Baja Trip Dec 27 to Dec 30 2007

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by sito, Jun 11, 2007.

1. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    i'm not a dirt rider by trade either, np says me.
  2. C-Dub

C-Dub Clean Air Hog

Oddometer:
    I'm still willing to go, I think. I'm an expert rider on and off road, but a crummy navigator and I don't know my way around Baja too well except for the main highways. I do have a GPS though, but unless I download some tracks into it, its useless. I would like to be able to rely on someone who knows where he is going and can actually ride at a reasonable pace. Not that I have a problem riding with slow guys, since I/we can always wait at junctions, but I just like to ride with fast guys because its a lot more fun than poking along with a slow navigator:ddog .

Anyways I'm still into it, I think.:lurk
  3. hahmule

hahmule Balding Gloriously

Oddometer:
    Have GPS, but I'm new with it too. Maybe someone here can help out with some tracks? :nod
  4. hahmule

Oddometer:
    I should add that my days off are from 12-26/12-30. I can probably arrange to have new years day off too, if it helps the cause. Start thinkning about which days are the best to go. If we don't ride all the above days. I can probably use some of the time off to research some GPS routes.
  5. Borracho

Borracho EDDIE WOULD GO

Oddometer:
  6. C-Dub

C-Dub Clean Air Hog

Oddometer:
    Hello Borracho and guys, I have a Zumo 550. I checked out the GPS West thread and found a link http://www.lbmaps.com/baja_exp_.htm to get the Baja maps for about $100.00 I think I'll just buy that as it has auto routing and I guess one is pretty safe with that as I suppose you would have to be an idiot to get lost with it, right?

I'm just hoping that nothing pops up to keep me from going. I have bid on a lot of projects lately and just might end up with something I can't step away from, but that is not a probability, so I should be able to make it guys. I just hope it doesn't rain the whole time.
  7. beechum1

Oddometer:
    sounds like a plan. looking good so far, i'm assuming we're going to want to travel light and do hotels?
  8. hahmule

Oddometer:
    I'm not big on the camping thing, particularly after riding in dirt. It's only a few days so motels get my vote. cell phones and some cheap radios would allow C-cub to charge down some side trails and still keep in contact. :1drink
  9. Borracho

Borracho EDDIE WOULD GO

Oddometer:
    Hey C-Dub; that's the mapset I have. Really works great down there; you should be fine.

You boys have fun and be careful. Don't forget a Ride Report for us losers hanging behind :D

PS; check out this link for some coords:

http://bajagps.com/
  10. beechum1

Oddometer:
    i have a nextel, cell phone that works in MX, and some FPS band radios... FPS.. is that right?? what's that called..... any case.....
  11. C-Dub

C-Dub Clean Air Hog

Oddometer:
    Thanks Brother!
  12. hahmule

Oddometer:
    We're going to need to firm up some plans soon. Departure and return dates for example. If route is set on GPS, I would appreciate a copy. I will likely need some time to load it into my Garmin V as GPS is new to me. It seems some firm decisions need to be made to keep this thing alive. Let me know if I can help.
  13. C-Dub

C-Dub Clean Air Hog

Oddometer:
    Like I said before, I don't really know Baja very well, but I will buy the GPS maps and am not afraid to wander around, I might even pack camping gear. I don't think I want to be responsible for the itinerary.

I'm sure we'd all be fine if we just set up a meeting place, looked at a map then just decided where we want to go day by day.

Just saying.
  14. beechum1

Oddometer:
    i'm with cdub... nothing wrong with not having a next minute plan... especially down there... there's not alot of trouble to get into if we plan the routes correctly. I have a 3 car garage, a few tools, and plenty of space to sleep, one extra bed, no heat in the house though, also, we have a factory with fenced in back area for the cars to store while we're out playing. I'm in TJ, and about 10 miles from a dirt trail that goes down passed rosarito, down to about cantamar and further i'm sure.

i can anticipate the hesitance already in leaving your vehicles down here, especially not knowing me, and a no won't hurt my feelings.
  15. hahmule

Oddometer:
    Sounds good to me. So are the ride dates still the 27th to the 30th as on the thread title? Start point at Beechams?
  16. beechum1

Oddometer:
    i should mention to be thorough, that both my house and shop are in TJ.....
  17. STate

STate Boot

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,
    totally new to the site and am very overwhelmed with all the great threads to read. My buddy Scott and I will be taking a trip to baja the 28-31 of Dec. This will be our first trip out of country on our bikes. Was reading this thread and thought your itenerary looked pretty good. My buddy and I both have KTM Adv.s His is a new 990 and mine a 950. We live here in North San Diego County and have only done a long weekend trip through Clevland Natl and San Berd. Natl forest. Good trip, stayed in hotel and crashed on a buddies floor in Big Bear. As this is our first trip into Mex. on bikes my dad is driving out from Tex. to be our "chase vehicle". We'll have him carry our tents, bags, tools, and extra fuel. We were going to cruise down to Ensanada and camp on the beach. I have been doing lots of reading on trips people have taken, and since it will be just a long weekend trip, not to worried about details. Just want to cruise and take it easy. Any suggestions would be great!! Like places to see and to stay away from and I sure would like to meet up with some of you guys for some more local rides around SoCal. Sorry for the long post.
    Thanks,
    Scott Tate
  18. hahmule

Oddometer:
    Cool! Welcome aboard!
  19. beechum1

Oddometer:
    let's call it the 28-31 as well. stage @ my place on the 27th. I can give directions, guide, GPS, whatever you want to my place. I have secured my garage doors tonight with locks. we can also use it as a staging for the final day if desired. I've IM's cdub to get some mapas together and some routes and stopping points.
  20. C-Dub

C-Dub Clean Air Hog

Oddometer:
    I'm still not 100% in. I have a few projects I'm trying to wrap up and a couple I'm bidding on that might get in the way, but I doubt it. I think I'll probably make the ride, but I don't want anybody to count on me to be a leader. I will just wait and see what happens, I may have to chase you guys down.