Baja Trip Dec 27 to Dec 30 2007

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by sito, Jun 11, 2007.

1. sito

sito Long timer

Oddometer:
    The time has come for people to commit! We need to make some reservations and have an idea of how many people are going. I suck at posting on this site so I'm asking if some one can start a new thread with a way people can sign in. Here is a copy of the most updated info about the trip:

The consensus of the group was to head from Tecate to the Old Mill in San Quintin. From there continue south across to Coco's Corner coming up to San Felipe from the south. Finally heading back to Tecate or TJ the last day.

We can arrange places to stay the night before for those of you who live further north of the border. I can host 4 and I'm sure there are others who can host riders. We can meet on the north side of the border in Tecate and cross as a group.

Some things to remember when you decide to ride in Mexico:
    1. Passports are NOT required when you drive across the border. They are only required when you fly or arrive by ship.
    2. Bring your registration, sometimes they check going south
    3. Mexican insurance is your call. Check your local policy but the Mexican policy will keep you from going to jail... I use http://bajabound.com
    4. DO NOT BRING drugs, guns, or ammo! They use dogs at check points so if you've had stuff in your pockets in the past, the "nose knows." The Mexican authorities will confiscate your bike and gear as well as haul your sorry ass to jail, no questions asked. I personally will write you off at this point since you've been warned and you chose stupidity. I know this sounds harsh but I've seen people bring controlled substances dispite the warnings. I as well you're friends riding with you are not willing to take the risk.
    5. There will most likely be A and B groups who ride in 6 bike teams. Riding with more than 6 gets slow and boring. Each group will have an experienced guide and sweep. Please don't feel like you have to be Johnny Cambell to ride with the group. There will be experience levels from novice to Baja racer. Assess your skills honestly and join a group who have similar abilities. Remember not to ride over your head. I've seen decent riders try to keep up with the rock stars and bite it big during the process. We'll have some A and B routes depending on the rider skills we end up with.
    6. Tools, bring something... These are adventure bikes, I'm sure someone's entire roll away toolbox has been loaded to saddle bags. An extra tube would be a great thing to bring.
    7. Money, US dollars are always acceptable. I plan for 150 USD per day when I ride in Mexico. That's for gas, food, lodging, and beer. It's not as cheap as folk lore would like you to believe.
    8. Phones work in lots of towns. Call your cell provider to ensure you're phone works. I'll have a Sat Phone with me. Others may have them as well.
    I love riding in Mexico. Its the only place in the world you can have this much freedom on a dirt bike. Common sense and respect for the locals has to be the thought of the day when you ride.
  2. Borracho

Borracho EDDIE WOULD GO

Oddometer:
    I've been putting this post off to see if things have changed. They have not.

I'm out due to work concerns over the holiday period. Sorry boys; have fun without me. :cry
  3. sito

sito Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm having some serious concerns about this trip. I'm thinking the timing my not be right for everyone? It maybe to hard to plan around the holidays. Should we move the date? Maybe after January? Maybe we should plan a more local trip in Dec and a Baja trip maybe in April? I just want to throw the idea out and see what happens.

No matter what I still want to do a trip on the Dec Dates. I have the time off from work. Maybe Death Valley?
  4. m0to

m0to Under the Big Hard Sun

Oddometer:
    As I said early on, I'm kinda in a holding pattern. I'm usually the manager on duty around the Holidays. I'll know better in the next two weeks.

(I'm the only guy without a family, so I barter with them for coverage :D)
  5. hahmule

hahmule Balding Gloriously

Oddometer:
    I'm still on for Baja provided we get enough people. I am getting concerned about the increasing reports of banditry particularly near the border. A medium size group of motorcycles is more difficult for them to control and would likely make us less of a target. I certainly would not take a truck across. If less than six are going, I would suggest an alternative venue. :chace
  6. bourkeco

bourkeco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will know tomorrow for shure but 99% in. I am ok if there is 2 people or 20 people.

Lets do this.....
  7. bourkeco

bourkeco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let Sito know.....
  8. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    likewise, 2 or 20, i'm still a soft in, but i want to make this trip.
  9. hahmule

Oddometer:
    I'm in for Baja provided we take some common sense precauations like staying off the freeway just south of TJ. There was plenty of bad news from riders and crews coming back from the B1K. It's mostly trucks and toy haulers getting hit, but one lone racer had a knife to his throat while taking a whiz. Pit operators say it's never been worse and a lot more complaints went back to SCORE this year. It's not my intent to scare anyone, nor put a damper on the trip, but there is a real security concern here. My sense is it would only be an issue if we ignore it, do nothing, and walk right into it.

Assuming common sense prevails, I'm definately in for Baja. With respect to this Sunday, I must have lost track of the post. I doubt I will have pet sitters and a motel lined up in time. I've been throwing some sand around locally so the deep stuff won't such a surprise.
  10. sito

sito Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not seeing a strong interest:(: I think I'm going to try this trip again in April. To much shit going on during the holidays and not enough people willing to commit. I think we should try to set up a more local ride on this side of the border. I have never been to Death Valley and this maybe a good time to go. :evil
  11. imgonnasnap

imgonnasnap Motard wrecker

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I am pretty much out. started a new job today, so i wont really have the vacation time to take off for this trip.. unfortunately (or fortunately, depending how you look at it) i will be too booked up with many other trips to be able to do this one soon.. for example, May will be one BUSY month... first weekend michigan, second weekend-driving to moab-there for a week-third weekend driving back, forth weekend flying to texas.. :huh
  12. C-Dub

C-Dub Clean Air Hog

Oddometer:
    I am willing to commit, but it seems like this whole thing is falling apart, so I guess I'll just sit back and see what happens.:dunno
  13. hahmule

Oddometer:
    I still have the time off request in affect. Figure if this ride doesn't materialize, I'll head east on my Tiger for a few days maybe take in part of AZ. Devils hwy maybe. :D
  14. TwoWheelsGood

TwoWheelsGood Four Wheels Bad

Oddometer:
    I still have this active (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285321)
    though I haven't had time to plan it out yet. Will likely be shorter, 28th to 31st but I'd still like to go, am looking for company.

My only requests are that we do more dirt, less pavement, and if we do hop on pavement we do our best to not make it a 300+ mile slab back to the border. And you'll wait for me on my Husky...oh, if you could carry all my shit too, that'd be great! :deal.

If there are people who are still in, I'm willing to consolidate the threads (this on and my dirt bike thread) and take over the planning. However, my major constraint is that I can't be wheels up until AM of the 28th. I have hard holiday travel committments that I can't change. Much more flexible on the backend.
  15. hahmule

Oddometer:
    It would seem there at least four possibly five, including myself who would make the trip from this board plus some others on smaller dirt bikes. Mine's a TE 610. With me riding it, it will handle the sand but doesn't turn as tight as the smaller bikes, no prob keeping up with the bigger bikes though. Will go if it's still in the works, but we need to decide PDQ. Alternative plans are forming.
  16. TwoWheelsGood

Oddometer:
    I'm in, I'm going, Dec 28-31, hopefully others will join me. I'll start another thread and take the reins on this.
  17. hahmule

Oddometer:
    Don't want to hold anyone up, I'm a bit slow for A riders, and have no experience navigating off road in Baja.
  18. TwoWheelsGood

Oddometer:
    I'm out. Overheating issue with my bike and will either:

1. Call it a day and basically store the bike. Can't really ride much after January anyway, Baja was going to be my last "ride" before end of June.
    2. Fix the bike and go down with some guys from Texas.

Next year I want to do this trip proper, will have a 950, etc.
  19. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    i'm still 99% on a baja trip, barring emergencies at the office. who's still in here? PM me if you wanna, i'll keep the trip alive
  20. hahmule

Oddometer:
    It's to late for me to change my days off, so I'm still in. I want to be candid about experience, I'm a beginner on dirt with good basic skills, I took some classes, and rode with some experienced riders at Big Bear Trail riders and learned a lot, but I'm still a bit slow for most 450 riders. I have no trouble keeping up with the bigger bikes. Secondly, I have been to Baja but only on pavement, I would be of little help in terms of navigation while out in the boonies.

If you can still use my participation, let me know, soonest. Thanks.