Baja - the best of.......the worst of...

Discussion in 'Americas' started by gaspipe, Oct 5, 2007.

1. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Whats the saying? "Bad roads bring good people. Good roads bring all kinds of people." Who said that? Mama Espinosa?

There will still be plenty of good riding in Baja for many years but I'm with you that pavementio sucks. There's always the "bad road" from Agua Prieta to Huachinera. I'm just disgusted at the prospect of Gonzaga having paved road access. It is what it is I guess............

Youre right, Baja has been fairly devoid of moto tourists lately. Here in San Diego we get all of the sensational press on the local news about troubles across the border, so people are skeered to cross over. However because of that, I have recently surfed some world class, normally very crowded point breaks, all by my lonesome.:thumb
  2. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    That road from Agua Prieta used to be dirt all the way to El Coyote where you'd turn off to go to Bacadehuachi and Nacori Chico (that was the easy ride over the mountains). It's been paved way up past Bavispe now up to the arroyo wash. :cry Maybe farther by now.

But we just have to go a little further to find the good stuff. Gonzaga will never be the same after pavement makes access easy since it will be a through road. A lot of folks said BoLA would suck when they paved that, but because the paved road dead-ended, BoLA has stayed good.

Another one of my favorite places is Bahia Tortugas. A long time ago, the big road cuts were made through the mountains out on the west end, but until a couple years ago, it had seemed to have been forgotten. I'm sure the whole road is paved all the way to Bahia Tortugas now, and what I fear is that they'll pave the road from Asuncion south to Abreojos. That'll kill that beautiful stretch of Pacific Coast riding.

Mexico is a big place, so it'll take 'em a long time to pave it all.
  3. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    yup, the bad road from AP is paved well north of Bavispe, was through there last month with ztrab and crew. (thanks for a memorable experience guys!) After you get out of the wash headed south, there is roughly another 5 miles of rocky two track until you hit the oil.

I think they may have plans for the road south from BoLA. The road to Francisquito is pretty much ready for oil, then out of there past Progesso is good for oil all the way to El Arco then to Mex 1 at B. Juarez.

About a year ago they had alot of the road north of Abreojos well graded and ready for oil. Youre right, that really sucks because thats an awesome west coast ride up to Ascunsion. Riding goes away, surf spots get more crowded. the whole escalera nautica project isnt helping things either. However in some ways its good for the locals. Easier access to medical care, cheaper goods and services, more tourism. but at the same time it sucks too. I just had to chuckle when I saw Mex 5 pavement bypassing Puertecitos. Good for them.:thumb Still close enough to bring in "all kinds of people" though.

The good news is that the west coast from Rosalillita north to Rosario will not see pavement anytime soon. Its one of the last really wild coastal areas in N. Baja sporting great riding and world class surf that takes quite a commitment to get into in a truck.

Things are happening fast now, well fast for Mexico, but like you said, its still a big place and will take them a very long time to pave the shit out of it.

Anyway, I digress, now back your original programming. Good stuff gaspipe:thumb
  4. Benjava

Benjava ?

Oddometer:
    It's that time of year again soon, this thread needs a bump :thumb
  5. ROUNDSTOCK

ROUNDSTOCK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    went to tortugas and back thru mallarimo last year,funny thing they started paving from totugas, not vizcaino. seems like a long way to haul equip.so it goes from pavement to dirt (hi speed) then to nice new pavement about 10-15 mi to tortuga ............steve
  6. dirtdiver

dirtdiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny how that is. It is the same way at scorpion bay. Dirt, dirt, dirt then smooth pavement and construction equipment 5 miles out of town. steve

7. brad21

brad21 We have a pool... and a pond.

Oddometer:
    Bump! Any new info on northern Baja?
  8. TemeculaRider

TemeculaRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The paving is at full-steam out of Puertecitos. Fishing in Bahia was full-tilt the week before last, last week was slow but amazingly I caught a dorado on the first cast. Rafael said Nov. 6 was the latest he had ever heard of a dorado in Bahia in 30 yrs!
  9. whitham_wannabe

whitham_wannabe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great thread, chaps, invaluable to Baja virgins like myself. TMR will be heading down that way in March, can't wait now! Were I not riding all the way from Seattle I think I would take the DRZ, but I think the 800GS will do just fine for a first look!

Thanks for everyone's contributions ...
  10. Benjava

Benjava ?

Oddometer:
    bump:deal
  11. Exploron

Exploron exploron

Oddometer:
    Any chance of a resurrection?
    The details in this thread are priceless.
  12. Region Riley

Region Riley rally kit widow

Oddometer:
    It's basically winter in Colorado now, which means it's also Baja trip planning time. :clap

[​IMG]

bump.

:lurk
  13. Dysco

Dysco Diaper slinger

Oddometer:
    Cody and I are thinking early Feb...
  14. AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser Long timer

Oddometer:
    I cannot believe that they are actually gonna pave below Puertocitos...it's been a "work in progress" for about 20 years.:rofl Glad I had chance to ride it unpaved while I could....

Steve
  15. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Its that time of the year again...:ricky
  16. multimoto

multimoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode that section all the way to Gonzaga in the dark.. That was fun. I did have a solid headlight though..

[​IMG]
  17. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pavement now extends to within 4 miles of Gonzaga Bay.
  18. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible maƱana

Oddometer:
    Going quick.. Was there around Dec 5th and it was about 10 miles. Some were riding on new sections, that were not officially opened.

The bridges slow them down.