Baja in December?? Your 2c please

Discussion in 'Americas' started by tobster9, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Correct.

Looking at the GPS file it looks like the section I did was actually 288km, and if you fill in CC it would actually be less, around 260.

Not as bad as I thought. There is no gas along the way and most of those farmers I highly doubt have gas they are willing to sell.

The other long stretch without gas in Baja is Bay of L.A past El Arco to wherever you will get gas. Ran out of gas there last year on my 4.3 gallon tank.
  2. rnrdozer

rnrdozer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We are crossing over in Tecate on January 8th spending our first night at Mikes then Gonzaga bay on the 9th, then San Francquito the 10th, Loretto the 11th, then Lapaz on the 12th,13th, and 14th. then we basically have until the 27th to be back in California so we are pretty flexible. how about you guys,do you have any points of interest or dates? How many are in your group? It would be cool to meet up down there somewhere.
  3. r_jacksondiesel

r_jacksondiesel My friends call me Trunk Monkey

Oddometer:
    We're going December 20th, maybe the 19th. Three of us going. Mulege over Christmas and Cabo for New Years is the only real firm plans. Everything else is just what we feel like doing that day. Last year we made it to Valle De Trinidad in the rain before calling it a day. Then to LA Bay for the second night. Crossed over to Guerro Negro the next day and then made it to Mulege on Dec 23. Stayed there until Boxing Day and rode solo to Scorpion Bay. Met back up with my riding buddy in Ciudad de Consticion the next day. Then to La Paz over the mountains and along the coast. A short trip to some friends place in La Ventana the next day and ended my trip Dec 30th with a broken back south of El Cardonal.

We'll be on our way back by the time you are starting your trip. For a thread about Baja in December it seems like a lot of the posts are by people going in November and January!!
  4. rnrdozer

Oddometer:
    Broken back? damit!! well I guess your not letting that stop you this year, I hate those stories!!! well maybe we will see you guys flying the other way somewhere. I only jumped on this thread because I was too lazy to start my own I guess, maybe I will start a baja in january your 2c please thread. have fun on your trip and keep the rubber side down!!
  5. AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check out this hotel in Mulege...what an awesome little restaurant and outside grill. I could have stayed here a month. What a wonderful little place to eat, drink, and sleep!

[​IMG]

Cheers,

Steve
    OnTheWay likes this.
  6. KingsX

KingsX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Should be at Tecate border the 29th heading to San Felipe and down east side.

Just got 1 year policy for Mexico from http://www.mexadventure.com/home.cfm for 116.74 USD, I think 6 month is 94
    dollars...5 minutes on phone and done. It seems AJO insurance who I've used in past maybe doesn't want to insure bikes ?

Kings XXX
  7. rnrdozer

Oddometer:
    Kings, I just checked that site for my 990 KTM. with all the farkeled crap I have added I figured the value to be 20K on the full coverage. the price came back around $300.00 for a month! ouch!
  8. KingsX

KingsX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    mine's an old beater....just got liability......

kings XXX
  9. rnrdozer

Oddometer:
    Steve, I hope they had better parking than I see in your picture!!
  10. donnh

donnh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like we may be crossing the same day - maybe I'll see you there. Orange F800GS and a Yellow G650XC.
  11. KingsX

KingsX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You'll show better than my old pup.........

KingsX
  12. donnh

donnh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What are you riding?
  13. KingsX

KingsX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    old airhead, white....happy trail pannys

kingsX
  14. bmermoto

bmermoto stus52 Supporter

Oddometer:
    2 homes in Mulege- cheap, near the water, beaches, fishing, great off road riding, contact me for more info, pics..... _DSC6137.JPG
  15. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    We've done the ride in November a few times..it's near perfect. THE paved road (there is only one) is basically in great shape and a joy to ride. Some nice twisty bits and lots of ocean front....it's never boring. You don't have to go far off the road to be in the boonies. If you don't like GPS at least carry a compass and use it. Just be mindful of your orientation and know which direction THE ROAD is. Know how to fix a flat. Carry water, air pump, a blanket and gasoline.
  16. oneway

oneway Tehachapi CA

Oddometer:
    Time for a little self reflection:
    How comfortable would you have been with the wiring harness BBQ on the Baja peninsula solo?