Baja Time Machine

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by neduro, Mar 3, 2011.

1. OaklandLion

OaklandLion Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thank you for your response. I think it's okay that we disagree...that's life.

Personally, I'm not as daring/adventurous as you or many other folks on this site. I don't like getting lost or even exploring as you do. My GPS units are my crutch.

Keep riding! :clap
  2. SP's Dad

SP's Dad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not being a dick, but that is a prime reason not to share tracks.

If people are not properly prepared for the potential pitfalls of riding in areas such as these, it can create a potentially lethal situation.

Keep Exploring:nod
  3. advjackass

advjackass orange crusher

Oddometer:
    Thank you for posting your ride. unfortunatrly i could not make it down this year but reading your report and others keeps baja alive for me. Meeting other riders on the trails and learning about areas from them and trial and error is what makes baja such a special place for me. keep on keeping on.
    thanks
  4. OaklandLion

OaklandLion Been here awhile

Oddometer:

When someone says "not being a dick", I think that's a pretty good indication that person thinks they are being a dick.

I didn't say I'm not prepared.

I'm aware of the risks and I spend a fuckload of time minimizing the risks. One of the ways I minimize the risks is by not exploring for new trails off the beaten path with fuel being an unknown. I'm content with existing trails.

I have a SPOT tracker, but I'm going to feel like a dang failure if I have to activate SOS on it because I got in over my head.

Ned - sorry for derailing your RR.
  5. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible maƱana

Oddometer:
    Top notch ride report and pics. Liked it all except for the snow...:eek1

Our last trip down in Jan. 2011, we were using some gps tracks from 2007.

Mother nature had redesigned some of the trails. Tracks were there but the trail wasn't.

Ready for more Baja
  6. Salsa

Salsa Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the quote, I'll use it when it is appropriate!!!!!!!

Don
  7. Z_HARSH

Z_HARSH Like margarine?

Oddometer:
    I feel for you Ned, it sucks having to keep telling people “no” no mater how many times you say why you can’t. It kinda makes me feel like a dick but if the guys that broke their backs making it possible want it that way then let it be so I figure, for me it is all about respect for their wishes. Thanks for the posts, props on the end-to-end 22 Day Trail ride
  8. sikander

sikander Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wish i too had a friend with i could go on long journeys like that .
  9. MKJ

MKJ Married w/ Children

Oddometer:
    So you gonna spill the tracks or what? :lol3

Oh, I forgot................... you're at Dakar.

Well, maybe when you return? :lurk
  10. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Uh, I hope he doesnt. These trails dont need more riders. Go explore for yourself and find your own advneture, thats what Baja is all about.
  11. bajaburro

bajaburro Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer:
    in the old days you had to know a littlte bit about baja, that you learned by actually doing.now some noob with a gps comes back from a trip and puts in all the gps data.this is what has turned baja into just an extention of so. cal. for many of us.
  12. MKJ

MKJ Married w/ Children

Oddometer:
    You boys don't even know sarcasm when it hits you right between the eyes. I have done my share of exploring, so relax, Francis.
  13. Grinder

Grinder Wrong way 'round

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure i agree.

For some of us Baja is a place we have limited access to. My gang for example has to drive for 4-5 days to get there. The GPS tracks allow us to maximize uor experience when were there. The exploring is great and allot of fun, however many of us are more comfortable knowing where we are going.

That being said, I am starting to "get" Baja. I mean it isnt very wide, ant the main roads cris-cross it so getting lost is pretty hard. There are usually roads or trails in the direction you want to go in. I would still prefer to have gps tracks, as a backup, and a general guide.

Thanks Ned for your RR. Always love to read these Baja threads

14. SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome RR. Always great to see people doing rides on dirt bikes with tags, instead of cruisers with knobbies.

Now, I gotta get myself down to Baja for some of this action
    :ricky
  15. tatterhood

tatterhood Sturdy Girl

Oddometer:
    Before reading this RR and seeing your pictures Baja was always a place to go ride but not anything particularly high on my list. You've managed to bump it up the list...way up the list. I didn't see the appeal before now...Now I need to go explore it. Thank you.
  16. dirtdiver

dirtdiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great trip! DD
  17. dirtdiver

dirtdiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whether you have tracks or not I think we can all agree that gps is a pretty amazing tool. I work on the ocean day in and day out. I can almost not remember how it was trying to find a spot on the ocean prior to gps.

I would have to say the I rate gps as one of the best technology solutions of the last 50 years. :1drink Way better than mp3...

DD
  18. clrobins

clrobins Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great Baja ride report! I love single track ride reports. When I was down there I didn't have enough time to find anything as good as that. I'm glad you're not dealing out the tracks though, I love how Baja is still fresh and undisturbed!
  19. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumb

You will never see his tracks.... He does not carry a GPS. :evil Go explore and have fun!

GO NED!!! Ned is the only remaining American rider in the Dakar 2012!!!!
  20. Hosebag

Hosebag Difficult but Useful

Oddometer:
    Our next Baja trip will definitely be 'more 'out there', but as Jason says, it's nice to have a little fall back, particularly as we're 5K from home and not dropping down from SoCal.
    Love the land, love the peeps, love the RR's. Pardon the hijack.

Thanks Ned :D