Baja Adventure Riders

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by bigtodd, Oct 11, 2013.

1. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Larry. Good to hear you’re ok.

Nice pics guys and not good that some of the roads are closed. We lose our riding areas if people don’t treat them with respect.
    AZ TOM likes this.
  2. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    the Mexican side of the crossing is under construction and things do change. You enter via the old route along the border fence, wind around a bit to the new facilities. There is a separate booth for motorcycles at the new crossing. Look for signs. I think you can come up the sentri lane and then cross through the k-rail to get to the mc booth.
  3. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    The times they are a changing. Ag has become big business run by large corporations. The days of go anywhere off roading have ended, especially in northern Baja. To many big groups of sxs, to many assholes that think they're Robby Gordon. A few dirt bikes or a couple slow moving jeeps were not an issue but now that anybody can go buy a 80mph razor and tear up a field or beach and more restrictions are bound to appear.

Just my $.02, worth half of that.
  4. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Could not have said it better!! I stop & think maybe I'll have one of those when I get older, but wait!! I am older & will never own one!!
  5. bajasam

bajasam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its the start of the end, once the locked gates start showing up .Now you'll start seeing clubs paying big bucks for access via annual donataion leases to ranch owners for guided rides only. It was bound to happen eventually.
    AZ TOM likes this.
  6. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    There's just too many damned people. We need a good ol' fashioned plague to thin things out a bit.
    Nomad88, Salsa and Burro driver like this.
  7. El Zorrillo

El Zorrillo charity case

Oddometer:
    I think one of the saddest things I ever saw in Baja was a group of close to 20 sxs going downhill towards the pacific when we were going uphill towasrds Mike’s. The last guy running sweep was Larry Roseler and his wife in one! Yeah, it felt kinda nice that he completmented me for riding my 950 on that route, but I sure was sad to see him in that shitbox.
    Lost Cartographer and AZ TOM like this.
  8. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
    Malcolm has a once a year run for SXS's only. I am sure He sets rules but it's just the sheer numbers that makes a nuisance. Hate to sidetrack a great thread like this one but we must face reality.
    Salsa likes this.
  9. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Hey Tom, no sidetrack of the thread whatsoever ... the SXS issue in Baja may be a bigger problem than other riding areas in the Southwest. In CA at least, these peeps are regulated to OHV areas which gives us some options; we can just ride elsewhere. The peeps going down to Baja truly believe they are driving through a lawless land where rules don't apply. It's especially an issues on roads like Compadre Trail that is a main route of traffic for local ranchers and farmers. Packs of 6 or more SXS's going flat out like it's a SCORE event is now a regular weekend thing. Some ranchers losing a few cows or worse, a couple of kids and the Govt will have to step in.

With OHV areas being reduced and further regulations and stricter enforcement of requirements to operate a SXS, the problem will get worse in Baja.

Riding in Baja isn't ever going to be the same as it was, even just a couple years ago. Never the less, it's imperative that we moto riders don't get lumped into the issue of "bad gringos".
    • Ride aware of the surroundings; slow down around farms, houses, villages, livestock
    • Be polite and friendly to the locals ... we are just visitors after all
    • Respect private property. PROHIBIDO means stay out, not ride through because no one is around
    • Learn a little Spanish, it's always surprising how much easier things go with just a formal greeting or polite question in Spanish

[​IMG]
    Nomad88, Todd157k, jnyrav and 8 others like this.
  10. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
    Last time I rode down there was 2006 & 2007 & loved it. Best riding ever. Hope things get better.
  11. 1224R

1224R Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sucks to say but it is like what Todd said the good times in baja are on the way out...

Nobody wants to go all the way down there just to ride fire roads that are going to have locked gates

Todd was that large group the same one that was there when we were with Arnie
  12. headstaller

headstaller Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMG_9579.JPG IMG_9580.JPG IMG_9584.JPG IMG_9585.JPG
    lvscrvs, jnyrav, NSFW and 6 others like this.
  13. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
    Museum piece for sure!
  14. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  15. AZ TOM

Oddometer:
    I could be wrong but I thought Frank ( wheely) Wheeler was the first Man to ride His Hodaka the full length of Baja?
  16. circusinthesky

circusinthesky SemperFidelisTyrannosaur

Oddometer:
    Hi there. Not been to Baja yet. I recently moved to the LA area after living in Oregon for 18 years. (Lots of great desert riding in Eastern Oregon!)
    Can anyone tell me, generally, are there some winter months where the weather is poor, and its better to skip? Or, maybe there are certain regions (coastal) to skip?

Thanks!
    Davidprej likes this.
  17. bajasam

bajasam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Might have been the first honda civic to race baja, but sure as heck wasn't a corporate Honda sponsored race car, a couple of honda loving backyard mechanic's looking for fun...........yes.
  18. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Winter riding in Baja is ideal! The biggest advantage is cooler temps for inland and eastern areas. The biggest downside is shorter days ... it can get really dark, really fast. Heavy rains can cause issues with roads being washed out and slick mud in some spots. I've been caught in snow storms and or freezing rain/hail crossing over both Compadre Trail and Laguna Hansen.

The only time to consider "skipping" a Baja trip is mid summer riding the eastern coastal areas and central deserts. It's just way too hot.
  19. Salsa

Salsa Long timer

Oddometer:
    After I read this (American Honda's First Race Car), I Emailed Dave Ekins to see if it was true. Here is his reply.

"Hi Don: Yes, I drove this untested thing until the drive shafts fell out for the umpteenth time. Then I took a back-up Honda back to civilization. The idiots built in more travel so at full extension the drive shafts would drop out onto the road, then the "go forward" device became useless. I don't like to walk.--Dave"

Don
  20. Salsa

Salsa Long timer

Oddometer:
    More comments from Dave Ekins.

Hi Don:: Bud and I finished one of the Great Race events in his antique sidecar, I think it covered about 500 miles, was well attended and ran smoothly. I think Bud’s rig had power to both the rear and side car wheel. It ran flawlessly. We powered past a lot of automobiles with that three wheeler.

That’s Bud at a Big Bear Chase. The 21inch front wheel was his trade mark. Also the white canvas kidney belt from Bates. No body went as fast in the those days.—gave

Bud  Ekins Early Desert reduced.jpg

Hi Don:: Bud and I finished one of the Great Race events in his antique sidecar, I think it covered about 500 miles, was well attended and ran smoothly. I think Bud’s rig had power to both the rear and side car wheel. It ran flawlessly. We powered past a lot of automobiles with that three wheeler.

(I think the Great Race was either a very early Cannonball Race or a predecessor.-- Don)