Baja Highway 5 Puertecitos and beyond pavement updates...

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by clarkkent14, Dec 7, 2010.

1. gaahrdner

gaahrdner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode through a few weeks ago. Paved all the way to Gonzaga Bay, though there was a diversion of some dirt and sand right before you actually got there, not sure why.

Made a video if conditions, probably still accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlIeuaiHXcQ
  2. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Need to finish up that bridge IIRC.
  3. StmbtDave

StmbtDave AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer:
    Rode thru Gonzaga going south on Tues, 2/25/14. The bridge is completed and although the pavement is done beyond, you are routed onto the dirt immediately after crossing. The pavement has been laid to about a mile past the Pemex. We were going to stay at Gonzaga but with all the confusion from all the construction going on, we continued on. It was a good decision as we just happened to hit Coco's on his 77th birthday. Quite a celebration going on with lots of his friends. He was very happy.

Dave
  4. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    When we were by there Coco mentioned he could use some Meds. He runs out and then has to go a ways to refill. We were going to bring him some on our way back but ending up going on the Pacific side and not up Hwy 5.

This is what he uses
    [​IMG]

Should be available OTC in San Felipe. Coco thanks you :D
  5. OrangeDreamCycler

OrangeDreamCycler ...explorer of options.....

Oddometer:
    As of 1 Jan 2015, Hwy 5 is paved approx 10 miles south of Rancho Grande. No construction equipment in sight. There is an off shoot at that point that hooks up to the dirt road that will take you to Coco's corner. The dirt road to Hwy 1 is in fair shape. Lots of exposed rocks. High potential for flats. (as witnessed by the dozens of shredded tires on the side of the road. I was on a fully loaded Triumph 1200 Explorer and it took me a couple of hours to negotiate that section. If you are headed that way be sure to fill up at the PMEX up the road and fill your water reserves. It sure would be and adventure of a different flavor if you have to walk out of that desolate part of the Baja. Happy Baja Trails. ODC :D:pynd:jkam

I was talking to a local in Gonzaga Bay and he said the reason the construction is slow was because it was being financed by Carlos Slim one section at a time.
  6. operaflute

operaflute Starving Artist

Oddometer:
  7. adventurebound9517

adventurebound9517 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't worry Paula, the dirt to Coco's corner is mostly hard pack with exposed and loose rock. not a bad ride. your 2012 riding partner.
    Phillip
  8. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    The dirt to and from Cocos is in good shape and not difficult, a big 18 wheeler was driving it when I was there.

Coco says hi.

[​IMG]
  9. BlackdogADV

BlackdogADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm traveling this road all the way to highway 1 next week. Who is Coco and where is he located? Does he need anything?
  10. NickW909

NickW909 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. ApexJeff

ApexJeff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nov. We passed a overturned 18 wheeler , pre runners, doziers, blades, and a few motos, days before the 1,000 just past Cocos.

Attached Files: