Baja in December?? Your 2c please

Discussion in 'Americas' started by tobster9, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:

Giver Sh**!

I'm hoping to be entering Baja around the first week of November.

If you are passing through during that time keep in touch.

My plans just don't seem to be in favour of me, but strangely enough I'm always finding a solution in reasonable time. House rental was just affected but as of 5 minutes ago I just got a new lead! In a way the trip has already begun!

Will be starting to pack tonight and testing my gear for size to see what I will need. I'm at 62 liters space at the moment and hoping to not be much over that...

Edit: I should say that I'm at 62 liters LUGGAGE. I'm hoping my packing is that small.. haha.
  2. tobster9

tobster9 Sky larker

Oddometer:
    sounds good Shibby, I get back from Montreal on Nov 1, then I'm free to play unti Jan 1, unless my kids do something terrible.

Im moving out of BC into Alberta when I get back, Id love to hook up in baja, a ride and a beer, awesome stuff:clap

What are your plans? are you riding from calgary? Must be snowing by then I would guess?

Im wondering about gear to wear, pressure suit with back n chest or just an armoured jacket............hmmm real pain in the &*^* to walk around like a transformer when a lot of the riding will be on highways and gravel roads.....
  3. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Actually ... your bike is the first ever DR650 I've heard of to fry a wiring harness like that. How you managed it ... I have no idea. But suffice to say you've accomplished what about 2000 thousand other DR 650 owners could not. :D (see big DR650 thread!)

Having owned both a KLR and Honda XR650L I can assure you both have inferior electrics to the Suzuki ... especially the KLR. This is very well documented.

The Honda isn't too bad actually ... unless the whole fucking battery box breaks off the side and the wiring loom is torn clean off the bike! :lol3 (Been there, seen it in person ... in Baja actually !!! the deep sand Whoop De Doos did him in) Enjoy your prep. Hope your DR holds up well. :clap:freaky
  4. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:

Just make sure the potential problem is taken care of before you set out. No point fixing the result when the problem wasn't fixed.

Alberta is... well... It just is. People have different opinions about everywhere. Depends what you want but Calgary can grow old on me and I need breaks from it. I try to get out every weekend but lately I've sold all my toys in prep for this trip and now I'm starting to go insane =)

Anyways, Yea if we're down there at the same time I'm sure we'll bump into each other. Small world once you get to Baja.

For gear, personally I dont mind wearing a pressure suit and enjoy the extra protection. You will likely be just riding with a Jersey most of the time so MX gear is fine. If the weather goes the other way you'll want a jacket and a thermal layer or two. It can be chilly, especially early mornings and as soon as the sun sets. The days can be blistering hot yet too so you have to be a bit prepared. That being said, to enjoy Baja you will want to be packed as light as possible. It'll help so much when you hit the sand roads and deep gravel. Depending on your willingness, there are some fun trails to enjoy, but you won't be enjoying them if you don't like a challenge. If this is you, at COCO corners you might want to avoid Frog Canyon. On a blistering hot day it can become tiring with plenty of deep sand, deep gravel, and river rocks. Then finishes off with a sand trail with large whoops.

My plans are to join my friends in a trip to Moab, then when they set-up to leave I'll take off through the Arizona Desert towards Yuma/Algadones. It's 600 miles and depends how many times I get lost with how long it takes me to get to the border.

Our trip to moab is from the 21st to the 28th. So I'll probably be leaving the 28th or 29th. If all goes well it would be a 3 day ride to Yuma, but I might stop at a Honda dealer at this point for a last minute check on everything. Not sure if I'm putting new tires on in Moab, or carry them to the border... Either way that only takes an hour or so in a Walmart parking lot... :lol3

I'm running Maxxis Desert IT (make sure it's the DESERT model). They've proved themselves last time with 5 bikes, 4000km each and not a single flat in Mexico. Only two bikes were running slim too. Do put heavy duty, or Ultra heavy duty tires in. The rocks in Baja are not forgiving. They are often hidden in sand, or firmly placed in the ground. Even doing 60km/hr and hitting some make you cringe. Lots of riding is keeping a sharp eye out for these tire hungry rocks.

I ran 15-17PSI, but some of the group were down below 12pSI. I personally don't ever ride below 12 in the front so I'll probably ride around 13-15 again. I'm not one of those who think you have to have 25PSI in a dirt tire. IMO, there are huge handling differences between the two. Also, at 13 PSI you can bang off some pretty ugly stuff without hitting your rims.

I can't wait to eat taco's, or better yet huevos and fresh squeezed orange juice on the beach! MMmmm.

Or a Tecate light with a lime on a hot day feeling the breeze from the sea and telling the venders I'm not interested... :cry
  5. VikB

VikB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be headed down through Baja in late Nov or early Dec on my way to surf in Costa Rica with the GF. I go to Baja most winters so I know my way around. If our timings coincide I'd be happy to ride down together or meet up in Baja. If I'm alone I won't be straying too far off the main highway, but with someone else as back up there are some cool detours to take.

Feel free to PM me if you like. I'm happy to talk Baja even if we don't meet up - it's my favourite place on the planet...:clap
  6. tobster9

tobster9 Sky larker

Oddometer:
    sounds good Vic, Im going to shoot you a PM and see if we can figure something out.

Shibby - are you heading down at the end of Nov or end of Oct?
  7. tobster9

tobster9 Sky larker

Oddometer:
    A huge thanks to MJS for posting me a map of Baja, very nice of you to go to the trouble of doing that, it will get well used for sure :D
  8. VikB

VikB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BTW - GF changed her mind [suprise!...:evil:rofl] she wants to kitesurf in Baja so I'm heading down to La Ventana [just south of La Paz and setting up camp there] I'll be doing 1-4 day rides from there between kitesurfing sessions.

I'll be headed south through LA last week of Nov - first week of Dec - exact dates to be worked out closer to the time...:1drink
  9. r_jacksondiesel

r_jacksondiesel My friends call me Trunk Monkey

Oddometer:
    I'm heading back down the Baja leaving B.C. around Dec. 17th. Rode it last December in my DRZ 400. Most of it off road, but my trip ended early when I wiped out and broke my back near Los Barilles. Insurance took care of me and the bike and I was back to work in two months! I had an awesome riding partner but he's going to be away with his job this year. It sounds like we might be able to do some or all of the trip together. Most days I rode around 300kms, but the longest was from Valle De Trinidad (near Mike's Sky Ranch) to Bahai De Los Angeles (540 kms!!). Try to make you bike able to go 400kms between gas stops. I carried a rotopak and had a 4 gallon Clarke tank. We planned each days route in the morning before we headed out. My favorite places were Mulege, we stayed for three days over Christmas and made some good friends, also did a good day ride around the Bahia De Conception, La Paz was nice too, the ride there from Ciudad de Consticion was probably the most scenic of the trip, and I really liked La Ventana because I am a windsurfing and kiteboard junkie!

Let me know if you are interested in some riding together, one or two more riders in our group would be great.

Rob
  10. tobster9

tobster9 Sky larker

Oddometer:
    Im going to try and leave around the nov 5th if I can, thats probably not going to work for your Dec 17 start, which is a shame, were you riding or driving through the US?

Cant blame you for going with the kitesurfing combo Vic, thats sh%^s crazy, no doubt youll have an excellent time....
  11. r_jacksondiesel

Oddometer:
    We trucked the bikes down to San Diego and rode from there. I got a buddy in San Diego who lets us leave the truck at his place. Also is handy for getting things like tires and parts sent to his place instead of paying big time shipping to get them sent to B.C.
  12. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    were you guys the ones from canada, who got turned around at the border? you parked your truck at our shop????
  13. tobster9

tobster9 Sky larker

Oddometer:
    Driving seems like the smart mans choice, I'll be coming back in Jan so it could be snowing in places, without a doubt it will be raining and cold, I'll probably ride just for simplicities sake. Honk if you pass me :D

Nice of whoever that was to help you out like that (possibly Beechum1 it seems)

This forums such a sweet resource, its almost like a club, this is one of the few places I know where people try to help each other without having a profit driven ulterior motive.......

long live bikers
  14. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:

Best to probably PM me so I get the message.

I'm leaving for MOAB on Oct 22nd. Riding there for the week with friends, then leaving towards Yuma, AZ over 3-4 days if all goes per plan. I'll be swinging by the Grand Canyon on the way down.

I hope to be crossing into Baja first week of November (3-7th) where I might crash a few days in San Falipe if prices aren't too rediculous. If they are high I'll head south a few more days till it gets cheaper. I wouldn't mind stopping in San Ignacio / Mulege / Santa Rosalia if that's the case as I thought they were nice little towns.

Hasn't been decided if I'd do the high country through Mikes Sky Ranch. In Feb we rode it all in the dark and rain/snow. There was 6" on the ground when we finally arrived at midnight. I wouldn't mind seeing more of the area in the day. The morning ride down was EPIC! I hate the word, but the start of a riding day like that can't really be beat. White mountains, 3-4" of snow still on the ground, and the warming sun coming over a bluebird day. The place to ourselves cutting fresh tracks in the snow. That was good times! I fell twice (my only falls in Baja) but I was still happy as hell. They were falls from hitting drainage ruts covered in snow. We even helped out a Mexican family who's vehicle died on the way down. New battery terminal and a bump start and it was up and running!

I hope to do more exploring and try new trails from the ones we did in Feb. With a loaded tank of gas I'll be poking around a bit more. I hope to take in some churches as well.

What upsets me is I think I'll be too early to see the whales. We missed out in the spring because we couldn't get there on time, and then when we asked if we could pay to go out, they said it was too windy. I was pretty sad since it was a highlight.
  15. r_jacksondiesel

Oddometer:
    That wasn't us, we left the truck at my friends place in San Diego and rode from there. I didn't get to ride back, I came home on an air ambulance. My bike got a ride back to San Diego on a trailer and my riding partner brought it back to Canada.
  16. tobster9

tobster9 Sky larker

Oddometer:
    seems like your insurance company came through for you pretty well, who were you using....(my question mark key has mysteriously died), are you still able to make long rides relatively pain free....
  17. r_jacksondiesel

Oddometer:
    I used one world assist, got it from the ICBC/autoplan place here in Sechelt. They were great to deal with. Getting the bike home was going to be a problem, they only cover returning the vehicle up to $4000 and the quotes they got were $6000. But my riding partner organized a ride for it back to San Diego, and then he kept track of his costs and was re-imbursed. It cost them less than the $4000 limit, he got his trip home paid for, and I still have an awesome bike. I am good to go again, no pain on long rides. My wrist hurts a little, it got broken in the crash, but my back is as good as before. I had surgery at VGH three days after the crash. I had a subcutaneous splint that fused the broken vertebrae. I was back to work as a heavy duty mechanic in a mine two months later, and did a three day bike trip for the "No Work Zone" ride in Parksville in May. No problems what so ever. For bike insurance I used Bajabound.com.
  18. Baja Ho

Baja Ho Momentum is your friend

Oddometer:
    Central Coast, CA. USA & Cabo San Lucas, Baja Sur
    How late will you be staying in Baja? I usually do a loop up from Cabo to La Paz, and this year I did a stop over in La Ventana for lunch on the way back. But I don't head down until the middle of January.
  19. redneckjewboy

redneckjewboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I live in Central Cali, about a day from the Mexicali crossing. I'd love to meet up with some of you in the area for a Baja ride. Have always wanted to do it and not so sure I want my first trip to be solo....
  20. tobster9

tobster9 Sky larker

Oddometer:
    excellent, I will PM you and see what we can figure out, not long to go now, just finished ordering another $700 worth of gear and parts, reckon Im up to a couple of G by now, getting ridiculous really, its still just a DR, im going to post up what ive bought for a laugh.....now have to go and change front tire, got the rear done and all the bearings last nite, phew............

hope everyones enjoying their turkey