Baja - the best of.......the worst of...

Discussion in 'Americas' started by gaspipe, Oct 5, 2007.

1. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    I'll try to get the next installment going tonight, and maybe start indexing the salient points.

Django - good call on the loot. I like to change pesos at the border, and use pesos the whole trip. Some of the bigger towns can handle plastic in certain places (Loreto, Mulege, San Felipe, La Paz, Los Barriles, Todos Santos, etc.) but you're better served using pesos, especially when you get waaaaay south, and waaaaay off the beaten path.

Insurance - get Mexican insurance before you go. It's basically your bail bond in case of an accident that you can't ride away from. You are guilty since you are the visitor. That's the way it works.

More in a bit.
  2. flyingbeard

flyingbeard Long timer

Oddometer:
    If your in San Juanico, stop by Scorpion Bay. It's a great place to stay the night. You can camp, or rent a nice palapa for not much more. Good food, Hot showers, fire wood and Big Cold Mexi-Beers.

[​IMG]

Man can only live by fish tacos for so long.

[​IMG]

Now back to the Kungfu Master......:clap

GP could you please cover the Satan's Asshole trail in detail. Looks like a fun ride on a EXC, but a Pain in the Ass on a Big Bike. Thanks, it's on my list for my next trip to Baja.
  3. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Hamburguesa is always good. Me gusta mucho tacos de camerones.......

Yes, not so good on a big bike. I will get into some detail about that track. Probably a map too. :thumb
  4. bajabunk

bajabunk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It is still pretty rough. The hill that you refer to as Beezlebubs is still the same. Pictures don't do it justice.
  5. Holaday

Holaday Man of Leisure

Oddometer:
    Great photos and info. Keep them coming. I'm going to do this trip in Nov. 08.
  6. meck13

meck13 Esq.

Oddometer:

Would be interested in talking to you about going along. My brother (DRZ400) and I (KLR650) did 1150 miles of the Oregon Back Country Discovery Route this fall and have talked about Baja.

gaspipe, when you said big bike, are you thinking larger then the KLR650?
  7. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Cabu-Pulmo is a nice place to relax and snorkle and eat good food at Nancy's place, try sleeping in one of her mud huts, you can see the stars and breakfast is included.:thumb
  8. oldxr

oldxr Long timer

Oddometer:
    this a very good thread-looking at all the pics has me ready to go.my bike needs a new chain after last trip.would like to find a crew to team up with to check out areas south of coco's.its very expensive to do this alone.i can get 2 more bikes in my van besides mine.
  9. GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB

GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB Long timer

Oddometer:
    gaspipe, thanks for taking the time to put this together. Sure wish I had made it to NCN just to have the chance to meet you. Maybe one of these days I will have a chance to ride with ya. I really like your style.:thumb Keep it coming.:lurk :tb
  10. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    I would feel comfortable shipping tires to Rice and Beans in San Ignacio, a little more than 1/2 way down.

The last email addy I had for them/Ricardo was riceandbeans@hotmail.com.
  11. wsmc99

wsmc99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did I mention I'm leaving in 10.5 hours! :D
  12. Hammer

Hammer Hawlin' aZZ

Oddometer:
    If you surf, and got here by moto, bum a board. When it goes off, epic is an understatement
    [​IMG]

And I'd like to get some GPS data for Satan's asshole. Next trip will be on the 525, not the 950. :tb
  13. Springs

Springs Shipping Wars

Oddometer:
    My Son, Danno and I are leaving from Seattle and riding into Baja early in November! We are both riding our 04 1150 GS's. From what I have seen in the pictures in this thread and common sense tells me these bikes are going to be very big and heavy for the off road riding we are planning on! I am sure some routes will be fine and other very challening.
    I have not been there before so those of you that have, what can I anticipate on these two large bikes?
    Besides a great time!
  14. oldxr

oldxr Long timer

Oddometer:
    springs-some areas should probably be avoided-like satan's asshole-i dont think its on most maps.last spring i rode from san felipe south to hwy 1 -then to bay of la in 1 day.i would do that ride on a bmw gs type of bike.but i wouldnt cut through a place like calamajue wash with a bmw gs.the aaa map for baja is very good-most of those roads are the locals only access roads and 4x2 pickups run on them.you need to have good dirt skills down there.like remembering to be light on the front brake on gravel.to goto places like gaspipe you need a full on dirt bike.alot of guys haul off-road only bikes below the border because they dont care if you have a street legal bike or not.make sure you can fix flats.
  15. bigdon

bigdon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Gaspipe:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap
  16. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    The only map AAA could give me was for "Mexico" which includes Baja -- is this the map that everyone is talking about?
  17. rollinrob

rollinrob Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got a Baja only AAA map, tons of detail. I think it is the Southern California AAA Baja map or something like that.
    One side is the top half, other the bottom half
  18. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    *****EDIT*****

Gaspipe is signing off ADVrider for a while. It's just a bit of frustration of some of the know-it-all jacka$$es that never leave the armchair position in some other forums, ironically not Jo Momma :lol3 :thumb

I need to take a break from this place. Back, maybe, after a while. How long of a while, who knows? Hope to see y'all out there somewhere riding your bikes, not posting.

Thanks for all the kind words all the same. Baldy, thanks for everything.

Ciao!!!

*****EDIT*****
  19. JKL

JKL Rider

Oddometer:
    Lots of great info!:thumb

I have not been riding Baja since 1985 and I missed a lot!

This winter I want to take my 525 down to go dirt biking.
    2-3 day trips in different areas or set up camp and explore in different directions for day trips?

Anybody interested in going early 2008?
  20. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear it -- thanks for all the info...i'll be using it in less than a month...hope to ride with you someday.

-willy