Baja and Beyond 2019

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Thomasrh, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Thomasrh

Thomasrh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Planning I’m traveling from Southern California, through Baja Mexico, hopping a ferry to the mainland and riding to Monterrey in early to mid November this year. Who’s out there planning something similar? Who wants to ride? I plan on buying a DRZ400 and riding a 50/50 mix dirt and pavement and camping wherever. Tacos on me if your serious.
  2. Sparta683

Sparta683 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Me and two friends will be in Baja headed north towards Tecate then home in early November (1st through the 7th). Keeping the daily destinations flexible but I’ll watch this thread to see where you’re at and at least we could meet up and say hello with cervezas and tacos!
    Thomasrh likes this.
  3. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whats in (besides like, 1.5 mil people) Monterrey? I love Mexico but never thought of "there" as a destination.
  4. Thomasrh

Oddometer:
    Just some friends, not to sure how long I’ll be there. Also not sure if I’ll loop back around through the United States or back track through Baja. Never been anywhere south of the boarder, been doing some research. I have no time restraints on this trip either.
  5. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thomas if you have never been south of the “ boarder” ( spelling ? definition ?? -> hint ) and you do have friends “ boarding “ in Monterrey you have a perfect excuse for visiting that big city .
    Besides “ boarding houses” there are quite a variety of things in Monterrey that can entertain you. Yes it is big and can be busy on the main streets and highways but you can dial it back , slow it down to a pace you feel comfortable with .
    There are the big Yamaha , Kawasaki and Honda stores for service and parts and tires on Pino Suarez , there is also the old small historic center of the old city . Various Museums exist near there if that sort of thing interests you . I understand there are tours of the Moctezuma and Tecate breweries sometimes if that interests you.Todo con medida.
    There are the super wealthy and modern suburbs of San Pedro and Sta Catarina which climb high up onto the mountain face to the south while divided from main Monterrey to their north by a big rocky hill. Explore the hillside up to Chipinque ecological park and find the mirador for the view over the city .

I suggest that if you go through Baja then ONCE during this trip is enough . Remember that the ferry ride to / from either will use up at least one day and costs 2300 to 2700 pesos one- way ( plus an elective cabin possibly .
    If you do enter Baja and intend to cross by ferry then get the FMM AND THE TVIP BOTH AT THE BORDER. Failure to get the FMM at the border in all cases will prevent you getting onto any ferry from Pichilingue , getting the TVIP at the port is possible but should be done for your comfort before 3 pm on any day ( the office times vary but are much shorter than the later ferry sailings loading times)
    There are plenty enough different interesting routes IN MEXICO mainland to get you back over to your west coast point to re enter the USA . And hotels in Mexico will cost you less than hotels in the USA
    Tricepilot, kantuckid and Sparta683 like this.
  6. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Monterrey is not far from many other Mexico places of interest just south of there but given your time frame, research away as much is to be found!
  7. Thomasrh

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the information @Sjoerd Bakker about the TVIP I’ll make sure to do that. Any other routes back to the USA you folks recommend?
  8. Roadmonster96

Roadmonster96 n00b

Oddometer:
    I am planning on being in Baja for the for the 1000 this year, not sure if you will still be on the peninsula while I am there.
  9. Little Faus

Little Faus Little Faus

Oddometer:
    Monterey is a big city with big city sites; museums, churches, etc., not really a tourist town. It's your trip, do what you want.
  10. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    faus “” Monterrey is .... not really a tourist town””

Meaning ??? .... that it is not smothered with gawking foreigners running around ticking off a list of tourist sights and sites and attractions and waiting for the 3 pm performance of some “authentic Mexican “ performance in the lobby of the Hilton before they retire for a booze up with other tourists ?

I think it is precisely because it is NOT so listed that it is worthy of a visit and a good look around.
    It is indeed your trip , do as you wish but do try to look beyond “ tourist “ oriented venues and churches.
    Thomasrh and pceire32 like this.
  11. Thomasrh

Oddometer:
    Not sure what I’ll be doing, I’m expecting to do a mix of “touristy” and non tourist things. Mostly looking forward to good food and tequila.
  12. Little Faus

Little Faus Little Faus

Oddometer:
    You ask for my meaning (with three question marks), but then put words in my mouth. I guess you assume I like towns with lots of "gawking tourists"? When you're in Mexico, I assume you don't gawk at tourist things? What do you do when you're in town. Restaurants, bars?
  13. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lighten up Faus , this was not a personal attack or insult aimed at you .
    I am not putting any words in your mouth nor implying that these things are what you meant , not at all . Quoting your source phrase was only a way of providing a theme for what I was expressing , MY opinion, not yours.
    Notice I ended the whole conjecture with another question mark.
    I was just running off a short list of the things which I repeatedly see , things mentioned as being
    called tourist attractions ergo “ must see items” .
    I was making the point that any place does not need to have such “ tourist” things touted by a press bureau ..in order to merit a visit whether it is a big city like Monterrey or some rural village .

I do look at everything , everywhere I go. I eat at restaurants often enough but avoid any where people actually wait in line because they were told it was the place to be . I stay away from bars although some can be nice to look at . A030EF09-927F-42CE-B130-BB5B365ACAFE.jpeg E0C49CBD-4A30-4D57-A383-44B99F95D701.jpeg 12E53992-8677-4DF6-8C5E-13E53E73C6AD.jpeg
    Cal likes this.
  14. Thomasrh

Oddometer:
    Also this thread was meant to see who was going to be in Baja and Monterrey area during the same time I am. Always down to meet members of this community because in the past they have always been super helpful and awesome people!
    Dhermz likes this.
  15. Little Faus

Little Faus Little Faus

Oddometer:
    My comment pointed out that Monterey is not a tourist town. I stand by that. I don't remember standing in line to eat anywhere in Monterey, but you're the expert. Just my two cents.
  16. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    .. and I agreed with you that Monterrey is not a tourist town , and nobody said that you stood in line
    for any restaurant or suggested you did .
    I’m sorry .it has nothing to do with expertise , just some observation and personal opinion . You are free to feel offended if that makes you happy:-)
  17. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was near Monterrey one time in late November. It was citrus harvest season
    Thousands of overloaded trucks laboring over thousands of topa’s
    Allow extra time.
  18. Little Faus

Little Faus Little Faus

Oddometer:
    I'm not offended Sjoerd. You might note that I have sent 103 messages in 12 years. I try to comment only on things that I know from first hand knowledge with the occasional observation and personal opinion. You are recognized as a Mexico expert on this website, and I respect that. Have a nice day back!
  19. intothewildBC

intothewildBC n00b

Oddometer:

Hey man,

You still planning on your Baja trip. I am hoping to go down around that similar time frame. Will be driving a CRF450L. I will be entering Baja from San Diego area
  20. motomarty

motomarty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We should all plan a hook up somewhere along the way