Baja-Got a route?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Meritlane, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Meritlane

Meritlane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2 of us are planning to do a loop from LA to Baja. 5 to 7 days. Plan for 5, allow for 7. figure enough folks have done it that we don't need to reinvent a good tried and true route, We are both riding GS's, good on dirt but probably avoid technical tracks.

Only up your tracks.
    thanks
    alexwysh likes this.
  2. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    Consider heading along the eastern side, through San Felipe, then continuing south on Hwy 5, which is a mix of pavement and under repair (after hurricane two years ago) dirt, eventually connecting to Hwy 1. This takes you through some lovely “road less travelled” territory. I think repairs on Hwy 5 were still in early stages when we passed through last February, but I’ve read reports that indicate significant progress has been made. But you will still find significant stretches of dirt, for sure.

A bit further north from the Hwy 5/Hwy 1 junction, a stop at San Ignacio Springs is highly recommended.
  3. Meritlane

Oddometer:
    This is a helpful start.
  4. Meritlane

Oddometer:
    is there another San ignacio springs other than what comes up on google maps? the one I see (nice) is nowhere near the junction of Hwy's 1 and 5.
  5. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    5 day. Depends on how long you like your days. Any camping or hotels only? Without that info, here's an easy almost all paved route.

Day 1 - LA to Ensenada. Lots of hotels and tourist amenities. All paved
    Day 2/3 - Ensenada to Bahia de Los Angeles. All paved. The ride/view down to BOLA is worth it all by itself. Maybe stay an extra day and do a day trip either to San Borja mission or maybe south to (and back) from San Francisquito. Day 3 has lots of dirt
    Day 4 - BOLA to San Felipe. Visit Coco and maybe lunch at Alfonsinas. Mostly paved
    Day 5 - San Felipe to Tecate. Take Hwy 3 west from Hwy 5. Turn north and ride easy (in good weather) dirt past Laguna Hanson to Hwy 2 and take that back to Tecate.
    ScottMalv and Oetse like this.
  6. JimsBeemer

Oddometer:
    Nice route. But in the above, did you mean to say “day 4 has lots of dirt”, not “day 3 has ..” ? Day4 to San Felipe certainly has a fair amount of dirt.
  7. alexwysh

alexwysh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just rode down the 5 to Bay of LA (in BOLA now) 5 is...unfortunately almost completely paved now. Maybe 20km of easy dirt total, and that's only because I turned off to buy beer from Coco.

It's a whole different ride than my last trip down in March. The highway crews have been way too busy.

Also, theres fuel in Gonzaga as of yesterday, and three barrel gas trucks where you turn off the 1 to go to BOLA (where there is also gas).

Lesson learned, there are no ATMs (at least that I can find) here. Bring extra pesos.
    Oetse and Meritlane like this.
  8. jonz

Oddometer:
    Very little dirt. According to one of my buddies who was down there last week, he guesstimated only about 5 miles through the new construction. He saw Harley touring bikes riding there
    Meritlane likes this.
  9. JimsBeemer

Oddometer:
    Wow, that is a big change from about 10 or 11 months ago! But it was clearly being worked on heavily. Was pretty bad then - construction dirt is often worse than a “dirt road”. Was the case last Feb for sure.
  10. ScottMalv

ScottMalv Stay Thirsty!

Oddometer:
    @jonz

What are the roads like to San Francisquito and San Borja?

Also, can you recommend a bike friendly hotel in Encenada?

Thanks
  11. jonz

Oddometer:
    Both worth riding and suitable for large adventure bikes for riders who can ride sand. San Borja is my favorite mission in Baja. And San Francisquito is one of my favorite places in Baja (opinions vary of course). The more northerly entrance to SF that goes by the airstrip is not as sandy as the southern road in.

I haven't stayed there in years.
    ScottMalv likes this.
  12. ScottMalv

ScottMalv Stay Thirsty!

Oddometer:
    yeah, sand was what i'm worried about, but i'll give it a try on my unloaded airhead gs. would really like to see the Mission Borja
  13. F.P.

F.P. Clown who is sick

Oddometer:
    I stayed at the Posada El Rey Sol when I passed through a few years back. Decent enough and the parking is in a courtyard. It so happened that a bunch of Fedarales were staying there too. Not sure if that was good or bad. Stayed there on my trip South and again North on my solo trip to Cabo from NorCal.
  14. ScottMalv

ScottMalv Stay Thirsty!

Oddometer:
    ok, thanks, i'll look it up. Federales have never scared me.