Baja February 2020. Looking for someone who may want to travel together.

Discussion in 'Americas' started by BK.RD.RNR, Nov 8, 2019.

1. UnCivilEngineer

UnCivilEngineer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone,

I was planning on a mid Feb crossing as it seems like a good time to meet others on the trails. Thinking about trucking to San Felipe (Kiki's?) for a staging point, only concern is can I keep truck/stuff there when riding south?

I have a KTM 500, looking to ride mostly dirt. Planning to camp and hotel it up. Riding solo, but dont really want to ride alone.
    rnrdozer and Enduro_Sibiu like this.
  2. Meritlane

Meritlane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We were just down there. Kiki can probably make arrangements for you. One of the guys we met who spend months down there stores vehicles at one of Kiki's employees place. give him a call. People say he's the can do guy.
  3. Hohmie

Hohmie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, I just pm'd a few people my contact info, if I missed someone please message me, our plan is still pretty much what I posted earlier.
    Hope to run into other groups/people while we are there.

Have a great ride!
    rnrdozer likes this.
  4. Hohmie

Hohmie Long timer

Oddometer:
    705F0DF2-E47C-45FA-A436-F2DD4EA25225.jpeg
    HellsAlien likes this.
  5. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was

Oddometer:
    Ha ha! That tire won't look like that after a run down/back Baja!

Final pic with it over the arm of an old Cardon cactus somewhere (but don't leave it there!)
  6. rnrdozer

rnrdozer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We will be crossing the border at Tecate on March 5th, working our way to Loreto. We will have a Chase truck with a trailer with extra room if anyone needs help. We will have extra parts for ktm 500 exc bikes if anyone is in a bind. If anyone wants to ride with us you are welcome to join us. attached is our route in GPS format.

Attached Files:

dirty adventurer and webbmx like this.
  7. cwadej

cwadej Keeper of the truth

Oddometer:

I know someone mentioned crossing at Tecate, since San Ysidro is so busy. There is a closer option. Otay Mesa is just 20 from San Ysidro instead of over an hour. Of course the route to Tecate is nice along 94. I live 5 minutes from San Ysidro, let me know if you need anything
    BK.RD.RNR likes this.
  8. Md11 flyer

Md11 flyer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the response. I looking to start my trip on the day you are ending. Damn it!
  9. rnrdozer

Oddometer:
    We plan to stay one night in Mulegé, do you have any recommendations for a good hotel with parking for a truck and trailer and a few bikes? Also I posted our route and have tracks coming into Mulegé from the north and headed out south. Do you happen to know the conditions of those roads? Thanks in advance. Hope to meet up for a beer when we hit Mulegé. I hear there’s a good local brewery there now
  10. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Can anyone chime in on Kevin’s big bike BLUE tracks. Are they mostly paved? Thanks guys.
  11. BK.RD.RNR

BK.RD.RNR Torque Stick

Oddometer:
    According to the site and the booklet that was sent with the packet, it seems a fair amount of the Blue tracks are pavement, and the rest seems seems to be described as "good dirt" (roads from the sounds of it).

From Kevin's site;

The Blue section in the morning to Donut 12 is the Compadre Trail. It is dirt roads with some sandy spots, then paved to Ensenada

At donut 20 there is a short 15 mile Blue route option. This is a dirt road following parallel to the highway. Then at Donut 21 there is a Red route option. It is a tougher dirt road through the mountains and along the Pacific Coast.

The Green route is the scenic main highway along the coast passing along the Gulf of California. The Blue route starts as paved road to about Donut 30, then it turns to dirt and follows along the coast to San Juanico. Great, spectacular views and not too tough.

Etc. It is pretty well laid out on the link that I pm'ed you.
  12. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was

Oddometer:
    Day 7A route: I can't say if that is passable once you get out east of El Patrocino into the box canyon above El Datil. It would be the mileage on the way to rancho San Marcos. I have not been through there for years due to flood damage. Do you know how old that track is/where you got it and anyone who has done it in recent times? Have talked with only one rider who came through several years ago, they had a long day/tough time (15 hrs). The descent into mission Guadelupe from the high pass is a section I hope to scout soon, but there is nobody here strong enough to ride wingman with me. The local rancho guys I cross paths with use burros to go over the top.

A totally doable alt would be south from El Patrocino to the junction at La Ballena, then east to Mulege.

Day 8A: doable, two climbs, first one just rough/loose. The second one, the road bed has been destroyed on the south/weather side of the pass for a couple miles above the junction that goes down to rancho Guadelupe. Large loose sharp rocks. Below that should be fine. Gas at a casa west end of La Purisima.

Day6: tough ride! Once out to Santa Marta easy peasy. 45 miles from there into San Ig. We were in there last week and hiked up to San Fran de la Sierra, really rough tough climb!

The 6,7A,8A is three of the toughest days back to back you could possibly string together, all riders will have to be on their A-game and ride to protect equipment and rider from damage over the 3 days. None of this is big bike friendly. I might try to tag along on 7A should you decide to do that, and likely 8A if you do that.

Hotel: Hotel Mulege just past the arch on the left. They have an overhead, so if height is a problema, need to check that. Hacienda in town is good for bikes, parking in back, could be tight for trailer. Mulege isn't real trailer-friendly!
  13. rnrdozer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your help hell’s! I did talk to Moto Vaquero about 7A a couple years ago. He had made it through but said it was tough. I will probably only take a few guys that are more experienced through there. I have a built in extra day that can be used up on that route. I’ve ridden day 6 before. We might just slab it to San Ignacio if the group isn’t feeling it. It would be great if you joined us on that section.
    HellsAlien likes this.
  14. princess jamaica

princess jamaica OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer:
    Yo
    You could also come out to the beach,as there are three places with rooms and safe parking.PM me if you want the details.
    rnrdozer likes this.
  15. rnrdozer

Oddometer:
    This is our ride schedule with actual dates. March 12th is pretty much an open day just in case we have problems but hoping we can explore the area around Conception bay. Planning on a camping day then. 97835AF1-CA1E-47F9-8FFF-1E9464BB9661.jpeg
    Meritlane and HellsAlien like this.
  16. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Anyone chime in on Kevin’s big bike blue routes. They miatky
    Me thinks too organized for a MX trip. YMMV
    knight likes this.
  17. rnrdozer

Oddometer:
    Me thinks too organized for a MX trip. YMMV[/QUOTE]

This Forum is a great place to share resources and information, thanks for your contribution GR8ADV.
  18. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    [/QUOTE]This Forum is a great place to share resources and information, thanks for your contribution GR8ADV.[/QUOTE]

It was meant to be constructive and informative. Sorry if it doesn’t agree with your perspective; just my opinion.

Some folks, in particular those new to Mx, find the travel daunting and an unknown quantity. (But not so much Baja which is barely MX, but we will leave that for another time ). And to them I say, pick a few places that sound cool. Load up on several tracks, get a Baja Almanac and go have fun. Don’t get hung up on having to nail down every day. I personally do not plan MX trips as I do in the rest of, the very predictable, North America.

YMMV and it does. And that’s cool too. Ride on.
  19. rnrdozer

Oddometer:
    This Forum is a great place to share resources and information, thanks for your contribution GR8ADV.[/QUOTE]

It was meant to be constructive and informative. Sorry if it doesn’t agree with your perspective; just my opinion.

Some folks, in particular those new to Mx, find the travel daunting and an unknown quantity. (But not so much Baja which is barely MX, but we will leave that for another time ). And to them I say, pick a few places that sound cool. Load up on several tracks, get a Baja Almanac and go have fun. Don’t get hung up on having to nail down every day. I personally do not plan MX trips as I do in the rest of, the very predictable, North America.

YMMV and it does. And that’s cool too. Ride on.[/QUOTE]
    I've been taking a group of friends to Baja for a long time, some trips can be spontaneous. But with a group of 9-10 riders and two Chase truck guys there has to be a level of planning that is fairly detailed. Guys flying into San Diego and flying home from Loreto. Guys need to schedule time off work months in advance. Trying to fit in new trails each year. A lot of the fun is planning but still knowing it can all change with a mechanical problem or a crash or even a change in plans. Every year we have a new obstacle to deal with. If I was headed down with just me or a couple guys I would probably have a start and end date and fill in the middle.
    Rips Millar and GR8ADV like this.
  20. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:

YMMV and it does. And that’s cool too. Ride on.[/QUOTE]
    ... with a group of 9-10 riders and two Chase trucks... .[/QUOTE]

I literally can't imagine. You are a better man than I. lol Good Luck!
    knight likes this.