Baja in December?? Your 2c please

Discussion in 'Americas' started by tobster9, Aug 23, 2011.

1. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    <dl><dd>Ellen: I honestly don't think we're going to find the Grand Canyon on this road.</dd><dd>Clark: Jesus, it's only the biggest God-damn hole in the world.</dd><dd>Aunt Edna: Clark, watch your language!</dd><dd>Clark: Make that the second biggest.</dd></dl>
  2. phplemel

phplemel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Am on a 6-12 week ride thru southern US am planning to be in or near Start of Baja 1000 Nov 17th) on a Super Tenere wouldn't mind finding other riders down there to camp/hotel with and do some light dualsport riding
    Am totally inexperienced with Mexico so riding partners would be apperciated pm or email me
  3. Cycleman4

Cycleman4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl
  4. Ranger Red

Ranger Red Team Green

Oddometer:
    I will keep an eye out, good luck
  5. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably obvious, but stay way away from the race course and, if at all possible, away from chase truck routes.

I'll probably be riding in baja a little bit in late Dec. Probably just a day or two in the northern bit.
  6. Exploron

Exploron exploron

Oddometer:
    Adding myself to the list of lone riders wanting to do a Nov/Dec Baja ride. I posted a thread over in Upcoming, but should have put it here in Trip Planning... duh.
    Anyway, I'll PM a few of you guys on this thread to see what's cookin' and if there may be a spot for me somewhere.
  7. Ranger Red

Ranger Red Team Green

Oddometer:
    Headed out in the morning, solo. I will keep an eye out for all the fellow solo riders. :norton
  8. lexluther11

lexluther11 Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer:
    Have a great trip. I'm leaving Dec 23........the count down begins.
  9. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Once again to everyone, I'm a white boy in Tijuana. I speaky engly and spanish. PM me for MX or US celly if you need it. I have tools and a place to stay if anything happens, and other than next week while I'm at the 1k, and I have a van with a ramp if anything else happens.
  10. rnrdozer

rnrdozer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So it looks like we have our trip pretty much nailed down, we will be headed through LA to watch the supercross opener in Anahiem on January 7th get up the next morning and head south through Tecate spending our first night at Mikes. It might be a bit cold or maybe even snow but thats what makes it an adevnture! Next night Gonzaga then San Francisquito. Then probably Loreto to La Paz. I would like to take the dirt road coming into La Paz, does anyone know how this road is, or the best route to reach it from hwy 1? We are on bigger bikes so would like to avoid deep sand if possible.
  11. r_jacksondiesel

r_jacksondiesel My friends call me Trunk Monkey

Oddometer:
    Last year we rode the road from Ciudad De Constitucion to La Paz. It was very scenic. It was also fairly difficult, especially for my partner on a KTM 950 SE. But he made it unscathed and I made it with one punctured tube that I fixed on the trail. The stretch along the coast was awesome and not too hard, but I don't know any way to hook into it other than over the mountains and through the canyons like we did. Sand wasn't bad, but there were some loose big rock sections in the hills.
  12. stickman1432

stickman1432 Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So.Cal.& St George UT-Baja-riding anywhere

There is a great routes on the west side from like the Santa Rita or Santa Fe area south to La Paz, but there are silt beds to avoid and then the mini summit looking down over La Paz. I have some tracks for that area but I am leaving for Baja tomorrow morning for the race. If you can wait till I get back in a week if you have a GPS I could send them to you or you could go to the gpsexchange and look up that area. Just PM me for what you are looking for..........:eek1

http://www.gpsxchange.com
  13. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is the way I just went a few days ago. No gas so 350+ tanks required.

Keep in mind, I passed 1 truck the entire time off-road till I got further down the coast. Be prepared!

I also took the adventurous way through the garbage dump. I met a bigger road about 10 km prior to the Missionary. I think that is the easier way and avoids all the silt beds.

http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=qdwdlbipkwtkafcm
  14. donnh

donnh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at a potential scouting trip to Baja in late December, never been there. The rough plan would be to truck/trailer from Seattle leaving the day after Christmas to somewhere out of the rain and ride south. My wife on G650X and me on F800GS. Spend New Years somewhere and ride back in January. Any "must stop" recommendations? I'll probably pack camping gear but plan a mix of camping and lodging. I'm subscribed.....
  15. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where was the 350 mi no gas stretch? I did most of this route last year alone on SE. Kinda freaked a little at times I must admit.:muutt
  16. r_jacksondiesel

Oddometer:
    This was posted by a Canadian, so most likely he is talking kms.
  17. rnrdozer

Oddometer:
    so it looks like a maze of roads from Ciudad to La Paz. I guess I will have to get some GPS tracks of that area. personally I like a good challenge but I want it to to be fun for our whole group. were the roads fairly good other than some rocks? I think the guys riding the 1200 gs bikes would really struggle in deep sand. I am suggesting that everyone in our group Knobby up for the trip.
  18. r_jacksondiesel

Oddometer:
    We made it through just following the most well used roads and a baja almanac. The GPS we had wasn't very effective, it just kept trying to send us back to Mex 1!! We met a group of guys who did the route from the opposite direction in a done out VW dune buggy. It was rough for them, but they made it. It would be challenging, but not impossible for a 1200 GS with good tires and a good rider. Bring spare tubes though. That GPS link from the earlier post was pretty much the route we took.
  19. rnrdozer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info! I just looked at the gps tracks from shibby's post, looks like the route we will take. The trip is getting closer by the day! I have a Baja almanac and a gps so I'm sure to get lost! I'm adding a 21/2 gallon tank to my 990 and will plan on bringing another extra gallon of gas. The 990 is a pig on gas and will only make it a out 140 miles on the stock tank. I plan on running the Metzler Karoo's for tires and was thinking of mailing a new rear to La Paz. My thought was to ride dirt as much as possible back up the pacific side And was thinking a fresh tire would be nice, is this over kill? I haven't ran the Karoo's so I'm not sure how they will hold up
  20. r_jacksondiesel

Oddometer:
    When does your trip start dozer? We're heading over the Mexican border Dec 20th. Maybe we'll see you down there?