Baja Bound in November

Discussion in 'Americas' started by liv2day, Aug 28, 2018.

1. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Just as an fyi, I talked to my friend that rode from Mikes to El Coyote last weekend. He's a good rider and rides down there all the time and he rated the ride after passing Mikes as 7-8 out of 10. They were on 450's. So unless the 800 is going solo and the rider is a really good at offroad and technical, I'd send the 800 down to Ensenada to Hwy 1 and then up the Observatory Road (which is pretty darn fun) to get to El Coyote.
  2. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome, thanks @jonz for that intel! I literally just sent the GPX file to my buddy who's riding the Tiger. My guess is he'd be ok riding it solo given that description, but not 2-up. He's a hell of a rider and has great off-road skills, but on a big bike with passenger and gear, probably wouldn't be much fun. I'll get a track setup to reroute him to Ensenada, Hwy 1, and then up the observatory road.

Thanks again for all the feedback and input, would like to buy you and quite a few others several beers (or whiskies):beer :beer
  3. Rhode trip

Rhode trip guided by voices Supporter

Oddometer:
    We rode from Lazaro Cardenas via Valle de la Trinidad from Rt 3 down to Rt 1. That would be fine on the Tiger.
  4. Rhode trip

Rhode trip guided by voices Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think we will go to Copper Canyon this time.
  5. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Perfect :thumb:thumb
  6. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Cross Over Road is done by locals in passenger cars daily.

It's here on Google maps: https://www.google.com/maps/@31.242...ib2i1HBWQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en&authuser=0
    liv2day likes this.
  7. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks SB! Already added a track and made it yellow so I can rub it in...LOL
    . cross over road track.JPG
  8. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I need to clarify the waypoints of Meling and El Coyote, as I'm not sure which place you want to stay at.
    The waypoints I posted are for Mikes and Meling (Rancho Meling) but you've labelled Meling as Rancho El Coyote Meling where the latter is in a different location.
    I've attached another file clarifying the locations and identifications.
    Rancho El Coyote Meling http://www.ranchoelcoyote.com/
    Rancho Meling http://ranchomeling.com/

Attached Files:

9. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Gah...I need to get my $hit together a bit more (damn Baja N00b...lol). I had to go back and reference one of @BigDogAdventures reports (the one from '17). They stayed at the Meling ranch and it looks fantastic from the pics and his recommendation. Going to update my tracks so we land at the right ranch...sheesh.

Rancho Meling it is (no clue why I combined Rancho El Coyote with Meling, though I read they're owned by cousins. Thanks for the help @Hill Climber!
    Hill Climber likes this.
  10. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    No problem. Wasn't sure where you wanted to land at days end for the night.
    Change the name of your waypoint from Rancho El Coyote to Rancho Meling and you're good to go.
    Reading this planning thread is making me want go, dam....
  11. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Join us! It'd be great to have another rider along :nod:nod. We'll have 3 riders during the trek down, with my buddy who has a place in Posada riding 2-up (though this isn't 100% yet - he might be riding solo). Myself and the other guy are Baja N00bs. For the trek back, my good buddy is flying into Loreto and taking a spare bike back to the border (and another N00b).

We'll have a riding hiatus 11/11 through 11/20 as my family is flying down and we're going to have a blast doing our family vacation (and I'm seriously amped to have our boys experience Baja). Hell, you could head down after the 1k and join us for the trek back to the border.

I'm going to get the return tracks started today...muwahahahaha - where's the devil on the shoulder emoticon...lol.
  12. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the invite! I've already committed to riding with my son 11/10 - 11/17 but if circumstances change, I'll keep it in mind!
  13. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Could always extend the vaca - be in Mulege on the 20th and then start the trek north with us maroons :D:D. Going to try and hug the Cortez side on the way back, with a trek to the Pacific side on day 1 out of Mulege, ending in San Ignacio.
  14. liv2day

Oddometer:
    A question for the folks familiar with the Cortez side from San Felipe to Gonzaga bay - any off-road tracks between those two locations? Or is it better to take Hwy 5 (or whatever the paved road is between 'em)?

Have the first three days of the return trip plotted, but not sure if it'd be a better idea to ride asphalt up to San Felipe, or head west across the peninsula and retrace some of the tracks we took south.

Thx.
  15. princess jamaica

princess jamaica OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer:
    "Buddy in Posada".Tom ??
  16. liv2day

Oddometer:
    The one and only. And I do mean only...LOL
  17. jonz

Oddometer:
    Old Puertocitos Rd parallels the highway. If you haven't gotten to experience Baja whoops by that point, that will give you a chance to do so. You can also ride parts of the beach off and on along that stretch.
  18. liv2day

Oddometer:
    LOL...thanks @jonz. On a side note, I found the GPX track you posted for getting out to Guadalupe Canyon. I'm considering that as our destination for day 4, but think it'd be a long arse day of riding as we're coming from Alfonsinas (going to camp and not stay in the hotel at Alfonsinas). Thought about heading west from San Felipe, but don't know where to stay unless we hit Mike's or Rancho El Coyote. Thoughts?
  19. jonz

Oddometer:
    I'd chose Guadalupe Canyon by a long shot. Really neat spot. Here's a link to their website:

http://guadalupecanyonoasis.com/EcoCamping.html

The only caveat being DON'T try to cross the dry lake bed if it is or has been raining a lot. Should be easily do able in a day if you stick to highways.

If you're going to camp near Alfonsina's, I've heard good things about Campo Beluga about 10 miles to the south. The palapas that Rancho Grande and/or Alfonsina's rents out aren't worth the money.
  20. princess jamaica

princess jamaica OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer:
    It will be good to see him again.Ride safe.
    liv2day likes this.