Baja the end of October 2019...

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Sparta683, Oct 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Sparta683

Sparta683 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally headed to Baja for the first time after 4 years of dreaming/postponing! Thanks to everyone in here that’s added their Baja ride reports. They’ve helped immensely and inspired me.

Me and two buddies are headed down (trailering the bikes) from southern Oregon at the end of the month. Technically we’ll be on our bikes for 12 days. Thinking 6 days south and 6 days back north averaging 150 to 250 miles a day. It would be great to ride the entire length of the peninsula but the point of the trip was to relax and explore. Adding an expectation like that would put stress on us and stress is what we’re riding to get away from! Anyway, I’ll start a thread about the trip in the appropriate section when we get closer to the departure date.

I had a couple questions for anyone that would like to give their advice:

-with the back half (north bound) of our ride being the second week of November, will we have trouble getting hotel rooms/campsites because of Baja 1000 pre running? The idea was to go back up the pacific side and cross over at Tecate on November 7th.

-was there any damage to Mex 5 or Mex 1 from the last hurricane (Lorena?)

Had some more questions but I have to head to work. Thanks again for any advice!
  2. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Explain what kind of bikes you are trailering down to do Baja - off road or dual sport or street bikes ?
    It matters.

Unless you are a racer an” average “ of 250 MILES per day seems like an awful lot to this road rider to have a relaxing experience .
    Saludos from La Paz
    princess jamaica likes this.
  3. princess jamaica

princess jamaica OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer:
    The 1000 is a loop race this year,so only baja norte' will be busier.I agree with SB,what's the rush??Experience baja,don't just ride through it.
    Sparta683 likes this.
  4. Sparta683

Sparta683 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    True. We’re realistic about miles and think that most of the time it would be in the 150 mile a day range. All of our planned routes are slab or dirt/sand roads that are normally traveled (no Green Door Trail for us!)

Regarding the bikes, we’ll be on middle weight adv bikes. A Kawasaki versys 650, a stock Honda Cb500x, and another Cb500x with the Rally Raid level 3 system. All bikes have at least a 200 mile range with 50/50 tires.
  5. Sparta683

Sparta683 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You’re right. It’s hard to get out of my “work mindset” and just let some stuff go. Not everything needs to be planned. Plus my goal is to make this my initial trip and not the only time I’ll ever go to Baja. There will be plenty of opportunities to see parts we may miss.
  6. princess jamaica

princess jamaica OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer:
    Stop by for a cerveza if you'd like.The door is always open.
    knight likes this.
  7. Sparta683

Sparta683 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  8. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    The race isn't until 11/20 so I don't think you'll have trouble finding rooms maybe except on the weekends at the most popular small spots. Most racers have limited time off and really try to rush their pre running if they even have enough time for that.

9. Sparta683

Sparta683 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply. That makes me feel better. I was envisioning being tired at the end of the trip and looking for a place to stay in Baja north but having to camp. I like camping but I’ll probably want an actually bed and shower the last night!
  10. 3bangin

3bangin 2014 tiger 800, 2018 tiger 800 xca

Oddometer:
    Damn, I'm super jealous, I have been wanting to do this for years. I seem to get a loose plan together in the spring planning for the end of October and summer seems to change everything.
    Have a great trip.
  11. Sparta683

Sparta683 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know what you mean. A lot of family stuff this summer got expensive. The wife put me on spending restriction leading up to my Baja trip!
  12. Sparta683

Sparta683 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You’ll get there though. My trip has been over 4 years in the planning with two different times being postponed.
  13. 3bangin

3bangin 2014 tiger 800, 2018 tiger 800 xca

Oddometer:
    Hoping a ride report is coming.
  14. Sparta683

Sparta683 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ll do my best! I’m the kind of rider that gets caught up in the moment and forgets to take pics.
    3bangin likes this.
  15. Sparta683

Sparta683 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Two days out from leaving! Got the trailer all situated for the bikes. One of our other buddies volunteered to drive his truck while we’re down there. Helping with any possible emergencies and just hanging out with us at night. so now there are four of us. I can’t help but feel like having a truck there to “rescue” me might take away from the adventure I’m looking for but it makes the wife feel better about the trip. I’m going to switch this over to the Epic Ride report section. Thanks for everyone’s advice!
    Princess Jamaica, we have a possible house we’re staying at in Mulege. When we get in the area we’ll take you up on that cerveza!
    princess jamaica likes this.
  16. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bring warm clothes, Baja is not that much warmer than SD, we were glad for down jacket at xmas in Baja Conception in 1986
  17. motomarty

motomarty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm headed down on the last week of November if anyone needs ride company. I'll be riding out of Mulege off road with no solid itinerary. First stop San Juanico I guess....
  18. intothewildBC

intothewildBC n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Motomarty, You still heading down to Baja at the end of November. I am very interested in a little trip South in the coming weeks if you or anyone else is interested.
  19. motomarty

motomarty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm most definitely down for it. I was planning on driving but i only have 2 weeks so bike is stored in Mulege. I should be suited up on the 21st and pointed where the wind blows!
  20. intothewildBC

intothewildBC n00b

Oddometer:
    Sounds good Marty. I will be driving in from the States, maybe San Diego area and then heading South. The Baja 1000 is on the 19th to 24th November if you have any interest in seeing some of that. The main race days are the weekend of the 23rd and 24th. It starts and finishes around Ensenda.