Baja February 2020. Looking for someone who may want to travel together.

Discussion in 'Americas' started by BK.RD.RNR, Nov 8, 2019.

1. BK.RD.RNR

BK.RD.RNR Torque Stick

Oddometer:
    I've been trying to put a plan together for Riding Baja in Feb. 2020, and I am hoping to find one or more people to ride with.

A couple of friends have an interest, but are not really able to commit at this point, and I'll need to nail down some dates and schedule vacation time to make this happen. I have been to Southern Baja a half dozen times or more, and have done a few 1-2 day Dirt Bike rides while down there, I'm just not sure that I am comfortable with the idea of doing the whole peninsula on a bike solo.

My plan so far has been to follow GPS Kevin's Adventure Bike Route tracks. I'll be riding my 950 Super Enduro.

My bike is currently in storage in Phoenix. I spent last spring - summer getting the bike sorted, shipped, and just did a trip around the Southwest for about 2000 miles with it in September. Thanks to the guidance of some very knowledgeable friends and my own OCD in the garage, the only mechanical issue I had was a Jetting problem going over Imogene pass.

So far loosely, (and completely in flux at this point), my plan is to grab the bike from storage in Phoenix, probably head to my brother's place in the LA area, spend a day doing an oil change, put on some fresh tires, and head south the next morning hopefully.

Please comment, or PM if you'd be interested in something like this. I was thinking the middle 2 weeks of February.

Picture for attention;

20190912_163447.jpg
  2. Thunder Tuna

Thunder Tuna Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A buddy and I may be heading into Baja in mid Jan or Feb for a month or so. We are thinking of either our ADV bikes, or bringing our full set up of Toy haulers, trucks, adv and dirt bikes. Our goal is to drive or ride to a bunch of places down to our turnaround point of Bahia Concepcion. Plans are a bit in flux right now, but following, as could be interested in meeting up w/ some other riders.
    BK.RD.RNR likes this.
  3. selecw

selecw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m interested. I had planned to go in Jan or Feb. It would be my first time there. Message me.
    Darren the Barbarian likes this.
  4. Klinc207

Klinc207 To PERU!

Oddometer:
    Looking at a rental from Los Angeles down into Baja for a week around the 15th-22nd or so. Still in the works but may happen. Will keep you posted.
  5. rainmaker8

rainmaker8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm following in case my plans for a dual-sport small bike ride around that same time don't happen... my 990 Adv awaits coming from Nor Cal.
    BK.RD.RNR likes this.
  6. Darren the Barbarian

Darren the Barbarian n00b

Oddometer:
    going
  7. Darren the Barbarian

Oddometer:
    I’m in quartzsite az for the winter. 08 gs800. Never ridden to Mexico but I have traveled there many times. Fit 59 year old. Ridden to prudhoe and back. References available. I’m tough and dependable. Let’s talk.
    BK.RD.RNR likes this.
  8. Hohmie

Hohmie Long timer

Oddometer:
    We will be in the area from the middle of Feburary until mid March on 500s, I think maybe 8 of us if everybody shows, we plan on staging out of San Feilipe and riding south to Loreto and then cross to the Pacific side and then north back up to Cativina then SF again.
    Going to hit some washes, single track and some missions taking some rest days in between.
    If you see us come by and say Hi and visa versa.
    Most of us have Inreach units so if you want to trade contact info with us in case of break downs etc we/I would be up for that. Our vehicles will be in SF.
    Look for the Roam away from Home 2020 stickers when you're out there.
    rainmaker8 and BK.RD.RNR like this.
  9. webbmx

webbmx n00b

Oddometer:
    I am looking at a late January early February start. Plan to base off of GPSkevin route as well. This will be my first trip in Baja and will be on a 690. Going to Cabo where GF will fly in and spend a couple of weeks together. She will fly out of LaPaz and I will head back up. Would definitelt feel better having some connections.
  10. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    I want to do this so bad, but Alaska has drained all of my vacation time... I couldn't commit more than a long weekend to this starting in SoCal... I'll just hang out in the corner and live vicariously through you all.
    BK.RD.RNR likes this.
  11. BK.RD.RNR

BK.RD.RNR Torque Stick

Oddometer:
    My wife and I have been kicking around the possibility of meeting up for a long weekend at the southern end of the trip also (meeting around the 13/14-16 of Feb). It has been kind of depending on how the ride planning goes on my end with whomever else might commit. We usually like to go to Todos Santos, only about an hour from CSL. Easy enough to split and regroup...
    webbmx likes this.
  12. AndyT

AndyT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm going to follow this thread, as I am planning to ride my XR650L from SW New Mexico to Baja for a couple weeks in February. I plan to do some whale watching and maybe sea kayaking, so my trip may not be compatible with yours.
  13. rainmaker8

rainmaker8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like how this is stirring up a few possibilities! Great start, so far.
    Even if a formal “group” doesn’t form at least there will be potential for a few good meeting points along the way, and help if needed. It doesn’t seem so daunting with all these connections to break it up into smaller pieces, even if some legs are solo.

Personally I can vouch for the OP @BK.RD.RNR. He is a friendly person with a great attitude and good rider. He has organized plenty of rides in our area and helped me gain confidence with bigger bikes and GPS navigation. If you tag on to this ride, as I hope to, it will be fun for sure.

I’m still resolving whether I can make it from east coast all the way there at all, and which bike (my trusty old 990 or potentially a 500), and therefore which group...

I also have Inreach sat comm, speak Español, and would gladly exchange contact info with any and all planning to be in Baja at that time.

Vamanos!
  14. fijiman

fijiman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am also planning a Baja trip around mid Jan...I am from Portland, OR and trying to decide to take the WR250R or my FJ-09....will be great to meetup and be parto f this journey, share campsites, info, hotel, etc
    Hohmie and Darren the Barbarian like this.
  15. By Crout Bill

By Crout Bill n00b

Oddometer:
    I just posted also on the Baja January 2020 thread. I live in NorCal and ride a VStrom 650. Would like to leave mid-January and am looking at a 3-4 week trip. Would like a riding buddy at least as far as San Ignacio. Don't really want to ride in a larger group, but a couple/three others would be good company. I have no m/c experience in Latin America, but have budget traveled quite a bit in Guatemala and Peru. 71 years old. Camping and cheap hotels sound good.
    Hohmie and Darren the Barbarian like this.
  16. Darren the Barbarian

Oddometer:
    I’m still interested in a trip this winter. Two weeks or so. GS 800.
    Contact me if it sounds like a possibility. DTB
  17. BK.RD.RNR

BK.RD.RNR Torque Stick

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any advice about crossing the border?

Are weekends usually noticably busier than weekdays?

Right now I'm thinking about crossing at San Diego on Saturday or Sunday Feb 8th-9th.
  18. CC Ryder

CC Ryder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am another interested rider. 44 yrs old. Salt Lake City is home. Pretty flexible schedule as I don't work much in the winter. I spend most of my winter in the AZ Deseret outside Wickenburg riding single track and Adv bikes. 300XCW, 950 SE, 990 ADV, brand new 2 days old, still zero miles, 790R. I've been down the peninsula once as far as Bay of Conception.. Then up the Pacific side. Did 11 nights with 2 buddies, camped in remote areas every night. Had no problems. Great people who love what we are doing. I'd prefer to do more difficult dirt routes.. which means wrestling big bikes in sand. Also contemplating taking my newer truck and vintage Airstream down.. with big and little bikes. Probably wouldn't roll solo with that rig.

There is a good thing going in this thread.. lots of interested riders with varying dates, bikes, and ideas of what their ideal trip would be. If everyone at a minimum posts their dates when there firm.. It will be helpful for others.
    Hohmie likes this.
  19. By Crout Bill

By Crout Bill n00b

Oddometer:
    Replying to "Torque Stick": If you don't mind considering advice from someone who hasn't done it yet on a bike, here's what I've read in my preparation: The main crossing south of San Diego at San Ysidro is one of the world's busiest border crossings, 50 million plus per year. Yeah, weekends are way the worst of course. And it puts you right into the chaos of urban TJ. Much faster is the Otay Mesa portal a little to the east, with easier access to the highway down to Ensenada. Even easier is the lightly used crossing at Tecate, which is what I plan to do.
    BUT, going south ain't the problem; it's the coming back north into the U.S. That's where the long lines and the close inspections will occur. Avoid the San Ysidro crossing, especially on weekends, if possible. There's another nice feature about Tecate: the brewery there to give you a last, mellow sip of pure Baja before running the gauntlet of CBP and INS.
    BK.RD.RNR likes this.
  20. rnrdozer

rnrdozer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    it looks like we may be down there at the same time, we have a group of about 10 riding KTM 500s
    As well. We will have a chase truck with spare parts, extra wheels etc... we will probably work our way to Loreto.
    Hohmie likes this.