Baja - the best of.......the worst of...

Discussion in 'Americas' started by gaspipe, Oct 5, 2007.

1. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    This is the turnoff to San Borja as you are going east on the paved road to B of LA.

Attached Files:

2. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    Here is shot of the ruins of the old Mission. The road from to San Borja is a really fun, twisty two track. Not difficult, but very fun to wick it up a bit.

Attached Files:

3. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    If I may jump back just a bit to the Calamajue wash...........

As Gaspipe said, this is an awesome ride, often used on the Baja 1000 so the sand tends to stay whooped pretty good.

You start out from Cocos and take the road with a sign marked "Calamajue" You will not go to Calamajue but after a ways down the wash you will enter a scenic canyon with some water crossings. Most of the time they are no big deal, however, they can be a big deal at certain times of the year.

Highly recommended ride from Cocos to BoLA, do not miss this one.........if your on a proper dirt bike. Its another one of my favorite sections of Baja riding. Its doable on a big bike if you are skilled, (not recommended though.) Be prepared for a work out in deep sand, big whoops, rocks, and lot less fun factor.

Attached Files:

4. bajabunk

bajabunk Adventurer

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

5. Green Stainz

Green Stainz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was in gonzaga bay back in mid october and there was no gasolina at the pemex. we had to go over to the "convenience" store across the dirt road to get gas. as Gaspipe repeatedly says: don't pass up gas is a wise statement.
  6. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
  7. SenorFeliz

SenorFeliz hangin' out

Oddometer:
    this is awesome stuff. thanks folks for posting. crashmaster i willl take you up on the offer to PM you so as not to alter the direction of this thread. this is one of my favourite things about this site. information from the ones who have been there done that and keep going back. much knowledge to be had here. Gaspipe........great pics:thumb
  8. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Newer update - the road is paved south of Puertocitos and the new bypass is complete. The new road construction stretches all the way to the Taj Mahal type place that was for sale for a few years. I saw probably 100 workers and lots of big construction equipment working full bore.

New road to the right, Puertecitos to the left
    [​IMG]

View down to Puertecitos from the new highway
    [​IMG]

I heard conflicting info on how far the construction will go. I had breakfast with a couple that has a house in Gonzaga Bay and they said the new road (paved, ack!!!) would only go as far as "the mine." I don't know exactly where the mine is, but it is north of El Huerfanito (sp???). The lizard lady (Kacey ?) of the Baja GPS Book fame said it was going all the way through to Laguna Chapala. And when the construction makes it farther south, another crew will start working its way north from Chapala.

Moral of the story - if you want to see one of my favorite stretches of Baja before it is "improved", go soon.
  9. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    :cry Dang! :twitch

I have a new favorite 'stretch' of Baja for you Jeff. It takes about three of four days of hard riding to get to it though, which sucks the suckiest suck that ever sucked.

The roadbed the lads are laying down is a whole lot better than the coat of black paint that was once the 'improved' road from San Felipe to Puertecitos. I wouldn't be too surprised if in the next few yers they do get to Chapala. If they can work past that 'hilly' spot before El Huerfanito, it'll be cinchy to keep going.

:bluduh
  10. Holaday

Holaday Man of Leisure

Oddometer:
    When I went through there in early Oct. we saw survey crews north of Coco's corner. Kinda looks like the Lizard Lady might be right. Lets hope not.
  11. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    :ear :ear :ear
  12. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  13. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:
    I first visited SF in 1977, it was a failed club med and run by a few gringo's from San Diego. It was eventually purchased and operated by Genaro Valladolid Seamandura. It hasn't changed much in 30 plus years. Few people probably knew Genaro was an electrical engineer as well as an old school Baja amigo. Sadly he succumbed to cancer very rapidly about a year and half ago. His wife negotiated a sale as gaspipe indicated, it was supposed to close las September but I don't have the heart to ask his wife if it went through. I'll be stopping in in Jan, haven't been down since May of this year. One of my favorite places... Changes will be coming I suspect. I feel pretty fortunate to have enjoyed it for so many years, then again, I can remember when Papa Diaz had the only place to stay in BOLA. all 4 rooms. My landlord in San Diego & he were childhood best friends and the first time I went down with a letter of introduction, I was treated like family. Man has that place changed.

Muy tranquillo.
  14. Super Suz

Super Suz N00b with B00b

Oddometer:
  15. ChrisUK

ChrisUK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi guys and especially Gaspipe,

This is a superb thread with lots of great info. I'm flying to LAX on 20th Dec and heading south on a DRZ very soon after. I have a thread running here, looking for ride buddies:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=408154

I have been sitting in my study at home looking out at the English fog and rain (and snow... :1drink ) writing all over a paper map of Baja with your comments from this thread. Are you able to give any more suggestions for the southern half of Baja?

I'm looking forward to riding top to tip and back in about 17 days (12/13 heading south on dirt and 4/5 north on pavement)

Many thanks in advance.
    cheers
    Chris
  16. summitdog

summitdog It's an Azawakh

Oddometer:
    And do you, or anyone else, have a preference or recommendation on GPS maps? I have used the search function but did not find anything definitive on this topic. Being that you have the various add-ons, I would imagine that you can give advantages/disadvantages of them.

Thanks,
    Scotty
  17. summitdog

summitdog It's an Azawakh

Oddometer:
    When trying to cross the border into the US in Mexicali watch out for the "Sentry/Motorcycle lane". Is is the far left lane as you approach the border. Almost no vehicles will be in this lane which is clearly marked for motorcycles but if you take it all the way to the booth at the end of the road (Booth 10), you will be sent to the secondary inspection booth and warned that if you do it again, it will cost you $5,000!!!

Long story short, the road clearly marked for motorcycles and sentry leads to a booth that is only for sentry entrance (sentry is like a quick pass across the border). You have to dive into traffic at the last break in the K wall and merge with the slower traffic. Trust me on this. I was stuck at the border for over two hours going through the secondary screening. (Largely b/c I was contesting the "warning" for lack of notice.)

Scotty
  18. Green Stainz

Green Stainz Long timer

Oddometer:
    scotty,

We did the same thing coming back thru Mexicali. Riding up in the bike lane and my buddy got yelled at and hassled by the border patrol agent. Nothing else to add but you gave good advice to avoid this unnecessary headache.
  19. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    There's another cut in the jersey barriers about 150 feet or so before the special 'booth'. Look for it, and save the hollering at.

Another thing - right now, the main road south to San Felipe has a set of bridges out in the middle of town. You'll go through a mess of BS before you can get back onto the main highway south if you're headed to San Felipe, and it's even worse heading north back to the border. Plan for more time.

The last thing --> if you'd ever wanted to do the more dirty side of Baja, the routes are changing. Progress is trudging forward in Baja, and much of the old, washboard dirt roads (that kept the rabble away) are being paved with gusto.

Most (if not all by now) of the road out to Bahia de Tortugas is paved, the road south into Bahia Asuncion paved, the road from San Ignacio out to La Laguna is being paved, and the road from San Felipe to Puertecitos was repaved three years back. Now, they're working their way to Chapala and Highway 1. I remember when the road to Bahia de Los Angeles (and the road from Agua Prieta to Janos) was dirt. The point is, once some of these places are easily accessible, they will change. IMVHO, not for the better, either.

I was in Baja a couple weeks ago, and was startled to find it was all but dead. I came across only a handful of Americans on bikes in a thousand miles of riding. Alfonsina's at Gonzaga Bay was empty (except for me :thumb ). San Francisquito was empty.

I think I'm gonna go back soon to get me some more.
  20. dirtdiver

dirtdiver Long timer

Oddometer: