Baja February 2020. Looking for someone who may want to travel together.

Discussion in 'Americas' started by BK.RD.RNR, Nov 8, 2019.

1. dirty adventurer

dirty adventurer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good thread. Lots of great information.

Baja has been calling me back for more.

gotta scratch that itch!
  2. Md11 flyer

Md11 flyer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm putting together a trip leaving Colorado Springs on Feb. 26 to El Paso for the crossing then to the Copper Canyon then on to Los Moches for the Ferry to La Paz and up the Baja to Mexicali then home. I'll be on a GSA solo at this point. Planning 15 or 16 days.

1. If anyone is interested in all or part of this ride let me know
    2. Any intel or places to go or intel on interior Mexico riding point me in that direction. I know about the Is Mexico Safe thread and am picking my way through it but at over 2500 pages it is a little diluted for specific questions.
    3. Any advice, warnings, planning must-do/gotchas that you are willing to impart on me will be greatly appreciated especially with relation to the El Paso to Los Moches portion with regard to hotel availability, fuel, and of course the safety of a solo gringo and sanity of said gringo planning this trip as a first into Mexico!

Thanks All.

Russ

feel free to PM me as well
  3. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Md11 , considering that riders report what may be considered a snowy winter in the CC that may still be possible even during dates of your trip . it will freeze at night in Creel , personally I and the KLR have been snowed on , lightly, snowed on at Villa Ahumada overnight on Mex 45 on Spring Day .Always the risk there so keep your attention on the weather forecast for the area and be ready to quickly head down to lower ground if a cold wet front is headed your direction. The “quicker “way is east down toward lower desert. And of course stick to pavement and hard pack gravel .
    The 15 day opening can fit the trip if you keep pushing , more days will always be a benefit .The ferry day will mean few road miles
    For the ferry departure from TOPOLOBAMPO consider Hotel Marina in TOPO as an overnight if ferry leaves at an early hour: that saves a hectic ride from Los Mochis .

if arrival in Pichilingue is after dark no sweat, just calmly follow the main road along coast 18 km to La Paz and you wind up on the Malecon , you can see the city lights, and lots of hotels .DO NOT follow the new Circonvalente from
    the port , it is a long pointless 50 km truck route around La Paz through desert and poor industrial parks .
    Lots of other hotels in Baja and in mainland towns
    GR8ADV likes this.
  4. 97707

97707 Vulture capitalist

Oddometer:

I was wondering if there is gas at La Purisima. Or if the supply is reliable at San Juanico. Is that one at La Purisima signed . . . or just ask around for the barrel guy?

And wondering if there's gas at San Jose/ Miguel Comondu coming across from Loreto to the west side.

And if there's gas at Santa Rosaliita, before heading up the beach route to Catavina.

Anybody know those answers?

5. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was

Oddometer:
    Last time I was in La Purisima there was gas at a casa, west end of town, south side of road. Shed roof garage, maybe a small gasolina sign.

San J, go west through town on main drag onto dirt, gas on the right.

I bought gas from a casa in lower Comondu, almost all the way through town westbound, is up on the bank on your right.

Haven't bought gas at Santa Rosalillita for years, but I hear gas can be found, ask at the tienda there, or on the beach with the pangaderos. And I see gas signs in Rosarito.
    MrO66 and jimmex like this.
  6. 97707

97707 Vulture capitalist

Oddometer:

Good info there. Thanks.

7. geezyrider

geezyrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all. HeadinG to baja mid March. Crossing at Tecate. Where In Tecate can I get a tourist card? Thanks
  8. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was

Oddometer:
    First right through border. Park on the right. Oficina is right there, then go to banjercito, pay about 500P, then back to oficina for entry stamp.
  9. geezyrider

geezyrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tnx for the info.
  10. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    A pic and some gibberish I previously posted (you would be driving in from the top where the truck is):
    So drive from #1 to the parking spot in Mexico (#2) without stopping unless they want to inspect you. As you go past the metal gate where you are now entering the streets of Mexico, immediately to the right is where I park on the sidewalk behind the gate/wall (#2), but anywhere on the street seems ok. Instead of walking back through the metal gate where you might get yelled at, follow the yellow crosswalk to the pedestrian entrance (where tree is in pic) with the turnstyle thing. This will take you by #5, but ignore all that and cross over to the aduana office (#3). Here you will fill out the paper work for the FMM, they will then send you to the banjercito to pay (#4). They will send you back into #3 to get the FMM in the office (#3). Once complete, you then exit via the pedestrian walkway near #3 which has an x-ray booth for any bags you carried in and a turnstyle, dropping you back into Mexico and hopefully finding your bike still at your parking spot at #2:rofl

[​IMG]
    Meritlane and UnCivilEngineer like this.
  11. UnCivilEngineer

UnCivilEngineer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that crossing info! That’s awesome. Still don’t have a exact location where I will be parking my truck before crossing. Anyone have any up to date suggestion as where to park long term in Tecate?
  12. rnrdozer

rnrdozer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We park at Diamond Jacks RV park in Jamul. Its close to Tecate and a safe cheap place to park. We will be staying there the night of March 4th this year crossing Tecate on the 5th
  13. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    there are several fenced lots right there at the border. Cheap as well. I left my RV there for 2 weeks with no problem
  14. hansi

hansi Teurer Abenteurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you planning on going? Caitlin and I are thinking about leaving for Baja the 3rd week of March.
  15. UnCivilEngineer

UnCivilEngineer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Damn it. Looks like it’s raining all day around here. Was planning on riding to San Felipe tomorrow and passing by Cañon de Guadalupe hot springs. Kinda wondering if that route will be ok...
  16. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    12D0EB7A-EFB9-4F1E-943E-F202C4D7C1D8.png Chill with a Tecate and all will be well.
  17. 97707

97707 Vulture capitalist

Oddometer:
    Just seeing this, and its a couple weeks old. We were down there between 2/15 and 3/8 or so.

Weather treated us pretty good, except for some windy days. Learned a lot.

Snow here today and I wish I was still on the beach.

Have a good one!

hansi likes this.
  18. 97707

97707 Vulture capitalist

Oddometer:
    Just a heads up for folks traveling to Mexico and thinking about paying for the FMM permit online before you get there.

Four in our group had pre paid for theirs. When they took the forms in to the office at the border to get stamped, they were told the payments had expired. Ten days, that was the limit. You paid online more than ten days ago, so now you have to pay again.

Four times $35. Seemed a rip, since nowhere on the site where you pay is is clear that is gonna be the deal.

Looks like pre paying online is over-rated. It took minutes for the guys filling in the form at the office, and no jerking around about expired payments.