Baja Trip Plan - April 2020

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Wesley J, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Wesley J

Wesley J Hoser

Oddometer:
    Good Day Gents,

A friend and I are in the initial phases of planning a trip to Baja in April. I've been reading a bunch of threads here but they tend to be big bike centric. This time we decided to take the dirt bikes.

The current high level plan looks like this:
    • ride the bikes across the boarder at Tecate
    • spend 7 days total time in Mexico. We have decent range (for dirt bikes)
    • we're intermediate+ riders and move relatively quickly
    • Unsupported, need to get fuel in the desert
    • Traveling light, staying at hotels
    • Considering trying to ride south for 6 days and then get towed north to the border - does anyone know of such a service
    • 2 stroke dirt bikes. Any comments on oil availability?
    I'd love to hear suggestions on areas that would be fun riding and nice places to stay, preferably on the beach as much as possible.

Thanks in advance,

Wes
  2. Fivefixedtwo

Fivefixedtwo n00b

Oddometer:
    Following. A friend and I are also trying to do a trip around the same time. Are you guys going to be doing mostly road? Single track?
    We have kind of the same plan with packing minimally and staying in hotels. Maybe we can share some ideas or potentially meet up.

cheers
    -Rob
  3. Wesley J

Wesley J Hoser

Oddometer:
    Hey Rob,

As much off road/single track as possible. We're all riding the same bike (KTM 300 XCW's) so that will make the spares list a lot easier to divy up.

Cheers,

Wes
  4. Fivefixedtwo

Fivefixedtwo n00b

Oddometer:
  5. Jkils

Jkils Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll give some ideas to start.

Day 1 Tecate Single Track - Depending how much time you want to spend riding single track vs making miles, you can be in single track within 10 minutes of crossing the border and spend all day there. A good compromise would be to hit the single track from Tecate to Rancho Santa Veronica, get low grade jug gas at the mini-market as needed and beer and tacos as needed as RSV. Head to the Compadre highway and make your way to Ramona's, i.e. the Sawmill, i.e. Laguna Hansen. There is a mix single track and fire road options to get there off the Compadre hwy. Get gas at Ramona's and beers and burritos as needed. There is more single track in the area if you want to do more exploring. From here you can head Valle de Trinidad for a cheap stay, up the hill to Mikes Sky Ranch or if you guys were moving fast you can make it to Meling Ranch or El Coyote. There is more S/T in the El Coyote Area but I do not have first hand experience of it.

The next area I would head is the El Rosario. Lots of single track in the area, supposedly one of the owner's of Mama Espinoza's (son, grandson?) is a rider and knows all the trails in the area and is helpful.

2-stroke oil will be tough to find south of Ensenada but maybe not impossibe. If found it will probably be low grade scooter oil. To give you some ideas and see what not to do in Baja you can check out my trip report here.

https://www.actionathletesupply.com/blogs/action-athlete-blog/what-not-to-do-in-baja-day-1
  6. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you can at all help it, stay away from San Felipe, B of LA etc on the week leading up to Easter
    Every Mexican wants to spend Easter on the beach
    Wesley J likes this.
  7. Fivefixedtwo

Fivefixedtwo n00b

Oddometer:
    Good to know.....
  8. Wesley J

Wesley J Hoser

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great info guys. The Christmas season has kept us apart and planning has fallen by the wayside. All the research I've done so far agrees with your wisdom Jkils, thanks!
    Vicresendez likes this.
  9. Vicresendez

Vicresendez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello from San Diego, do you have the dates figured out ? Myself and about 5 friends are leaving the latter part of April for a Baja trip, we haven't figured out exact dates yet.
    We are going on a warm up 2 day trip next week Jan 12-13 we are going to cross the border in Tácate on our dualsports and basically like it was mentioned above head south, some single and mostly fire roads that can be kinda technical at times. Our end point will be Sunday night at Coyote Cals, your invited or if someone wants to join us ! I've made reservations if you need help and wanna join us, PM me
  10. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your most convenient option for 2 stroke oil will be marine oil as there are still a few fishermen using 2 stroke outboards. Otherwise carry your own if you have any particular preference.
  11. Wesley J

Wesley J Hoser

Oddometer:
    We're going to be down there around that time, although our route is still undecided. We should be at Hacienda Veronica on the evening of the 5th if all goes according to plan.

Great point! Thanks. I've done calculation based on 25 mpg and I should need somewhere around 2L based on the time we have. So, I'll be carrying 3L and hoping for the best!
  12. Wesley J

Wesley J Hoser

Oddometer:
    Bike Prep

In case anyone is interested, bike prep is coming along well. We're relatively experienced ADV riders and ride 90% back country single track without cell service so we tend to be quite prepared but Baja is new to us. So, based on some feedback from inmates, prep is looking like this so far:

Fuel:
    • Acerbis 6.6 gallon supertanker. Not looking forward to filling this thing up on my nice light little cheater bike, lol
    • 3.0 L of 2 stroke oil (~1200 miles)
    • TwinAir fuel tank pre-filter
    • Octane boost??? - does anyone carry?
    • Giant Loop 1 Ggallon fuel bladder (Won it at KTM ADV rally!) as a backup
    Tires:
    • Kenda Parker DT tires both ends
    • Tubliss both ends
    • Spare tubliss tubes
    • Spare conventional tubes and little motion pro rimlocks
    • Lube (needed with tubliss)
    Bike Prep etc:
    • Fresh wheel bearings
    • Fresh chain/sprockets/countershaft seal
    • Fresh engine ice coolant
    • LED bulb in stock headlight. Runs on AC, nice.
    • Finally spring the bike properly for me... I'm 210 ish so with full gear likely 260lbs
    • Fresh brakes (rotors and pads recently)
    • Giant Loop Mojavi
    • Giant Loop Diablo (GL replaced it for free at KTM ADV Rally in Breckenridge due to faulty zipper)
    I'll post up what we're doing for tools, Nav, first aid and shared items and look farward to feedback.

Cheers,

Wes
  13. Wesley J

Wesley J Hoser

Oddometer:
    Shared Items

Bike Spares (some split across all 3 of us as we're riding '9, '10 and '12 KTM 300 XCW's)

• Levers (brake, clutch, shifter, brake)
    • Front Tube
    • Rear Tube
    • Brake Pads
    • Throttle Cable
    • Brake/clutch fluid (DOT4)
    • Fuel Hose
    • Rad hose and clamps
    • Rad Cap
    • Chain Link
    • Spark Plug
    Tools and such:
    • Tire Pump
    • Tire Repair (plugs/patches)
    • Air Compressor (Motopumps - they replaced it for free after I crashed the 1190R, melted my bag and compressor etc - pic below). Good for filling the tubliss tube (~100 psi)
    • GPS
    • Spot/Garmin
    • Tow Rope
    • Tire Irons
    • Plug wrench
    • Adjustable wrench
    • Bolt Kit
    • Condoms - extra small for Flanders

Dammit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Vicresendez likes this.
  14. Wesley J

Wesley J Hoser

Oddometer:
    First Aid Kit

We've put this to pretty good use over the years and I had to resupply it after our last Utah trip when I broke my arm in Moab. Funny, I had no issues on the 1190R on slickrock trail but I somehow rode off the side of a the doubletrack on mountain pass south of Moab on the BDR... Idiot.

I wont itemize it but its pretty good. Any additions for cactus related injuries? Probably some needle nose (small leatherman should work) and tweezers?

Anyway, this is what the firstaid kit looks like:

[​IMG]
  15. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was

Oddometer:
    What do you have for maps/GPS?

Consider the E32 maps on at least one machine.

Edit: Yes, pocket tool pliers for thorn removal, tweezers for the small hairy itchy stuff.
    Maybe a bee sting stick, although I have never used mine.

Space blanket or similar for shade during tire/tube work in the desert sun. Shade usually not available when bike tires go flat!

Gorilla tape.
    ScottMalv and Wesley J like this.
  16. Wesley J

Wesley J Hoser

Oddometer:
    I was going to add a GPS post for some feedback.

We are planning E32, Baja GPS Guide, Garmin Mexico Topo and my personal favorite Locus. Fugawi went tits up and Baja GPS Guide wont respond to our emails so that's out.

We bought E32 plus an additional license, all of us have Locus and I think all of us will be running Garmin as a backup. Paper copies of the Nat Geo maps (I know, mostly useless). Our current plan will look like this:

Wes:
    • Locus with Mexico map
    • Garmin with E32 as well as Garmin Mexico Topo
    Jake:
    • Garmin with E32 as well as Garmin Mexico Topo
    • Locus with Mexico map
    Flanders:
    • 1987 Paper road map of southern California with 15 miles of the top of Mexico
    • Apple 4 with apple maps and no cell coverage
    • He wont likely even know we're in Mexico
    Any additional thoughts/recommendations?

Cheers,

Wes
    Vicresendez likes this.
  17. CalgaryKatoom

CalgaryKatoom Big and loud, just like my 1190

Oddometer:
    I think you missed that the 1987 paper interstate map is pre-marked routes from a family road adventure to Wally World. Likely also packing a fully functional sun dial.
    Wesley J and Motorius like this.
  18. CalgaryKatoom

CalgaryKatoom Big and loud, just like my 1190

Oddometer:
    I just re-upped my field sucture kit as well, so Ill be bringing that with. Also have a few variants of quick clot in the old tickle trunk.
    Motorius likes this.
  19. PVMotos

PVMotos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey we are heading to baja April 19th. But oposite direction.
    We live in vallarta truck dual sports to Mazatlan and ferry over arrive in La Paz 20th. Then plan is go north to Ensenada.
    I was recently recommended by 30 yr veteran old Freind from when I had Supercycle in California to do baja sur this trip and baja Norte next.
    Starting the planing and route layout, looking for preferably to 80% dirt. Slugging blacktop not fun on these bikes.
    Any route ideas greatly appreciated.
  20. fastfreddy1969

fastfreddy1969 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Weather warming up starting today Feb 12..I live in Pescadero south of Todos Santos on a surf beach.Mesaage me if your gona be around.
    Wesley J likes this.