Baja Bound in November

Discussion in 'Americas' started by liv2day, Aug 28, 2018.

1. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool, thanks @jonz! Camping at Guadalupe Canyon looks fantastic, just have to figure out how we'll get back to Tecate if w make that our last night. It's ~225 miles from Alfosinas to Guadalupe, add 10 miles to that if we back-up the previous night to the camp you mention (which sounds better). Might break it up into 2 days and stay in San Felipe one night and then head to the canyon for our 2nd night (I'm playing with days 10-12). Day 9 ends with us at Alfosinas or Camp Beluga. Can do day 10 to San Felipe and day 11 to Guadalupe. Then it looks like taking Hwy back to Tecate to cross the border and start the long arse drive back to OR.

Or maybe ditch that and head back inland and retrace our route, though I'd rather see new stuff (albeit not asphalt new...lol).
  2. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
  3. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Somebody say La Rumerosa?? How about racing down in a 800hp Trophy Truck? It doesn't get an more bad ass than that!

jonz, Todd157k and Hill Climber like this.
  4. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's an army checkpoint westbound on 2D about where you turn due west.... maybe best to hit the highway before it and go through the checkpoint. Otherwise you may risk the possibility of a few Humvees chasing after you !!
    One can get onto the old road easily after the checkpoint.
    liv2day likes this.
  5. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    Is there anybody his guy doesn't know?
    Rode down there on street bikes March '17 with my son in law. Had a couple beers at Hells, spent the night at Lucys' as Tom was nowhere to be found. Something I've learned to anticipate from him.
    Safe ride, liv2day :beer
  6. jonz

Oddometer:
    I've always thought being the navigator on that part of the course must be one of the more terrifying experience one could have

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Hill Climber likes this.
  7. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @Motomantra! I've known TY for 15 or 16 years now, had a blast instructing for PSSR as well as trying to ditch him in the woods when we'd ride TSF. Good people. I'm really looking forward to riding Baja with him, though I doubt he'll see much of me from all the dust I leave him in...lol.
  8. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Yeah, don't want anything other than fellow riders chasing me...lol. Thanks for the heads-up @Hill Climber, I just finished the last track, going to upload shortly.
  9. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks a ton for putting that Google Maps route together @jonz, it was the perfect resource for plotting the track in Mapsource. I'm pretty sure I mirrored exactly what you laid out in maps, but I'd appreciate you taking a look at the GPX if you have the time?

Aside from wanting to plot out a few alternatives, the 12 days of riding is mapped out! Sincere thanks to all that provided input and assistance in helping this N00b get this trip put together. I'm seriously stoked for November to get here.

Attached Files:

10. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    On day 4, if your buddy riding 2-up wants a break from the sand, he should continue onto Highway 1 at El Arco.. I seem to remember some deep sand on your track from Arco to Vizcaino, only because the last time I rode through there, the guy in front of me launched out of the track and took out a cactus... his radiator didn't fair too well.

On day 4 or 9, you might consider an alternate track.... Attached is a track that's called the Green Door Trail, (named so because there used to be a truck green door marking the north end of the trail) if you want to add a bit of spice to your ride.

Attached Files:

11. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Awesome, thanks @Hill Climber! I'll add that option and suggest he meet back up with us in Vizcaino or San Ignacio. Deep sand on a Tiger 2-up sounds no fun. Heck, I'm not a fan of sand and I'll be on the little 2-fiddy...lol.

I remember reading about the green door trail in a couple Baja reports, I'm going to add that for the trek back as I imagine my buddy flying down will want to do that!

One question - better to run that trail from the north heading south or vice-versa? Or is it good both ways?

Invite still stands :beer:beer
    Hill Climber likes this.
  12. jonz

Oddometer:
    It looks about correct but with my crummy maps in this computer, I can't tell for certain and Mapsource for some reason is not letting me see the file in Google Earth.
  13. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Green door trail can be run either way, no difference. No elevation gains, just a fun trail.. If you run from north to south, you'll probably miss the turn to head east and wind up at a rancho, (we always do) but it's a short way back to get back on track.
  14. superhobie

superhobie Soil Sampler

Oddometer:
    Not much difference either direction as its pretty flat but maybe slightly easier going north. We went through there in Mid 2016 lost my GoPro as its got a decent amount of overgrown scrub that gives you a nice whipping effect.
  15. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    jonz, I converted the file to both a kml and a kmz file and for some reason this site won't allow me to upload a Google Earth file, so if you want the GE file, PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you.
  16. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input on the green door trail @jonz, @Hill Climber, and @superhobie, think we'll hit it as we head north on the return trek :nod:nod.

I have the google earth file too, took a screen shot of the track in Mapsource and also in GE - looks to be the same. There were a couple turns I wasn't sure about, but zooming into the satellite view from maps showed the same "roads". And if not...it's always an adventure...lol. mapsource_route.JPG
    google-earth_route.JPG
  17. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was

Oddometer:
    We should get together soon and go over your route plan. I'm concerned for the tiger part. Remember how much fun we had down in SE Oregon when the weather messed with the big plan!

This trip is different. Bailouts and pinch flats can mess up your kinda tight schedule.

If you plan to go to the Gabe thing next Sunday we could go over your plans, otherwise you'll have to ride out to my place in Columbia City to drink my beer and get free advice.

Saludos, Hells
  18. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's a lot of construction, potholes and detours throughout Baja.
    I was recently pointed to this site for current conditions: http://www.discoverbaja.com/baja-california-information/road-conditions/
    The Tiger rider while riding the pavement "go-arounds" should have a look at this and plan his/their timing appropriately. I now remember stories from last years Baja 1000 of trucks with trailers on highway 1 rupturing tires and destroying rims and suspension in the huge potholes, more than once.
    I may be doing a trip to either Santa Rosalia or La Paz in November and the article reminded me that I'd have to budget quite a bit of extra time to my itinerary.
  19. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Sounds good Hells, did you have a chance to look at the GPX files posted? Think I'll need to figure out multiple alternatives if TY is riding 2-up? Pretty sure based on the feedback from the thread thus far that we'll be good on the smaller bikes. I'm slightly concerned about the daily mileage, but that's because I like to stop and take a ton of pictures and get video.

Doubt this Sunday will work as we'll have the boys with us, but we'll figure something out.
  20. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that link @Hill Climber, good intel! Looks like we'll hit stuff on our way north to San Felipe on the way back, same thing as we head west toward Tecate on our last day.

Doesn't look like we'll have much to contend with in Baja Sur :D