Baja - the best of.......the worst of...

Discussion in 'Americas' started by gaspipe, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Papa Dulce

Papa Dulce Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    Hey Gaspipe,
    You will be missed. I appreciate that it is difficult sometimes, but pay little attention to thoes folks with small minds and hearts. In the long run, they matter little. Thanks for sharing your experiences and all of the great info. Ride easy Bubba.
    Papa
  2. Hammer

Hammer Hawlin' aZZ

Oddometer:
    Went down last March. Here's the ride report
    I don't ride a Beemer, but I think the big thing you want to watch for, other than nasty singletrack, is sand. I wallowed some, but if the GS is as heavy as I think it is, you may want to avoid the long sandy stretches.

Mas cervesas por mi amigos, por favor!:freaky

And Gaspipe- every forum I've ever been on has had some of the same types....
    Hope you enjoy your break, and return again soon!
    Maybe we'll meet on the trail somewhere!
  3. brad21

brad21 We have a pool... and a pond.

Oddometer:
    Who's the :asshat that pissed off GP? Can we identify him and take him out back? :hung

If I know GP, and I don't really, he'll be back. This place is like a drug.

In the meantime GP, :beer. I've thoroughly enjoyed your postings and I'd love to tip a few with you sometime.
  4. rider914

rider914 Agnostic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We crossed Satan's Asshole from east to west a couple years ago on the 950s. Start ~20miles north of BofLA junction. Mostly easy two-track until San Antonio ruin. Then it got sandy, rocky, and much less traveled. The descent was bad, but I think the rock gardens above and sand washes below took more energy. Was a relief to finally reach the pacific coast. Going west to east would've been alot more work. Was hot and very dry even in december. Ride careful! You do not want to get stuck out there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

+1 on the AAA Baja map. Great for getting the BIG picture not available on the little GPS.

-M
  5. whiskeythrottle

whiskeythrottle Banned

Oddometer:
    well that sucks

:kboom

i try to send message to gp and it doesnt work. maybe got banned. :ear
  6. Johnny Drunkard

Johnny Drunkard Todo utz Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Gaspipe who?
  7. rapiti

rapiti IOR Veteran

Oddometer:
    Good onya Bruce! You have invested countless hours in your ride reports. I am sorry someone pushed a button. It may be a blessing in disguise. Enjoy the time away from the confuser.
  8. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    The Crown Jewel of Baja is Bahia de Conception.
  9. Springs

Springs Shipping Wars

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. Your report was great and has us all jacked up. Yea the soft stuff is worrysum but WTH, we'll just have to see how it goes! You have mentioned many places we have been told about and maybe some of the same routes.
    Our bikes are heavy and might be a handful but, others have done it so I imagine we'll get along just fine! I really don't want to just ride down the HWY to Cabo and back, I want to check out the coast and the small places like you talked about! Thats what Baja is about I'm sure!
    anyway we're heading out next Saturday and really looking forward to the trip.
    Raw fish mo betta, bra!
    Did you do any fishing from the beach or rocky areas? I was hopeing to do that and eat some good fish cooked by me on the fire!
    Springer
  10. sf_motogrrl

sf_motogrrl Where am I?

Oddometer:
    So this is NOT BICIMapas???

What is the product and where is it available??
  11. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in Supporter

Oddometer:
    FWIW...the back way into Mike's Sky Ranch (from the observatory road) was quite entertaining....not many pics since it demanded my loaded KLRs attention :lol3
    [​IMG]
  12. caseycobell

caseycobell On the road to discovery

Oddometer:
    This is all great stuff. I'm heading down on a solo trip through Baja the month of January and soaking up all this good knowledge/experience.

As I expected, it's worth my while to get some good miles between me and the border before I kick up my heels. I've heard varying reports about the security situation, but it sounds like it's pretty much confined to the border region. But still worth it to keep my head about me regardless of where I am.

I've poured over maps and guidebooks, and now this thread. A couple questions come up: what's the best way to be prepared for potential flat tires (I have a '06 1200GS), and how much insurance seems sufficient?

Looking forward to finishing up the job, loading up the bike, and getting into open spaces.
  13. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    I'm going to add to this thread again. But y'all gotta be patient.

[​IMG]
  14. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Check in over at the GSopt Forum and they'll fill you full of info regarding flats.

Insurance is like beer and boobs, a personal thing.
  15. summerinmaine

summerinmaine Hells Atheists MC Supporter

Oddometer:
    Guess I missed your re-entry, but it's nice to see that you're back and contributing! :thumb
  16. MotoMike

MotoMike Washed Up Desert Racer For The 2nd Time

Oddometer:
    I haven't read the whole thread, so someone may have covered this, but, I have been across Diablo several times in the last year and there are no closures. You just have to get on the right track or you end up inside someones Rancho wandering around like idiots for an hour trying to find the way out.

If you are leaving out of Mike's, turn right on Hwy 3 and when you come out of the canyon you will see Diablo on your right. You can either take the sandwash right at the mouth of the canyon (whooped out Score course and gated) or keep going on the hwy almost to the other side of the valley where you will find a dirt road that leads you out to the lakebed. Turn right and its pretty hard to not figure out where to go. When you start getting to the southern end you need to be to the east side of things. This is where we got into trouble, when one of the guys on a big bike wanted to avoid the big sandy whoops, so we took the smoother trail to to the right and ended up inside a fence. Stay to the left of the fence whenever you see it, follow it until you see an old refrigerator with "San Felipe" on it and follow the arrow. That is the Zoo Road.

It looks like this...

[​IMG]
  17. JimC

JimC Long timer

Oddometer:
    This threads been quiet for a while so in honor of Gaspipe's return from anonymity, I thought I post a few pictures from last March.

Riding the Beach near San Quintin
    [​IMG]

Near San Jose Del Faro
    [​IMG]

Whale watching Guerrero Negro
    [​IMG]

Leaving Guerrero Negro
    [​IMG]

Near Bajhia Asuncion
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On the way to Scorpion Bay
    [​IMG]

Scorpion Bay
    [​IMG]

Dirt route from Scorpion Bay to Mulege
    [​IMG]

San Francisquito
    [​IMG]

Following in the footsteps of Great Adventurers
    [​IMG]

Dust Storm across Laguna Dry Lake
    [​IMG]

Makes me want to head back right now :nod

Jim in Sacramento
  18. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible mañana

Oddometer:
    Have a couple of Baja trips lined up soon.:clap

"Best of" from a 2004 Baja trip.

[​IMG]
  19. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible mañana

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  20. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    MotoMike - thanks for the update. I'd herad all sorts of rumors of stuff being closed along that route. Funny how that propagates.

Jimc - awesome trip. The coast from Bahia Tortuga down through Bahia Asuncion, La Bocana, San Hippolito, etc., is a jewel. Thanks! I especially like the pic in the San Raymundo wash. :thumb

Bgunn? Where were you? I don't recognize that area. :scratch