Rd out to Colonet and a hotel. We were both starving and the tacos never had a chance. Normally I get a pic of the fresh plate, not this time.
    [​IMG]

Taking a little break at the summit of the Wine Rd.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got to Hotel Paraiso aroud 4:00, locked up the bikes and grabbed a few cold ones, ordered a pizza and watched the sunset.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Several race crews from the San Vincente 250 pulled in throughout the night and the parking lot was full of support trucks and rumbling racers. After they all pulled out I started my morning stretching and heard a neighbor working out. Turns out the Dynamic Racing UTV broke a shock and was out of the race. Their hot shot driver was getting in a morning workout of what looked like P90 Yoga. Let me tell you is was hard not to stare, Christine Giampaoli Zanca is stunning ... she is also remarkably nice. She talked with Larry and I for 20 minutes about how lucky we are to be able ride the area. She and Dynamic Racing have lined up sponsors for the next DAKAR Rally.
    [​IMG]

We left Colonet heading East and into the mountains. We just took a general heading east and wound our way through lots of thriving farms. Got turned around a few times and eventually connected back to the Baja 400 course but now going back tracking the course towards El Coyote Ranch. Great mix of riding; winding sand river wash, some technical rock steps, water crossings and amazing rolling hills. Larry rolled into one water crossing that was about 10" deep for 20 yards and then 4' from the edge his whole bike was almost engulfed. We kept a steady pace so not a lot of pics through this area. We did stop on top of a hill looking east where the hills kept rolling:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We worked our way up to El Coyote Ranch and stopped for a coke and a rest in the grass under a shade tree.
    [​IMG]

The bikes got there own tree
    [​IMG]

Up the back way to Mike's and no, that road is not getting any better. Just seems to be getting worse and worse. Stopped at Mike's for a cold beer around noon and had an in depth discussion with little Miguel as to who the best Power Ranger was. He was very convincing that Power Ranger Azul was the best.

We rolled out of Mike's with plans to get to San Felipe. About 10 miles down MSR Road, Larry had a little hiccup and we ended up sitting in the shade for a while ... 3 hours. No need to go into a lot of details but this might be the 50th time Larry was looking at the road and asking me "what happened"
    [​IMG]

Things started clearing up for Larry and I'd been texting back and forth with @ToddLite using my new Garmin InReach and the iPhone app laying out contingency plans if needed. Larry was coming around and we decided to ride back to Mike's and then decide what our next move would be.

What a great decision, 1) Larry was riding ok but sore and 2) the annual Padres y Hijos Torneo de Pesca was back at Mike's. A group of us had been at Mike's 2 years ago and met this group and now here they were again. There were 2 doctors in the group who gave Larry the once over and deemed him OK. In the meantime, I was 3 deep into the martini bar.
    [​IMG]

There are about 70 peeps in this group with at least 20-25 kids. Many of the adults were kids themselves on their first trip. This year was 37 years ... every kid gets a trophy for an individual achievement.
    [​IMG]

Sunday morning we had a relaxed breakfast and took our time gearing up. Larry was doing much better and we headed out.
    [​IMG]

Nice casual ride back up Compadre to Tecate and we were loaded up and driving by 1:30.

When's the next one? :ricky
  18. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report. Thank God at 79 I have not had to deal with SXS's all my riding days. Enough said!
  19. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    Nice little trip. Thinking about popping my Baja cherry this winter with a quick long-weekend ride. Thanks for the inspiration.
  20. GalacticGS

Oddometer:
    Like Todd, I didn't take many pics - but here's a few...

Along the Compadre Trail heading south on Friday morning...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Along the Wine Road between Valle T and Colonet...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At Hotel Paraiso Colonet (Friday afternoon)...
    [​IMG]

Sat morning between Colonet and El Coyote Ranch...
    [​IMG]

A quick break at El Coyote...
    [​IMG]

Another quick break at Mike's Sky Ranch...
    [​IMG]

As Todd mentioned, about 10 miles from Mike's I took a pretty good fall. I have no recollection of the crash at all but seems obvious that I must have high-sided and took a pretty good hit on my left side on the hard-pack road. After I finally gained at least some of my senses back, we rode back to Mikes for the night where Todd could emjoy his reunion with the Padres y Hijos Torneo de Pesca group he had met a few years before. What a great group of people they were! Next morning, we just took it easy to head back to Tecate. Thanks to Todd for helping me after the crash. I'm really sore but nothing broken. Can't wait to get back to Baja again...