Baja Trip Dec 27 to Dec 30 2007

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by sito, Jun 11, 2007.

1. sito

sito Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been wanting to do a Baja trip for some time now. I would like to see If anyone else would be interested in doing a little trip down south in Dec. The dates are not locked in stone but they seem to be the most practical (at least for me). Christmas is Tues the 25th. Weds gives everyone time to pack and get ready. We head out early Thursday morning the Th, explore around Baja the 28Th & 29Th Head for home the Sunday the 30Th. Back home a day before New Years Eve.

As far as the Baja route I'm open to suggestions. I have never ventured down in Mex on a bike. (done Cabo and La Paz in 4X4's) So far I'm thinking San Felipa Day 1, Mikes Sky ranch 2, head over to the Pacific side (can't think of the name) day 3, back up to the border day 4.

Has far as accommodation I would like to try and hotel it. We could camp, but Mex is cheap enough and the trip too short to be slowed down with a shit load of camping gear. Plus I like a soft bed and the Girlie drinks with the little umbrella on them:lol3

REQUIREMENTS:

1. MUST BE BIG BIKE DO ABLE (I'LL BE RIDING A 950). This dose not mean it has to be boring flat roads. Just no goat trails & miles of sand whoops please!
    2. Bikes should be in good working order and ready to do 1500 miles. This means don't re build your bike the night before and hope she hold together. Granted bikes do malfunction and break down that's a given. Just make sure you do a good bike prep before you head down.
    3. Should have good/ average riding skills. I'm not saying you need to be able to race the Baja 1000. We probably will be doing 100-200 miles a day all dirt at a good pace. This would not be a good trip for a newbie with a new bike and little riding experience.:cry but you got 5 months to get ready!:clap
    4. Good attitude, make all the difference in a trip like this. Let's face it shit happen out there and plans change. We stick together and leave no man behind.:freaky
    5. Anyone speak Spanish? if so the first nights dinner is on me!:dg

So their it is. Anyone interested?????:wink:
  2. Borracho

Borracho EDDIE WOULD GO

Oddometer:
    This sounds like a sweet ride.

I've been into MX 3 times; all along the coast of Baja. This will be a nice change of scenary.

If we go straight out from Mike's, we'll go through San Vicente and should end up near (I'm with you; can't remember the name).

I hable un poco (speak a little bit) does that at least get me a beer :D

This will be a nice warm up ride for the Belize trip if we all still go for it.
  3. scottcolbath

scottcolbath Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ensenada?

S.C.
  4. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target

Oddometer:
    Tell everyone how you bailed out on me at WARPED by getting a Hotel room while I slept in my tent in the rain...

:lol3

its on the calendar.... Im tentatively in!! Id have to get TKC's! Cool!!
  5. hahmule

hahmule Balding Gloriously

Oddometer:
    Was planning a trip in October-November, co rider had back surgery and it was off. It would be cool to hang with you guys. Sounds like a good ride for Husky 610. :1drink
  6. Borracho

Borracho EDDIE WOULD GO

Oddometer:
    I think I remember Posole Vato being interested as well.

Sounds like this will become one bitchin trip!
  7. sito

sito Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did set my tent up! too dam cold for me! That wasn't just a hotel the room came with a Jacuzzi tub! I don't like to suffer:lol3

OK I'm going to pencil in the date. DEC 27TH TO THE 30TH!

The town I couldn't remember is call "Santo Tomas" i don't think I spelled that right?
  8. Borracho

Borracho EDDIE WOULD GO

Oddometer:
    Nope you're right; Santo Tomas. Some call it Santo Thomas "Saint Thomas". Such a beautiful area.
  9. eatpasta

Oddometer:

So you want to go to country where you cant drink the water?! You big pansy.... thats it! when you finally drop your KTM, I aint helpin!!

:lol3

and I guess that means I have to go all the way to Mexico to watch you drop it...

:dunno

speaking of drops, you like my new avatar?!
  10. espiritu

espiritu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey all,

Im moving to SoCal in September, and I should have recovered from Shoulder surgery by then. Id like to see if I can do it, though if recovery dosnt go well I may have to re-evaluate
  11. espiritu

espiritu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ps...I speak passible spanish...
  12. hava98

hava98 behind the Orange Curtain

Oddometer:
    I'll be going down to Baja for a few days in November (after the Baja 1000), but I'd try to join you guys too. Can't decide whether I'd take the WeeStrom or the DRZ though.

Are you planning to cross at Tecate and stage out of RSV? :ear
  13. Borracho

Borracho EDDIE WOULD GO

Oddometer:
    I hope so; not that Tecate's any safer to ride through than TJ :D
  14. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    I think if I do this trip Im going to try and pack as minimally as possible. If I can get away with no panniers, I will...
  15. hahmule

hahmule Balding Gloriously

Oddometer:
    Sito sounds like my kind of adventurer! Sure I'll rough it once in a while, but there's no point over doing it, that's what credit cards are for. :1drink

16. Zen Slug

Zen Slug Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    sounds fun! maybe I'll even have a 950 in the stable by then:evil

for some ideas about one possible route check out A larger group than usual in Baja and/or send inte a PM as he leads groups down there a lot!
  17. Borracho

Borracho EDDIE WOULD GO

Oddometer:
    Zen? To replace or add to the Beemer?
  18. Zen Slug

Zen Slug Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Replace, know anybody who wants to buy a well-used f650GS?:evil
  19. eatpasta

Oddometer:

How well used...?
  20. sito

sito Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is were the inspiration for this trip came from. :clap Looks like their is going to be good interest in this trip. Are the dates looking like they are going to stick! Once the dates are set in stone then we need to work on the route and the size of the group.:freaky