Baja Adventure Riders

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by bigtodd, Oct 11, 2013.

1. amockalypsenow

amockalypsenow dirtybiker

Oddometer:
    Heading down to laguna Hanson area this weekend, leaving from San Diego. Anybody wanna tag along?
  2. Aussie_Gringo

Aussie_Gringo I have a "get out of banning for a week" card

Oddometer:
    I'm considering purchasing retirement property (2+2 condo) in San Felipe area. Does anyone have any recent info on living an expat life there? including issues with property purchase in the San Felipe area? Any inmates in the area? Condos and homes are really cheap and nice and close to the Sea of Cortez. I'm heading down there to look at properties weekend of November 2nd, 2019. California is just to damn expensive to retire here. I've been through San Felipe many times on rides South and it seems like a great place to live. Thanks for any help. Neal
  3. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    They just dig up 47 bodies in Porto Penasco right across the Sea of Cortez, the cartel are now fighting for control of Mexicali, check our Borderland Beat, if you want to go to Mex just rent of lease, then you can exit quickly
  4. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, listen to Greg, don't go anywhere.:norton

We've lived just south of San Felipe for 5 years now. Biggest crime issue is petty property theft. As for purchasing property there are only two ways for a non- citizen to own property here. Either through a fiducimo (sp) bank trust or a corporation. Both options are used depending on the type of property as are 10 years leases. 10 years minus one day is the maximum legal length of a lease although you can include renewable options. My strong suggestion to you is to do your due diligence and use a Mexican attorney to review any lease or purchase documents.

As for living the ex-pat life here, we love it. Since you said condo I'll assume that is in town or north of town. There is a large ex-pat community here and El Dorado is the largest. There are many regular events and community groups of varying interests. It is hot in the summer so many people leave for a couple months but there are some who stick around. AC helps. You can live here for much less than California but I wouldn't make that my sole criteria. Riding is less than idea unless you like lots of sand and fishing is better a bit south.

Apartments and rentals can be had cheap so the standard advice to rent first if you're unsure applies.

While San Felipe was not even on our radar when we started looking for a place in Baja, we grown to love it here. There are some drawbacks like everywhere so you'll have to decide what's important to you. Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions.

Final bit of advice given to me many years ago: your investing in a foreign country, things can and do change, don't invest more than you are willing to walk away from.
  5. bajasam

bajasam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All good advice except the part about using a mex attorney....don't. Make sure you use an american Title insurance company to process the purchase and they will have fulltime attorney's on staff that retain legit mex att'y if needed, after all they're insuring your title(lease) and must pay you if you are somehow cheated out of you property. There's over a million americans living fulltime in mexico so maybe look for a forum and ask many questions and find a good title co. in your area with mex experience
  6. Aussie_Gringo

Aussie_Gringo I have a "get out of banning for a week" card

Oddometer:
    Thanks Guys for the advice! Glad you popped in 805gregg, it's been a while. Call me stubborn but the Hacienda Condos are really nice and gated and there's 3 I'll be looking at next weekend. I'm single, no family, so risks to others don't really exist.

Thanks again. Rents in California keep me from retiring here and I've always loved the area between Gonzaga Bay and San Felipe.

Edit: There is no garage for my dual sport and truck which is a major drawback.
  7. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aussie_Gringo and Davidprej like this.
  8. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Baja 1k course got bombed out by this last storm, the race has been post poned bu at least 24 hrs.
    Aussie_Gringo likes this.
  9. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Anyone have first hand info regarding trail/road conditions after the last couple of storms? Anything impassable or blown out?
    • Compadre
    • Laguna Hansen
    • South of San Felipe
    • Rock Trail
    • Catavina area
    Beaumont Paco likes this.
  10. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    My buddy just raced this weekend in Tecate (Los Ancianos hare scrambles or some such) and said conditions were awesome. Another friend has a house about 20 miles south of San Felipe - no problems Thanksgiving weekend. He's down there now on a ride and should be back in a few days with more intel
    El Zorrillo and bigtodd like this.