Baja Trip Dec 27 to Dec 30 2007

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by sito, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Oni

Oni Ronin

Oddometer:
    Yeah...I wish I knew how to ride......un-slow.

Damn ex slow novice motocrosser. :cry
  2. sito

sito Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's right Dec 2 Gorman! Leaving Monrovia Pasadena area around 7:am meet at the 76 station at the Gorman exit!:clap
  3. imgonnasnap

imgonnasnap Motard wrecker

Oddometer:
    The actual trail that goes from gorman to alamo mountain??

I haven't done that trail in years... since they closed it back in the day!
    I'm not terribly interested in the idea of riding gorman on a weekend--during riding season.. tons and tons of little kids and idiots in an area too small and tight for someone to get hurt..
  4. hahmule

hahmule Balding Gloriously

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting c-dub, I was still prepping for that ride. That notice wasn't posted when I last checked. Gorman is a bit far for me since I have a commitment saturday night. The 24th is thanksgiving weekend, so don't imagine many would show that weekend. How about the first weekend in December? I could stay in a motel the night before and make the ride to Hungry Valley/ Gorman. That would be the weekend of 12-1 and 12-2. Of course, by that time, we're four weeks from the main event. Still, it would be a nice tune up for riders and gear. :ear
  5. C-Dub

C-Dub Clean Air Hog

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, honestly, for me it doesn't matter where or when, as the nature of my business (General Contractor) really makes it tough to make medium term plans. Big plans like the trip itself, no problem as I just tell everybody that no matter what I'm gone. Spur of the moment, no problem as I can usually see one to four days ahead, but more than that, its tough to plan.
    So I'll leave the trip planning to Sito, or whoever, because at my skill level I am always with the fast group. If its doable I can pretty much do it no problem. I can ride the 950 on just about anything except steep, loose gnarley single track that would be tough to clear on a dirtbike. Especially steep uphills, its very easy to get in trouble. Tight switchbcks are a bitch too as its very hard to get a big bike turned around or stopped on a steep downhill switchback. So I would have to get advice from whoever in the group is doing the gnarley thumper parts and knows the routes to keep myself from getting in trouble. I'd rather fly down a nice dirt road than struggle my ass off any day!

That being said, Gorman is local for me so, Y'all decide the schedule!
  6. sector

sector Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This looks like fun, but... It's hard to sort out what a post this big is actually planning. I haven't read all the pages, but it would be nice to know who's going, what the route is, so I can figure out if I could do it on my GS. I'm not that big (female) and ride an F650 GS. Doable?
  7. hahmule

hahmule Balding Gloriously

Oddometer:
    Sector, check page 9. It should be doable on a 650 GS since some are doing the ride on bigger GS's. It's my first trip off road in Baja, but it appears there is plenty of experience riding and navigating Baja Norte in the group. :1drink
  8. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    how about an update in the OP with the shake down ride and the xmas ride info. so we don't have to sift through the multiple pages as the event approaches. I have 3 car garage and plenty of room, 3k sqft, in TJ for a staging area before or recoop area after. Count me soft in so far. Only thing that will keep me away from a trip like this is some emergency @ work.
  9. bourkeco

bourkeco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been out of town (New Orleans) for three months and I think I may be in town over the new year sooooo if you guys will have me, Im in, and I am trying to convince Eatpasta that familey will always be there next year to spend time with:turkish . I will stay in touch

Thanks Sito for bringing up the Idea!!!
  10. bourkeco

bourkeco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If we can make this work with the time frame that would be great....
  11. TwoWheelsGood

TwoWheelsGood Four Wheels Bad

Oddometer:
  12. sito

sito Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are we still doing a ride this coming Sunday? :ear I'm up for it but I think this weekend maybe hard to do with the holiday and all.

I don't care where we go as long as we have a little bit of everything. Gorman, Stoddered Wells , Johnson Valley? Chime in if you have any interest or ideas!
  13. Zen Slug

Zen Slug Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    sito,

when you start quoting yourself you know it's time to check in at the funny farm:loco

:D

i'm going to gorman on the dirtbike this sunday, but was planning to go on the 950 with your group to wherever on december 2nd. i plan to take lots of pictures and see how worn scorpions handle in the sand:evil

did i hear that rider914 was talking about a possible randsburg run as the shakedown ride?:ear
  14. sito

sito Long timer

Oddometer:
    He did mention that but I don't think that there would be enough interest. So far I think this is going to be a bust. I still plan on going sunday I want to get some more sand practice in. This will be my last ride before the trip. After sunday I need to start getting the bike ready so it will be in pieces for the next few weeks.

If people are interested they need to chime in.
  15. C-Dub

C-Dub Clean Air Hog

Oddometer:
    Me thinks I might be inclined to show up Sunday at Gorman with my CR500.
    I don't think I want to take the 950 off road until I put the knobbies on it and I don't plan on doing that until right before the Baja trip. I don't really need to practice on the 950, but I do need to ride off road to get my shitty body in some kind of riding shape. I am currently recovering from pneumonia in my left lung :sick and have had zero exercise for over one month. So I'm feeling like a feeble old man these days:gerg , but the antibiotics are working and I'm starting to get my strength back :gdog
    So lets do some riding boys :ricky
    Hey Sito, what's your itinerary?
  16. sito

sito Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know yet. I think I my bring the 950 & kx250. the 250 needs some run time.
  17. Zen Slug

Zen Slug Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    R U talking about sunday, november 25th or sunday, december 2nd???:ear
  18. C-Dub

C-Dub Clean Air Hog

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  19. sito

sito Long timer

Oddometer:
    12/02/07 next Sunday