Baja February 2020. Looking for someone who may want to travel together.

Discussion in 'Americas' started by BK.RD.RNR, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Poison Canyon

Poison Canyon n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. webbmx

webbmx n00b

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have recommendations on a secure place to store a van and trailer near the Tecate crossing? It will be for about 4-6 week duration.
  3. rnrdozer

rnrdozer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We always park at Diamond Jacks campground in Jamul. Terry the owner makes you feel at home and is very reasonable priced.
    Steve G. and Westerly_Wind like this.
  4. webbmx

webbmx n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks mrdozer I will check it out
    rnrdozer likes this.
  5. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was

Oddometer:
    Following the thread. I winter in Mulege mucho anos & know the larger area pretty well.

Would be fun crossing paths for loops outback, bad advice, good times. XR600 that knows the way back to the casa.
    rnrdozer, 97707, AZ TOM and 1 other person like this.
  6. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    following, would like to do something this winter, big bikes.
    BK.RD.RNR likes this.
  7. webbmx

webbmx n00b

Oddometer:
    I have firmed up the dates that I will be in Baja. I thought that I would throw them out so we can make some connections to have a network of peeps who will be traveling in case we can help each other out.

I plan store my van and trailer and cross the border @ Tecate on January 31st and head south using Gpskevin's route as a basic guide. I have to be in Cabo on the February 7th to pick my girlfriend up at the airport. She and I will have a couple of weeks together. She will fly out of LaPaz on February 22nd. I will start back toward the border with no particular time line at that point.

Again, I will be on a 690 and will have inReach and cell where service allows. I plan to wild camp and/or stay in campgrounds or hotels as the mood and situation dictates.

That's all I got for now.
    BK.RD.RNR and Hohmie like this.
  8. Tuff Tunica

Tuff Tunica Moto-Skiveez creator

Oddometer:
    A group of six of us will be starting from San Felipe on Feb 14th. Heading to Bay of LA, then San Ignacio - two days for some whale watching, over to Mulege - two days to visit with Kurt Forget/Black Dog, then back up north. One night Catavina then two nights in Valle de Guadelupe for some winery tours. Back across border in Tecate on Saturday, Feb 22.

Three riders are noob's on Honda CB500X, one is a couple two up. So we are doing all very easy riding mostly paved. Most hotels and Air BNB are already booked, but happy to have anyone that wants to tag along join us.
    jphaxx, webbmx and BK.RD.RNR like this.
  9. Hohmie

Hohmie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been thinking of our schedule the last couple days since @webbmx posted and tentatively our plan is to leave SanFelipe on the 17th of Feb., we then will work our way to Loreto probably by or around the 22nd? We may have a friend flying in to Loreto at that time, if so we will spend two or three days with him (if he makes it).
    After that we will hit a couple mission sites on the way to the Pacific side and start heading north to Cativina spending nights where it works out best.
    I/we have more specific plans if this group (ADV) is interested, For the most part we are just trying to go with the flow of Baja. Our main dates are when we leave, the 17th and our return to SF on March 3rd.
    I'll get my Inreach info out beggining of Feb. for those that are interested.

Some of us have another week to enjoy in SF but a couple riders need to leave on the 4th so we could send a separate group back at that point to if the schedules lined up.
    ^ Kind of an afterthought but......
    webbmx likes this.
  10. Hohmie

Hohmie Long timer

Oddometer:
    @Tuff Tunica, it's very possible that we could cross paths in the SI/ Mulege area as well, we will keep an I out.
    webbmx likes this.
  11. Tuff Tunica

Tuff Tunica Moto-Skiveez creator

Oddometer:
    Please do. I'm on a R1200 GS Adv, three others on 2019 Honda CB500X and one couple two up on a Ymamha Tenere. We will be in SI Feb 15-16th. (Be aware many hotels are already full in SI due to the pupularity of whale watching.) Heading over to Concepcion Bay, 17-18. Back up and have reservations in Catavina, Feb 19th. Then two nights in Valle de Guadelupe.
  12. elpjc

elpjc n00b

Oddometer:
    A cousin from Miami and myself (from El Paso) are also planning a trip to Cabo precisely in late Jan/early Feb, but nothing set in stone yet. Both of us almost 58, 5'10", slim, and fit, and going alone (no wives). We're leaning on renting the bikes from MotoQuest in LA, but if my cousin is up to it, we'd trailer our own (street) bikes there, for more flexibility (2018 V-Strom 1000 and MT-10). First time for both of us doing this, but we were raised in Mexico, so have traveled to many other places there (Copper Canyon, Creel, San Miguel de Allende, etc), and speak spanish perfectly. Anyway, if MQ is out of bikes, we might be forced to trailer, which brings me to the question of what's needed to temporarily import our bikes into Mexico? Haven't done it in a while. We'd probably leave the car and trailer in Tecate, at the recommended place (Diamond Jacks). It'd be nice to do the import permit in advance (via internet), if possible.

Have a stupid question, and a request. What's the deal with 'inreach'? Do you need to subscribe to a service in advance, or just buying the device is all you need? Need details, please. And where can I get the 'GPS Kevin route', in case we rent bikes, and can go off-road? For street only, I guess there's no way to get lost, right? Or do we need a route for that as well? Thx.
  13. webbmx

webbmx n00b

Oddometer:

@elpjc , I will be passing through your area on the way out. I will be trailering from Asheville, NC and plan to try to catch a day of mountain biking in the Franklin Mountains on the way through. It will probably be on or around January 27. Any tips and/or info on the area would be greatly appreciated.

The Garmin InReach does require a subscription. There are several options and can be done on a month to month basis at a bit higher cost if you choose. Details on their website.

GPSkevin information can be found here;
  14. elpjc

elpjc n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Webbmx, thank you for the GPSKevin link; will check it out later. If I lived in Asheville, I wouldn't want to go anywhere else. Ha ha. I was in that area for a week last July, riding the dragon, the parkway, skyway, and all those wonderful roads staying in Maggie Valley. Going back next year (hopefully) to Asheville this time, and to ride the devil's triangle, and the new section of the parkway, which was too far from Maggie Valley.

On the El Paso area, I don't do dirt riding (my cousin is trying to get me into that), so can't help you there. But there're a ton of folks doing that, so if you start a new thread, you should get hits right away. The majority of folks ride GSs and KTMs. I've heard of a flat crater near El Paso that's only accessible with off-road vehicles, which I didn't even know it existed until recently. It might be an interesting ride. The mountain parks are state parks, so if you have a national park pass (like I do), it's not valid. That's pretty much all I can help you with. Sorry, brother.

Finally, I just found out yesterday my cancer is back for the 4th time (in less than 5 years), so need to start a nasty, last-resort treatment asap. Just made an appt for Jan 13 (the earliest), and should be starting by the time you swing by here. So no Baja for me this year :(. Oh well. Hopefully next. I'll enjoy it vicariously :). Let me know if there's anything specific you want me to find out for you here, and would do it gladly. Take care.
  15. By Crout Bill

By Crout Bill n00b

Oddometer:
    Damn!! That's nasty news, elpjc. Hope you can hang on to your grips and ride it out. We'll all be pulling for you. And Baja will still be there for you next year!
  16. Cascades Rider

Cascades Rider n00b

Oddometer:
    We have parked at Barrett Junction (1020 Barrett Lake Rd, Dulzura, CA 91917) just north of the border. Call ahead to confirm, very reasonable truck parking, and delicious BBQ as a prize for making it back across the border.
    97707 and webbmx like this.
  17. Meritlane

Meritlane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A buddy and I are heading down in the january 2nd. We are on GS's. My first time to Baja, his first time doing it on a bike.
  18. Shinny9000

Shinny9000 n00b

Oddometer:
    Following. I'm planning a solo ride starting mid/late Feb. My start date, though, is contingent on my work schedule so I'm not able to commit to riding with anyone, but it would be nice to know where others are and hopefully cross paths at least.
  19. webbmx

webbmx n00b

Oddometer:
    elpjc, thanks for the information. So sorry to hear about the cancer. Best of luck with the treatment.
  20. BK.RD.RNR

BK.RD.RNR Torque Stick

Oddometer:
    Just a planning update.

2 of us have now commited, big bike adventure route. Using GpsKevin's tracks.

The plan is to cross the border at or near San Diego coming and going.

Plan to cross southbound on Feb 6th, and back northbound by Feb 17th.
    webbmx likes this.