Baja, LaPaz ferry to Mainland November 2008

Discussion in 'Americas' started by DualSportKid, Feb 21, 2008.

1. DualSportKid

DualSportKid Battered Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My wife and I are planning a ride in late November 2008 from Florida, across US, down Baja, catch the ferry in La Paz over to the mainland and down to Batopilas then back home. We want to catch some of the Baja 1000 and a few other famous sites. I have a few questions. We will be 2 up on a Vstrom 1000 with luggage and I am a pretty accomplished dirt bike rider but………… How is the road up to Mikes Sky Ranch? How is the road over to Coco’s Corner. Can it be done on such a heavily loaded bike 2 up or am I asking for trouble? Also like to make a few contacts of other riders that might be down there around late November. We will be camping some nights and hoteling it others. :ricky
  2. sbbillder

sbbillder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DSKid,

How long of a trip are you thinking of, from the time you cross into Baja and exiting mainland Mexico? Are you thinking all slab riding or mixture of off-highway roads?

I could plan to be down there to ride along with you, whether I crossed Cortez to mainland or not.

The road to Mikes is pretty rough, it is (or was) part of the Baja500 couse, so you can imagine what happens to it. The road to Coco's
    is easliy doable 2 up.

One question, have you spent much time on wash-board dirt roads on your Strom? The reason I ask is that my buddy has raced off-road since mid 80's & has a DL1K, he won't even let the thing see dirt in the corner of it's eye. We have swapped bikes & I would have to say that it was not very confidence inspiring, and that was 1 up & no baggage. I can't imagine 2 up, loaded.

Not being critical on bike choice, you just don't want to end up on roads that make for a miserable trip.

Bill
  3. DualSportKid

Oddometer:
    I have not got all the details worked out yet but something like this….. Leave Florida on Sat 11-15-08 and be in Ensenada by the night of the 18th for the start of the race on the 19th. Not sure where the race is ending this year yet, they have not posted the map to the web page. But go by Mikes and then down to Coco’s then down to where ever the race is ending for the finish. Over to Cabo Sanlucas for a night or 2 then catch the ferry on or about Nov 24 or 25. Ride from the ferry to Batopilas and spend a night there and then beat feet back to Florida on the toll road. It’s a pretty aggressive schedule I know but I think we can do it.

I plan to do mostly super slab with a little dirt side trips here and there like Mikes and Coco’s

I have some concerns about the big pig on the washboard roads, its no dirt bike and that’s why I am asking the condition of the roads. I am pretty used to a bike slipping and sliding under me as I grew up in Florida riding our deep sugar sand and having to steer with the throttle but I don’t want to get into a situation where I am negotiating 3 food deep washes, boulders the size of bowling balls and having to stand on the pegs for 4 hours to go 20 miles. The way I see it is if a 2 wheel drive pick-up with street tires can make it then I can too. If it’s going to take a Jeep sitting on 33” tires and 4” of lift crawling along in low range then I am out.
  4. dtop1

dtop1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Assuming you are going to take the ferry to Los Mochis you are not going to get to Batopilas in 1 day. You won't make it by the dirt route 2-up on a Vstrom that's for sure. Your option is to ride to just north of Cd. Obregon and take rt 12 to rt 16 then head east. Rt 12 is very twisty and slow and is usually not in very good shape. Rt 16 is generally in better shape but is also slow going because of the curves. Depending on the time you get out of Los Mochis it can easily be 2 days just to get to Creel. From there it's about 4 hrs to Batopilas.

You're not going to like the ride to Coco's then out to hwy 1. It's a washboard hell starting at about Puertocitis and you'll have pieces falling off the VStrom because of the vibration. On the bike you're using, esp. 2-up, I'd recommend just going south on the paved road out of Ensenada and forget about Mike's and Coco's. Dan
  5. DualSportKid

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dan. Good info and it was what I was affraid of as far as Mike's and Coco's. Also thanks for the heads up on the time frame of Los Mochis to Creel. I was hoping that was a one day ride. I would have been in trouble time wise not knowing that it is a 2 day ahead of time. Now I can plan for it.
  6. dtop1

dtop1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know that the Strom has good range but I'd rec. topping up at the Pemex which is on rt12 at the El Rosario intersection (you take the left fork at the Pemex - the right takes you into the town.) The next gas station is at Yecora but they are often out of gas or have no electricity to run the pumps. There's a reliable Pemex at Baseseachic on the right as you are coming into town. There's plenty of lodging in and around the town of Basaseachic. Yecoric has some basic places to stay if you can't make it to Baseachic before dark. Dan