1. eNewsletter Sign Up

2. Dismiss Notice

Baja - trailing dirtbikes

Discussion in 'Americas' started by stovepipe, Sep 24, 2007.

1. stovepipe

stovepipe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Everyone,
    I am thinking of going down to Baja for a week after Xmas.

I'll be pulling a small trailer behind my Subaru with 2 dirtbikes on it. I would rather ride my KLR all the way there and back, but my special lady is coming along, and wants to ride. Since her 250 Ninja probably won't fare well down there, we were going to bring our dirtbikes.

The idea is to trail the bikes there, and then spend the time driving the subaru to places, parking it, and riding dirtbikes for a bit... rinse and repeat.

Should I worry about leaving the Subaru/ trailer unattended for periods of time? How about the bikes on the trailer at night?

Ever run into trouble camping wherever you like?

Although I have been to Mexico before, I will be new to Baja.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
  2. bajaboundmoto

bajaboundmoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The answer to all your questions is.... it depends.
    You need to be more explicit. The difference of a few miles can make a huge difference.
    Where are you going?
    Do you have a plan?
  3. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    Regarding the trailer, use a hitch lock and a padlock on the trailer tongue.
  4. stovepipe

Oddometer:
    Our plans are barely hatching. I don't need to make it all the way down to Cabo, we just want to cruise around, get some dirt and beach time and camp out . I will come up with some more solid plans if it is really advisable... but we would moreso like to just wing it.

Are there areas that I should avoid leaving a car, or trailered bikes un-accompanied?

I plan to do my best and not be a jackass gringo tourist who leaves things for the stealing in crap areas... but i am a gringo and any advice would be helpful.

thanks!

5. oldxr

oldxr Long timer

Oddometer:
    if you go down to san felipe and park your rig in a campground you should be ok.good town to use as a base camp for riding.you can get a camp spot on the beach and have showers.from there you can overnight ride to mikes or alfonsina's .lots of riding south of town on the beach. your girlfriend will probably like the showers.get used to riding sand.if you take a tent lock your valubles up in the car even though car is parked in campground-do leave in the tent.this will get you used to baja .note-you ride your dirt bikes in town-no need to use trailer after setting up camp.they dont care if its legal for street down there.when you ride in baja you will see car bodies picked clean-i wouldnt leave my rig parked somewhere while riding.thats why i leave parked in a campground.used club depesca campground many times and have not had my rig broken into while gone 2-4 days.kind of an expensive parking spot taking up an rv space on the beach-but if your nice the retired people will keep an eye on your rig will you are gone.
  6. stovepipe

Oddometer:
    Thanks Oldxr!

This is my first trip down into Baja, so the advice is much appreciated. What are Mike's and Alfonsina's?

Do you have other favorite spots?

Thanks again!
  7. Gregg Wannabe

Gregg Wannabe Just killing time

Oddometer:
    Check out the Ride Reports, there are many in Baja. They will give you some great ideas for areas to check out and also give you a sense for the adventure (read: risks) involved with travelling in MX.

Check out Outer DArkness in the Regional sections as well.
  8. ozrockrat

ozrockrat Ozrockrat

Oddometer:
    Also check out how many vehicles you can take in. I remember reading somewhere that you could only take 1 vehicle and it must be titled in your name?????

Not a fact just a faint memory but worth checking out :deal
  9. bajaboundmoto

bajaboundmoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    re: amount of vehicles - Sounds to me like he's driving an SUV with trailer and 2 bikes. He's fine.

Stovepipe - Get yourself a AAA map. It will show you where Alfonsinas is (about 105 miles below San Felipe) and where Mikes Sky Ranch is (about 75 miles from Felipe and the route not super straight forward for a rookie).
    Both places have small hotel/bar/restaurant. There's gas by Alfonsinas (Gonzaga Bay) but you need to be good for at least 105 miles. There is not gas at Mikes but you can find gas at San Matias or go a little out of your way to Valley Trinidad (both on the map).
    If you based out of Felipe and did over nighters at both those places it would be a fun 1st trip. Nights - Felipe, Alfonsinas, Felipe, Mikes, Felipe.
  10. stovepipe

Oddometer:
    i'll be trailing 2 bikes behind my little Subaru Stationwagon..

I will definitely check out the AAA maps.

My girl is a novice rider and I don't want to push her too too much. So overnights or day trips out of a town sounds about right..

San Felipe has been mentioned. Thoughts?
  11. stovepipe

Oddometer:
    thanks a ton for the advice, by the way!
  12. oldxr

oldxr Long timer

Oddometer:
    i got a book called traveler's guide camping mexico's baja at borders bookstore -its very good on where camgrounds are at.in san felipe i usually stay at club depesca in a beach spot.you can pitch your tent on concrete behind your car to keep the sand out of it-next to your palapa.carry a spare tire for the trailer and if it has those small wheels carry extra bearings.those little wheels spin alot faster than car wheels and the bearings need to be properly serviced.my trailer runs 15" car tires-they dont fall into pot holes as far.if you stay in san felipe you wont need to haul the bikes again-you just ride them in town.there is a big walmart in el centro and another walmart in mexicali + costco in mexicali.but i usually like to go thru mexicali just after sun up-the traffic sucks there and you can shave about 15 minutes and make it a much mellower trip .do not go thru mexicali on saturday night-they drive drunk there.if you have aaa you can by mexican insurence there -i guess you can buy online but i havent tried it.those insurence places at the border arent always open when you need them to be.[​IMG]
  13. cycletlh

cycletlh Slower than yesterday!

Oddometer:
    I second what oldxr said about San Felipe! Lots of riding options from there, it is a nice fun town, the water is beautiful and a great place for base camp. I like Pete's camp, you stay right on the beach and they have a restaurant/bar that is very good. (even internet access)

Try to plan you trip when the college kids are not there. Do not know what you and the misses ride but plan for extra gas. Baja is fast and you use gas faster than you find places to get it.

Give a ride report when you get back.
  14. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Gordo tonto y contento.

Oddometer:
    San Diego, not Mex, but I can smell it from here.
    Get your stuff insured for Mex... and lock it while you're there.

San Felipe would be a good first trip. If the girlie is truly a novice, the ride down to Alphonsinas/Gonzaga Bay might be a bit much.

This is a good Baja resource. I'm a satisfied member, no other affiliation.

www.discoverbaja.com
  15. advrider12981

advrider12981 Allroads!

Oddometer:
    I am taking a trip to San Felipe and the surrounding area next month (Nov. '07) will provide current updates upon arrival home. We are hauling a toy hauler with 4-5 bikes. Plan on staying in and around San Felipe. If anyone has any suggestions for the place to go and those not to go, I welcome your comments.:1drink
  16. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    There are quite a few camp sites south of San Felipe. We have stayed at Campo Mazatlan with great success many times, about 15/20 miles south, (don't forget to turn left at the airport junction). Showers and real toilets, although rustic! (Read crummy looking). Towing your trailer and bikes is no problem. No special permit needed. You can get insurance if you want. Just before you cross the border it is available in many strip malls.
    If you ride to Alfonsinas plan on staying the night, it's a great hotel. Going to San Felipe Ensenada way then over the country is scenic, Mexicali then down the coast is quicker. I like to GO Ensenada way, and come BACK Mexicali way, therefore getting a taste of both.
    James
  17. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Riding offroad in Baja can be very tough---sand---stutter bumps and rocks that will shake you teeth out and vibrate your bike apart.

I almost hate saying this and bursting your bubble---but BAJA is no place for an inexperienced rider----as you say your girlfriend is. I know you can go your own pace---but still...... it is a very tough place to ride. Sand is one of those things that even veteran riders are sometimes afraid of.

You better be prepared to throw down camp anywhere in case you don't get as far as you think you might. Seems that is the way Mexico is. You look at a map----but it takes 2 or 3 times longer than you think to get somewhere.

As far as safety---you just have to be very smart. I've never had a problem in Mexico---but always have known if I do----it might be ugly.

I always ride slower than my riding ability and pee-brain wants to go.