Baja in December?? Your 2c please

Discussion in 'Americas' started by tobster9, Aug 23, 2011.

1. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    good for you amigo, I have a couple of cold cervezas if you are interested. I live in Ensenada and like to meet does that venture here either on there way back or at the start of the trip. Shoot me a PM when you start and best of luck.

I think you already have a lot to write in your RR.... so make sure you take tons of pics and video.

LIke Chilango mention there are some sections of the road hwy under reparation and man are they long! 10-15 miles long so prepare for the dust and long lines.

I do not know if this has been mention, you will need a TVPI? Temporarly Vehicle Importation permit (or something like that) to go to South Baja, you can get it on line or pay for it at the border in Tijuana or Mexicali, it is not available at Tecate, this is one of the papers you may or may not get ask, but it is mandatory past Ensenada, were you could be ask for it is at the border between the 2 Bajas, maybe maybe not.

Have a great time and enjoy.

Damasovi
  2. tobster9

tobster9 Sky larker

Oddometer:
    cold beer sounds very good, I hope to take you up on that :freaky

I was reading today about the importing vehicle thing and according to Bajabound you can ride anywhere on the peninsula without a permit, http://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/vehicle.asp I was going to get my insurance through these guys, was kinda hoping they knew what was going on, have a look and see what you think.....

cheers
  3. tobster9

tobster9 Sky larker

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  4. tobster9

tobster9 Sky larker

Oddometer:
    After a complete re-wire, new IMS tank and a half decent seat, all bearings and sprockets also changed, 90% re-torqued (will do the 10% later, honest)

Still waiting for more parts, going to slap an FMF on and get rid of that Hindle piece of junk, she needs some case armour, panniers fitted etc etc

[​IMG]
  5. linksIT

linksIT nOObie

Oddometer:
    I'm headed down to the Bay of LA hopefully the first weekend on Novemeber. Would be stoked to join forces with some of you folks, let me know if anyone wants to tag along for a little 4 dayer mostly highway.:evil
  6. tobster9

tobster9 Sky larker

Oddometer:
    seems like there are a few riders heading down, no doubt all with different agendas..........

just a thought, maybe we could try and pic a spot where we could meet up over say a 1-2 day period and then team up from there based on where people were heading, say Mikes Sky ranch or head south etc etc

I know that by the time I get into Baja I could probably rest my ass somewhere for a day or 2 and see who comes by, seems good on paper anyway
  7. r_jacksondiesel

r_jacksondiesel My friends call me Trunk Monkey

Oddometer:
    Mulege is a nice place to stop and rest. It's far enough south that its reasonably warm, it has some nice beaches and great riding nearby and is fairly central. It also has a lot of places to stay and a great hangout called The Shack under the bridge. The owner is super friendly and will make you feel at home. My avatar picture was taken on a morning ride on the beach in Mulege!
  8. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:

I'm game for that. I'll be coming down the east side from Yuma though. A trip up into the hills is no issue.. really, it's not. =) I like riding that area too. It will be colder though.

Potentially rented the house tonight. Confirmation tomorrow. 5-6 months of bliss, however I may have to come back before that because of commitments (dog). Its pretty much an open book and I hold the pen though.

Bike is almost done, paperwork almost done, packing almost done. Just need to finish those items and clean my house. I have 8 days...

Please PM me any details to ensure I get them. I'll be riding offroad for those wanting to see Baja's backyard vs highway views.

DR's looking great! What size tank is that? Estimated mileage? I have 6.3+ gallons, I ran out of gas last year with a 4.3 once going through El Arco. Most time I had spare but we planned our route that way. At the time I had an estimated 250km/tank (nobody said the XRR was good on gas)

I broke down and put a windscreen on it...

[​IMG]
  9. rnrdozer

rnrdozer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We will be headed down to Baja entering through Tecate probably on January 8th. we plan to ride down hwy 5 then all the way to Cabo and back up the pacific side. probably spending around 21/2 weeks. we would love to hook up with some other riders while were down there. we will have around 5 guys on bikes ranging from KTM 990's 1200 gs and KLR 650.
  10. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    I live in TJ, so i'm up for whoever whenever through my hood yo.
  11. Ranger Red

Ranger Red Team Green

Oddometer:
    November 19-26, bike gets a ride in the back of the truck from utah (looking for a good truck stash spot in san deigo) This will be my third time down, first time on a bike. Truth be told I love the freedom and the people you meet south, everthing seems to be just a little more chill.
  12. tobster9

tobster9 Sky larker

Oddometer:
    Ranger - theres a few of us with a loose plan to hook up, as yet theres no set dates, whats your plan once your in Baja?
  13. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last time there we bumped into people who said they store their truck in a secure storage compound in San Falipe. I know it's the other side, but it's also closer to you, more off-road, and you can drive through the open flats that can be silly windy.

You are going to miss the race by a couple days. Nov 17th
  14. Ranger Red

Ranger Red Team Green

Oddometer:
    I know Im missin the race. Im more interested in visiting old beach spots, eating some fish tacos, and kickin back a few caronas. My plans are pretty loose, just wanted to post let folks know Im ridin around, never know when you will need an extra hand:freaky
  15. stickman1432

stickman1432 Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So.Cal.& St George UT-Baja-riding anywhere
  16. Ranger Red

Ranger Red Team Green

Oddometer:
    Its going to be a good time to be in town! On a side note, it will be good to have those heavy rollers it town while riden solo:clap
  17. tobster9

tobster9 Sky larker

Oddometer:
    should be a total blast, a great mix of alcohol, fast machines, dust, and women, not necessarily in that order :D
  18. Ranger Red

Ranger Red Team Green

Oddometer:
    Lookin like the evil lord of word will change my dates to 11-24, 12-6. Im ok with it as long as I get to ride.
    first night 24-cabo puntabanda. Good first day over the border, good food, veiws, camp spots.
    Next, long ride to Alahondos, (as long as I can remmeber which right)
    Then down pass the light house,( stop if I must)
    Then another long ride to Guerroro negro, again stop if I must.
    Then to my old surf spot Baha Asuncion, where I hope to find old friends, and good food. And if not on to
    the beach some ass hole stole my drum San Lucas.
    This will probley be as far south as I go, but at this point yiou can count on another KLR ridin the 1 down, on the 24th, and back again.
    FINALLY SOME FUN, :clap:clap:freaky:freaky:clap:clap
  19. Ranger Red

Ranger Red Team Green

Oddometer:
  20. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Running late already on my "time line".

Currently a few hours east of the Grand Canyon. Hope to see it tomorrow then bust ass south.

Did an awesome UT backroad today, but with a late start and slow pace it took way longer then anticipated. Only did about 300 km's. About 1/2 - 3/4 off-road.