Baja Bound in November

Discussion in 'Americas' started by liv2day, Aug 28, 2018.

1. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Raquel and Larry's is run by Ruth Batista. And sorry to say, the only way I know to connect with her is via Facebook :doh https://www.facebook.com/ruth.batista.39 She also uses that phone app everyone else (but me) uses - I even forget the name. The place has been fixed up quite a bit and it's where I stay now. Can't beat the location and views. Here's a shot of the repaired upper level and the view
    [​IMG]
    Steve G. and liv2day like this.
  2. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of the guys going does FB, I'll have him reach out (he's already supposed to be hitting Piedra Blanca for fuel; same thing for San Francisquito). And I'm with you - don't use the phone app, though I've heard of it :rofl. I'm old skool like that :-)

Thanks @jonz!
  3. Emasen

Emasen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Quick comment.
    I've learnt more about offroad Baja in 1 week following these posts than I have following the 1000 over 8 years..... thanks.
    Oh and have a great holiday guys.
    liv2day, Migolito and Motomantra like this.
  4. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jonz , did you try googling the hotel name ? seems sort of obvious :lol3
    They have a website and it shows a little envelope to clik to send an email. Email adresses seem to be getting getting less used
    I've noticed that a lot of the places that ask for "valued input " appear to really not want to get it because they make their access difficult by using those " social media " channels , more junk to sign up with and remember passwords for .
    20181027101053.png
  5. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Haven't been on it in a few years, but that's a fun route over the mtns...
  6. Arrivo

Arrivo Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    AH yes, Loreto... We had a great trip planned and then - a kidnapping and protest shut us down instantly. In Ciudad Constitution the only road north was completely shut down with trucks. When I talked to a gringo and he said get out of here we did - despite the best efforts of a semi to trap us in. The cheap ass rental car made it by 2” on each side and we drove back to La Paz. No thanks - and good luck. Ours was bad luck but glad to hear you enjoyed Loreto!
  7. Sam Hayes

Sam Hayes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's the dirt grade
    DSC00104.jpg
    thirsty 1 and FutureBoy like this.
  8. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fuel is available on the east coast at San Felipe, Bahia Gonzaga [most times], and for sure Santa Rosalia.

BTW, Bahia Gonzaga is a fantastic place to stop.
  9. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Crazy to think we're leaving for the border in a couple days :eekers:eekers

Looking for suggestions on staying in Tecate. I found a ideas from another thread (Hotel Pairiso and Rancho Santa Veronica), wondering if anyone had additional suggestions? We're hoping to cross in Tecate 11/4, not sure if we'll have enough daylight to ride to the Rancho.

Appreciate any input!
  10. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    RSV isn't far off the road and the dirt road there is BIG, WIDE, and GRATED.
  11. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @Todd157k! Any idea how long (time) of a ride it is from crossing the border to get there? And we're switching back to riding by Laguna Hanson - the 2-up Tiger rider is flying solo and will be able to hit anything we hit...WOOT!
    HellsAlien likes this.
  12. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    45 mins or so from the border.
    liv2day likes this.
  13. brianwilli50

brianwilli50 n00b

Oddometer:
    When are you crossing the boarder?

I am in LA for a couple days then Yucca Valley for the weekend. I am looking at crossing Tecate on Monday the 5th? Thinking it would be good to cross with some going down around the same time. I am ultimately headed to Todos Santos for a wedding.
  14. liv2day

Oddometer:
    We'll probably cross 11/4 and spend the night in Tecate (or further southeast at Rancho Santa Veronica) so we can get started riding early and not deal with the border crossing on the 5th. It's supposed to take ~18 hours on the drive, imagine we'll be on the US side sometime late Saturday, 11/3. Take our time on the 4th to cross and either hang in Tecate or get some miles logged.
  15. brianwilli50

brianwilli50 n00b

Oddometer:
    Copy that. I'll keep in touch over the weekend. See how the next couple of days go. I don't think I'll be ready by the 4th, but I'll keep in touch along the way. May catch you for a beer and some tacos along the way!
  16. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Sounds good! I'll check this thread when we get down to Tecate on the US side where we're storing our rig & trailer.
  17. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    RSV is $65 or so and okay but not that great the last few times I was there. Estancia Inn in Tecate was about the same price and very nice. I was able to park my bike directly in front of the security guard.
  18. jadolee

jadolee n00b

Oddometer:
    http://www.bajagpsguide.com

I spent a month in Baja riding and following her guides. Bajagpsguide.com gives you the info you need to survive the adventure.
  19. FutureBoy

FutureBoy Meandering around

Oddometer:
  20. TemeculaRider

TemeculaRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man, do I miss that place and can't believe how long it's been since I was there. The last time Larry and I shared a cocktail or two. I thought Larry was going to have a very rough time the next day but I got woken up by him hitting golf balls at about sunrise.