Baja Track logs

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by ktmnate, Feb 28, 2006.

1. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is a trip I did between February 11, 2006 and February 19, 2006. It was done on a KTM 640 Adventure with camping gear. No saddle bags were used but I did have a Woolfman and a tankbag.

Day 1 in San Diego going through the Tecate border crossing and then East to what used to be a KOA. The camp is about 10 miles east of Tecate and is easy to spot. It's secure and will park your truck while you explore Baja.

Day 2 goes from the camp to Mike's Sky Rancho. There was about 60 miles on Hwy 3 but other than that it's all dirt.

Day 3 goes from Mike's Sky Ranco to El Rosario. It's back to Hwy 3 for about 12 miles then at Val De Trinidad for gas and to find the dirt road that connects with Hwy 1. The road isn't marked but the track shows it. Also a word of caution. the first part of the road has cross streets that aren't visible. We almost had an incident with a truck crossing the road.

Day 4 goes from El Rosario to Catavina. It's all Hwy 1 with a quick run up to El Marmol which is about 11 miles of smooth gravel road (very fast).

Day 5 Catavina to Gurero Negro. A quick stop at the bank in Gurero Negro and then it's to the beach to camp.

Day 6 Gurero Negro to Camp Beluga. We rode up Hwy 1 to the south entrance to Coco's. It's deep sand and an absolute hoot. There are some rocky sections and water crossings and a bunch of whoop's.

Day 7 Camp Beluga to San Felipe. Just a stright shot up the road. The section between Gonzaga and Puertecitos is very washbordy. I thought it was the worst road ever. Still made good time. A quick stop in Puertecitos in the hot springs and then it's up to San Felipe. The road to San Felipe has got lots of potholes! Some as deep as 6" then there are the Vados. Dips in the road. at 70mph they can catch you off guard. If ready you can jump the bike or wheelie out of there like Gaspipe!

Day 8 San Felipe to San Diego. Uneventfull and confusing. The roads in Ensenada that connect Hwy 3 to hwy 1 are confusing. Once on the toll road it's a stright shot untill Tijuana. In Tijuana, we opted to use the Otay Mesa crossing. It was still 1/2 mile of trafic.

Nate <STYLE type=text/css><!--td.attachrow { font: normal 11px Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color : #000000; border-color : #000000; }td.attachheader { font: normal 11px Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color : #000000; border-color : #000000; background-color: #D1D7DC; }table.attachtable { font: normal 12px Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color : #000000; border-color : #000000; border-collapse : collapse; }--></STYLE>

Attached Files:

2. Hammer

Hammer Hawlin' aZZ

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Nate! I'll load 'em in the GPS for this summer!
  3. GoGriz

GoGriz Gelandestrasse

Oddometer:
    Major thank you bro! I saved that bad boy and hope to use it soon. I'm in my third semester of Spanish and can't wait to start using it!! Muchas gracias mi mejor amigo!
  4. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    I sure hope you pack lots of water. On the Sea of Cortez side, it was hot. We had temps in the 90's. Talking to the Pemex attendant at Gonzaga, summer is usually around 120. And it's said to be humid. I guess as the temps drop on land, it draw's the moisture in.

Nate
  5. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea, Spanish would have made things much easier. Talking to some of the local folk at fishing vilages would have been much more enjoyable.

Nate
  6. Hammer

Hammer Hawlin' aZZ

Oddometer:
    Yup. I'm figuring on 2 gallons a day, and water purification equipment along with me. So, I need to hit water as often as fuel, and/or water on the trail that I can purify enough to drink.
    I'm probably going to trend toward the Pacific side, as well, knowing it's a "bit" cooler there.
  7. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    Schweet! I would love to be down there in the summer. I don't know if I would do any agressive riding but hanging on the beach would be awsome.

Nate
  8. Zen Slug

Zen Slug Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nate,

I'm looking for a place to camp with a group over the weekend of the Striking Viking party (April Fools). I was planning to stay on the U.S. side of the border (e.g. Cleveland Nat'l Forest) but might consider a place south of the border if it comes recommended. Got any suggestions, or more info about the place where you store your truck?:ear
  9. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nothing near Tijuana. If you wanted to travel to Tecate, there is the old KOA. It's actually prety nice and the border crossing is the best I have seen yet. They have secure parking if you wanted to leave your truck there. The way point is labeled "KOA Tecate"

Nate

Attached Files:

10. Zen Slug

Zen Slug Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We'll probably end up staying someplace on the U.S. side of the border. We are planning to ride in the Corral Canyon/Otay Mtn. areas on Saturday, April 1st and then meet up with the SV group after they cross the border on Sunday morning (place TBA).

I'll remember that KOA place for next time I need secure parking near Tecate:deal

Thanks again!:thumb
  11. Pointman0853

Pointman0853 Unregistered Gun Owner

Oddometer:
    Can Mapsource Routes be loaded into a 2610? :huh

Pointman
  12. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe you can. I was trying to get to the Garmin page but it's down.

If I am correct, your answer should be in this link:

http://www.garmin.com/support/faqs/faq.jsp?faq=217

Nate