Baja by XR...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by neduro, Feb 13, 2004.

1. neduro

neduro Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's a few teaser pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    hall of fame for #1 pic. keep them coming.
  3. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap
  4. neduro

Oddometer:
    Spent about a month in Baja, ending last week. Not to be obvious, but it was amazing- we spent a couple weeks up north, and then ran down to La Paz following the Baja 2k route, mostly. A truly awesome trip to a fuggin' amazing place... Full trip report to follow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. kirkmoon

kirkmoon Making up for lost youth

Oddometer:
    :eek2 :clap :clap :clap :thumb :thumb
  6. MountainMan

MountainMan accelerating

Oddometer:
    Fantastic :clap

More bitte.

-MM
  7. richard cabesa

richard cabesa The Mayor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey, your hair is on fire :hair

Looks like a great trip. :thumb

David
  8. somecallmetim

somecallmetim Surf &/or Die

Oddometer:
    I am greenwith envy, yff. Superb pics, bring on the ride report...:cry
  9. Stumby

Stumby 2 wheels needed

Oddometer:
    Outstanding pictures! Definatly share the rest!!!

:clap
  10. motobrett

motobrett Dazed and Confused!

Oddometer:
    Where the fug was that first photo shot? I'm green with envy, and red with jealousy!
  11. neduro

Oddometer:
    On some sand dunes north of San Felipe (about halfway to Mexicali, on the East side of the road). The dunes are great, and extend up into the volcanic looking crags above... a trippy place to ride. F'in steep, too, which doesn't come through in the pics too well. Maybe a little better in these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whatever the case, it was really fine sand from the mudflats on the north end of the sea of Cortez. I went over the bars once when more than half of my front wheel disappeared beneath the sand, in about 3rd gear, descending and heading toward a rock wall. I couldn't figure out a way to stay on the gas and not die, and as soon as I let off at all, it was all over.

No pictures from them, but there are also some great dunes south of El Datil on the Pacific Coast... and south of the Bay of LA on the Sea of Cortez...
  12. Boottrac

Boottrac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Life is good and you have relaxed when you do the naked indian dance at midnight around the fire!
  13. ice9

ice9 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    dude i cant even look at your pics they piss me off so much. I dont think i could be more jealous. I am sitting here looking at them with my 2 1/2 year old daughter who is trying to lasso our Saint Bernard and my 1 year old walking around with a cork screw and getting surlier by the minute beacsue its past his bed time. Of course my wife has been with them all day and has basically had it with them. She doesnt think your pics are even remotely funny and doesn't "get" that I should be out there riding my ass off and drinking beer and looking positively primal around a campfire, things that guys are supposed to do. By the way Im going to Linens N things and Home Depot tomorrow- should be pretty exciting.
  14. girliegirl

girliegirl n00b

Oddometer:
    So, I really, really, really liked the girlie picture of the suuuunset... and oh my god, I'm going to Linens N Things tomorrow too!!
  15. bpeterson

bpeterson no other way to say it

Oddometer:
    Man, that's the shiznit mang! :thumb :thumb

keep the photos coming, sounds like a great trip.

I too am envious, but alas am NOT going to linens & things tomorrow. Most likely to Bed, Bath & Beyond :):
  16. neduro

Oddometer:
    I'm not up for writing a real trip report yet, but I've got a few minutes so I figured I would write a little bit about what Baja reminds me of after the fact.

- Speed. It takes a while to instinctively look far enough ahead of the bike to account for the highway speeds that predominate. Reaching for a non-existent 6th gear 30 or so times a day. You don't tach out an XR 650R on 14/45 gearing in Colorado very often- in Baja, you sometimes set your speed based on how badly you feel for the motor at that particular moment.
    - Doing 100 miles of sand roads at a whack (we did more than 300 miles some days). It's hard to find that much terrain in Utah or Nevada, let alone day after day of it...
    - Emptying and Filling the 5 gallon desert tank multiple times per day, and always wondering whether it'll be enough (it always was, for us)
    - Misreading the terrain and slamming your front wheel into something immovable at whacking speeds. The nasty slap from the front tire folding around the rim never gets comfortable... (zero flats in over 2500 miles, by the way, thanks to Super HD tubes, Dunlop 606's, and some luck- however my front rim does have some nice flatspots... (-; )
    - Watching your rear tire melt away in a couple of days, wondering why it didn't last better than that, then remembering that you've ridden more miles in the last two days than you'll put on in a month of after work rides...
    - Hitting either a dry lake bed or the beach and practicing 4th and 5th gear wheelies and standup slides at highway speeds... there's nowhere else in the world that I've been where you can play like this...
    - Coming around a corner 50 miles from anywhere to find a child/pickup/cow/dog standing in the road... this may be nowhere to you, but it's somewhere to someone...
    - Mile after mile of whooped out score course to make you feel like Johnny Campbell (but no matter what you might think, he'd go through there much faster than you just did...)
    - Watching the gas level get lower and lower, calculating and recaculating distances and fuel consumption, and staying out of the throttle coming out of the next turn...
    - Having the police and schoolkids motion you to wheelie on your way through town... in America you'd be shot for pulling a horn mono past the schoolyard, here everyone cheers.
    - Seeing yet another unfinished cinder block building with rebar poking out the top, just in case someone decides to build that second floor. Down here, everyone's laid back all the time about everything, take it or leave it.
    - Going into the restaurant with no shoes on, petting the dog sitting by your table hoping for scraps, and eating another great meal consisting of beans, meat, and a tortilla (big tortilla = burrito. small tortilla = taco. fried tortilla = chimichanga or flauta. but the ingredients are all the same, and you get to chose whether to pay $1 for it at a taco stand or $10 at a touristy gringo hangout...)
  17. MarkS

MarkS Bug Magnet

Oddometer:
    Absolutely amazing pictures - that must have been a blast!
  18. neduro

Oddometer:
    A few more:

Golf Baja style
    [​IMG]

Somewhere near Gonzoga...
    [​IMG]

Lots and lots and lots of this... (taken at about 60 mph- thank goodness for Scotts Dampers...)
    [​IMG]
  19. rallybug

rallybug Local Yokel

Oddometer:
    Absolutely agree - File --> Save As --> Set as Desktop :thumb :thumb
  20. RedRyder

RedRyder Jose Adventurista

Oddometer:
    Fantastic pics!!! Makes me want to go sooooo bad. Ah shit it's not even noon and I have to have another cerveza. Thirsty work for sure. One of these years, its gonna happen. Red