Baja CA yes/ no ?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by yair1956, Nov 13, 2019.

1. yair1956

yair1956 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello all,

Our annual Xmas Kickback to Baja is in jeopardy, ( Camping about 20 miles south of San Felipe in RV Park), due to the recent events in Maxico, some of the guys are got intimidated and hesitating.
    Any input that will help make he right decision will be appreciated

Cheers
  2. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just go. You’ll be fine.

But lock up your bikes and I mean but good. Not kidding.
    Snake Oiler and baldman1 like this.
  3. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
  4. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably cross from Mexicali or Tecate, depending on weather and riders Dec 13/14. My annual Feb ride got bumped to December due my son’s wedding and the majority of my group couldn’t readjust. Might have room for 1-2 experienced riders if you don’t have anyone to ride with. Pm me for details
  5. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you seen the murder rates in U.S. cities like Chicago or Detroit? Using your logic it's unsafe to travel in the U.S. So we should just not go outside.
  7. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    That thread has nothing to do with Mexico being safe—or not. You’ll get banned if you even suggest that riders in Mexico are in danger or post recent headlines.

That thread is all about tacos and cool routes and you are to ignore any other activities that occur.
    Glenn247 and Migolito like this.
  8. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Really? Maybe the OP should go to the IMS thread and judge for himself.
    pceire32 and Cal like this.
  9. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I live about 25 miles south of SF. Other than the road construction (they're fixing the road, dammit) which is almost done to Puertecitos it's as mellow as ever. We do have a new burrito stand at k43 open in the mornings, the shrimp is in season, the weather is great.
  10. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    There was A LOT of discussion on Is Mexico Safe about the women and kids who were murdered. So, there's discussion about whether MX is safe...and about tacos and cool routes.
  11. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Mexico has an insurmountable problem with violence, particularly murder. Thats not really new news as it's been going on for several decades. Two thing have changed though. First, social media has made a run around of the regular media and it's no longer possible to hide, or lesson, what's going on in Mexico. Second, the new president of Mexico is taking a different approach to dealing with the gangs and corrupt police/officials who are doing the killing....he's doing nothing. That's what he ran on during the election and that's exactly what he's doing so, no surprises there. He believes that a no confrontation approach will limit the killing to just the rival cartel. We'll see. Now to your question. The cartel killings have been going on for decades...let me restate that FACT again...decades. you've been going down to Mexico during this time frame, right? So, what has changed? Mexico hasn't. The only thing that has changed is OUR ability to deny what is a huge ugly wart on the nose of a beautiful Senorita. I Love Mexico, or should I say the Mexican folks. I will
    Never forget how well the Americans trapped in Mexico were treated on 9-12. That's the true character of a people, not the Cartels.
  12. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    I posted about recent violence and was warned by a mod that next time I’m banned. The mod and I had a discussion and it was agreed that tacos and routes is really what that thread is about and any mention of danger is quickly shouted down.

I’ll be in Baja all next week so I can report first hand knowledge.

But please heed my warnings about bike theft in San Felipe...
    LordMorgan, Glenn247 and Davidprej like this.
  13. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    I would have no concerns for my safety in Baja. Take the normal precautions that you would take anywhere else, and you'll be fine.
  14. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    If you go to Mexico and/or Baja and act like a drug dealer or do what drug dealers do, that would be dangerous. If you go to Baja and act like a tourist, the level of danger is the same as it's always been.
  15. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm also spending next week in Baja. RACE WEEK!!!!!
    I have no concerns about safety.. never felt threatened, and do enjoy tacos and beer.
    I second the suggestion to lock your bike up after dark, no matter how secure you think the bike is. Cable and padlock work well, as well as a bike cover (if you have one). Go into a business, lock the steering. Chit does happen and bikes go missing.
    Like anywhere you travel (USA included), situational awareness is your friend. That includes taco stands and cerveza outlets!!
    knight and SPX like this.
  16. b4thenite

b4thenite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just go.
    knight likes this.
  17. Alberto_H

Alberto_H Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've read about riders traveling across many "dangerous"countries like Mozambique or Pakistan with no issues. However, depending on where you are going, you will need to adjust some things, specially plan more and do not leave anything to luck. Do not improvise and always try to identify the good people and ask for some advice about the safety in the area. If there is a "danger zone" that you should avoid, nobody will know better than local people. I would be more concerned about robbery or minor local crime than the Cartel's war.
    LordMorgan likes this.
  18. TrashBird

TrashBird Rippin' Pigeon

Oddometer:
    Jumping in on this thread. Planning to go for the week during xmas. First time in Baja and will be solo, prefer wilderness camping. Maybe a silly question. But I know people camp on beaches. Which sounds great. When it comes to private property I imagine same rules as US, if no gate. You are probably good. What are peoples experiences with stealth and or wilderness camping in Baja? And of course like anywhere if no one knows you are there you're safest.
  19. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:
    The pay sites/beaches are cheap ,have toilets and and a lot of them have meals and cold beer for sale

No matter how remote I find myself in this world , it is usually not too long before a local will make a apperance
    LordMorgan and TrashBird like this.
  20. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Camping on really remote beaches in Baja is one of the best things about Baja. Somewhat remote beaches start south of El Rosario on the Pacific side and south of Gonzaga Bay or so on the Sea of Cortez side. North of those locations, you're probably looking at a campground on a beach which can still be pretty darn good. A shower and cold beer makes the camping in a campground much more tolerable
    LordMorgan, pceire32, jimmex and 2 others like this.