Baja Time Machine

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by neduro, Mar 3, 2011.

1. neduro

neduro Addict

Oddometer:
    Today was a day for proper exploring. We've got a couple days to make it back to the truck in Tecate, and only about a day worth of riding if we go straight there, so we decide to see how lost we can get.

We follow our nose up a big wash, and through some old abandoned roads working our way first to the East, and then North. Eventually, we come to the end of the map, but it seems like there are options heading the direction we want to go, so we start exploring them. This is literally the only picture I have, once it started drizzling I put my camera in my pack to keep it dry and never got it out again.

[​IMG]

Seldom used roads give way to unused road, and all dead end or circle back around. After about 80 miles of exploring, we're about 5 miles from where we went off the map we have. Rain is closing in, it's time to bail.

[​IMG]

Despite the fact that we were unsuccessful in finding a way North, this was some of my favorite riding of the trip. There's a feeling I get when I'm following my nose, with no particular idea of where I am or where I'm going, that is irreplaceable. It's a feeling of self reliance and complete involvement with where I am.

We come out South of San Quintin, and the rain starts falling in earnest. Soon we are cold and wet and bedraggled, so we stop in for a meal. Too soon, it's over and we're back on pavement heading North. We get into the Meling Ranch (this is one of my favorite spots in Baja, try it instead of Mike's Sky Ranch the next time you're down there!) after dark and seriously hypothermic. They build a fire, make us some dinner, and get some hot water going for a shower. The fireplace in my room seems to vent exhaust inside, so I'm left to decide between hypothermia and Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

[​IMG]

CO is the easy choice, I figure I'll just die peacefully and warm in my sleep. :lol3
  2. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    I guess this is the politically-correct way of saying, "no way in hell am I giving up the beta on the Rockman Trail."

Fixed

Great riding guys!
  3. neduro

neduro Addict

Oddometer:
    Sorry man, I can't do it. It's somewhat apparent where it is from the report, but that's as far as I can go. What fun would it be to screw on the first date?
  4. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome stuff, I miss baja :clap
  5. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:
    There is some very good photography in this RR Ned.

Great stuff, really enjoyed the read.

:thumb

dc
  6. trackhead

trackhead Utard Wankster

Oddometer:
    Permission to use that in the future?
  7. Trey650

Trey650 Are We There Yet?

Oddometer:
    Window Rock Trail. Awesome ride. It's easy to get to and everyone knows where it's at. Just take the ...... course south and turn at ........ then follow the single track ....... You can't miss it.

Nice write up Ned, the real question is .. Are you going to finish it?

RIP recon next week for some places not seen anywhere.
  8. Motojournalism

Motojournalism motojournalism.com

Oddometer:
    Love this pic :thumb
    Can never forget the view down that long hill into BdLA either. Always with the frigate birds and vultures circling overhead.
    Thanks for posting the status on Coco as well.
  9. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
    Sweet ride there Ned - !

One of these winters, I'll give up skiing for a couple weeks and head down there. You really make it look awesome :clap
  10. neduro

neduro Addict

Oddometer:
    The EE universal mount. It's not perfect, I hit it with my "gentleman's tackle" when I try to ride aggressively, but it's not bad and it's nice not to have to dig around for the GPS.

Granted!

It really is awesome. You'd love it. That same feeling of freedom and exploration and following your nose you get in Nevada, plus there's some water. :thumb
  11. neduro

neduro Addict

Oddometer:
    With about half of my brain cells remaining, I wake up in the morning to the sun. It's beautiful, but cold out.

[​IMG]

Apparently it's been years since the snow was this low (note the mountains in the background). We're going up and through...

Drying efforts were in vain. We gave one last ditch effort in the sun, and then pulled on wet gear.

[​IMG]

It was moist through El Coyote but we knew we'd hit white stuff ahead. Oh well, let's rail while it lasts!

[​IMG]

The loose rocks are a little tricky in the snow. Gotta pay attention!

[​IMG]

Getting deeper:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stop frequently to regroup. I'm leading since I'm the most familiar with the intersections. David is chasing, his bald tire doesn't seem to matter to him. Mike is in the middle, a septuagenarian riding quickly and efficiently through the slippery stuff impresses the heck out of me!

[​IMG]

I look back at one point and see David in a giant broadslide. He instructs me to just light the rear tire and then play with peg weight. Don't worry about throttle control he says, just keep it boiling and play.

Soon we are doing powder 8's chasing each other... fun fun. I was laughing so hard I cried.

[​IMG]

We came into Valle T and met some other adv'ers- Esteban and company, on their way home from a great trip also. We had to be back in CO the next morning, so we burned up to Ojos and rode to Tecate in more snow. Cold feet, wet hands, the camera stayed away. Tacos at the border, back into the truck, and pinned it for home.

[​IMG]

That's it for my pictures, it was a really great time. Brrraapppppp!
  12. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    Thanx Ned!
  13. Region Riley

Region Riley rally kit widow

Oddometer:
    :clap

That is a great picture! :lol3
  14. Bonnie Abbzug

Bonnie Abbzug Property of Hayduke

Oddometer:
    +1

What a fun looking trip! :clap

Thanks for finishing your report Ned!! :D
  15. perotyme

perotyme n00b

Oddometer:
    looks awesome!
  16. bikepikespeak.com

bikepikespeak.com Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for a great RR! :clap Enough to make anyone jealous forsure!! You've got some great photography skills too!
  17. kennyh

kennyh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, great stuff Ned. THANKS
  18. gee

gee Safety First

Oddometer:
    Cool report, thanks for the escape
  19. OaklandLion

OaklandLion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nice RR - thanks for sharing.

But I wonder why you won't share the GPS tracks for that trail? I mean, you live in CO, it's not your backyard. And, what's the downside of sharing?

I don't get it.
  20. neduro

neduro Addict

Oddometer:
    Thanks, glad you enjoyed it!

I'll try to explain, I hope this won't be one of those cases where what I type fails to convey what I mean, or I tick someone off where I don't mean to.

1) Tracks that get shared publicly get the crap beat out of them, as legions of people fire up their GPS and their bike and go run them down. That's already happening to these to some degree, and yes, I'm part of that problem. But I came by them honestly, from meeting the guy who built the trail and to me, that seems different than just download and ride. Maybe I'm kidding myself, it's happened before.

2) My proximity to the location has nothing to do with how much I care for the area. I guess it's my turn not to get it, I don't understand what my location has to do with anything?

3) Exploring means getting lost and suffering through endless dead ends and impassable spots, etc. GPS tracks mean knowing for certain that this route does go through and lead to gas. I found a bunch of this stuff using the former method, and wouldn't want to deprive anyone of the fun of that, I think following the screen is a pale shadow of the fun of finding stuff yourself.

I hope that makes sense, to me, there's both a moral and a philosophical problem with sharing tracks publicly. I can certainly understand how others would see it differently, so I mean no offense!