Baja Bound in November

Discussion in 'Americas' started by liv2day, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Emasen

Emasen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, long story, I'm from Ireland, Europe but have been chasing the Baja 1000 for the last 8yrs now as pit crew with BF Goodrich.
    FYI, the hotel in Catavinia is a little expensive but clean. Use the local restaurant opposite for real food and local prices.
    pceire32 and liv2day like this.
  2. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heading to San Felipe over the TG holiday.. from Tecate crossing. Probably take Hansen down.. gas up in Ojos Negros.. tacos in Trinidad.. and cross the dry lake bed to SF. Doesn't look like the hurricanes are going to affect SF area.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated. Maybe a different return track would be nice if anyone has anything.
  3. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Todd157k - we're planning to be in San Felipe 11/24 and then either head to Guadalupe Canyon HS or if fuel doesn't work out, head to the cabins @BigDogAdventures stayed at during their 2016 ride. You going to be around during that time frame?

Thanks to @jonz, I have a track heading north from San Felipe to the HS and then continuing north toward MX 2, riding off-road past La Rumorosa. Looking for something like that?

I'm still refining my tracks because of fuel constraints. Happy to share if you want.
  4. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @liv2day yes.. we (Brother, son, and I) are going down to SF on Friday 11/23.. hang out in SF on Sat 11/24.. head back to Tecate on Sun 11/25.
    The fuel may be a big problem for us if we try to make it to the HS. Our range is about 150 miles max. since my 701 IS the big bike on this ride. The hot springs sounds like a good place to relax for a few though. We may have to scoot over to Sawmill for some "jug" gasoline. I've done it before. Nice people, cool little place to eat, gas was ok to use.
    We wanted to stay at Hotel Costa Azul in SF however, I can't seem to get them to give me a reservation. No one there speaks english.. so I had a friend call. Then twice they said they'd send me a reservation request in the email.. and it never came. I have reservations at a place a couple blocks away.

edit: I don't see anything that goes from/to HS to sawmill. There's a bunch of stupid mountains in the way.
  5. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Now that sounds like a great weekend away! We haven't picked a place to stay in SF yet, but had Hotel El Capitian as one option (Hotel el Cortez too). I'm leaning toward going a bit further north and staying at Pete's Camp: https://petescamp.com/about/ (another place Bigdog stayed). Palapa right on the beach - sounds about perfect.

Range is the big issue for us as well. I'm hoping the gas referenced by @jonz and @MJS at La Ventana is there, this makes going to the HS doable (we have ~130 mile range limitation). Plan to ask about it when we get to SF.

And yeah - nothing goes over the mtns from the HS, have to dip all the way south and head north.
  6. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    For those who are planning to stay at Catavina, it's best to make a reservation if you know your dates. They sell out regularly. Contact the hotel directly, don't use the online booking.
  7. Sam Hayes

Sam Hayes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's a track from the hot springs up the dirt grade and thru the pine forest to Rancho Santa Veronica . The pemex at the bottom of the grade is about 30 miles from the hot springs.

Attached Files:

8. Sam Hayes

Sam Hayes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry about 40 miles
  9. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Crap, thanks @MJS! I need to get on calling for a reservation, original plan was to camp on the coast, but we don't have enough range to do so and keep riding the next day :eek7

Suggestions on a good hotel there? I'll dig through old ride reports too, but that could save me some time.
  10. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only two choices in Catavina, Hotel Mision Catavina (01 200 124 9123) or Restaurant Mi Cabana (otherwise known as the Pink Hotel). If Mision says they're full then ask for the habitacion economica. They usually have some lower priced rooms in the back for truck drivers.
    Emasen and Johnny Drunkard like this.
  11. liv2day

Oddometer:

Thanks @MJS! Sent the Mission Hotel an inquiry on a reserving a room, we'll see what they get back to me with (will also call tomorrow if I don't hear anything). I found another spot that looks like it's perfect for us (well, most of us...lol) and that's Rancho Santa Inez. Imagine we'll opt to camp there and avoid the $$$ of the hotel, plus that campground looks damn cool.

On another note - any chance someone knows of fuel being available as you make your way south from BOLA toward San Ignacio via El Arco? Any chance there's fuel in El Arco? We're at 160 miles until we hit the Pemex in El Vizcaino - can't make it that far from BOLA :eekers :eekers
  12. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Possibly fuel at Rancho Piedra Blanca. contact them in advance to let them know you're coming. https://www.facebook.com/Rancho-Piedra-Blanca-117528994938225/
  13. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks again @MJS. I don't do FB, but one of the guys going does - I'll get him to reach out and ask. Appreciate the info, that'll make it possible for us to do the track and not veer into San Francisquito to get fuel.

Can't believe we're just over a week out from leaving.
  14. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Same deal with San Francisquito as far as gas. If you're not camping there Piedra Blanca is more on your way and would be a better choice. But I highly recommend camping at SF if you like beautiful remote Baja beaches. Just let them know ahead of time what you want. You contact them through the son, Leonel at
    https://www.facebook.com/leonel.peraltaarce
    Food is good to great as long as you like fresh fish and there are cold beers to go along with the food.
    [​IMG]

BTW, some of my local buddies just got back from a Baja ride. Hwy 5 south from Puertocitos is trashed but you can get through. I used to figure 45 minutes to 1 hour to Coco's Corner from Puertocitos but it will be longer now
    Steve G. and liv2day like this.
  15. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that contact @jonz! We're camping at SF on the way back north and getting gas there will be a must. And I sincerely hope I'm able to post a picture just like you included...that's simply fantastic :thumb
  16. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Any more specific info on the road south from puertocitos? Im thinking of using my cb500x and not the ktm500. First Baja adv on my bike.
  17. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    liv2 day-------------------you need to address your limited fuel range.
    It's causing you all kinds of problems and worries---and that's not even considering if you had to back track.
    You'll be riding scared the whole time.
    I wouldn't go until you address that issue. It's very simple.

As Jonz said that dry lake bed can be impassable-------you won't know till you get there. Internet blab will be pretty useless as conditions will changed from day to day.
    There are several ways to get to those hot springs---------some really, really, really, really deep sand too.
    BigDog
    HellsAlien likes this.
  18. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Many of the bridges are damaged but there are work arounds for all. Cars are making it so I'm sure your CB500x will be fine as long as you're okay with short stretches of sand. Pay attention to any caution markings in the road i.e. tires, rocks, cones, etc as those mark the work arounds and sometimes it takes a second or two to figure them out. One interesting note: the flooding filled all the wells in Puertocitos with mud so no one there has well water, just whatever is trucked in. This info from Cow Pattys
    Migolito likes this.
  19. liv2day

Oddometer:
    I agree, but it is what it is. I have a 4.7 gal tank on my WR and will likely be donating fuel if the need arises. We'll have spare fuel bladders along for the ride and I've been able to plan things such that we won't have stretches longer than 120 miles between fuel stops (hopefully, Rancho Piedra Blanca sells us fuel during day 4 ride). It would be nice if all the bikes had a range of ~200 miles, but that's not going to happen...it'll be part of the adventure :D
    Migolito likes this.
  20. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Any chance someone has an email address for Raquel & Larry's in BOLA? I found their FB page, but I don't do FB and they don't have an email us link. Hoping to send them a note and ask if they have room/let them know we're coming :-)