Bakery Quest - a year hacking the US with our kid and dogs.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by szurszewski, Oct 16, 2016.

1. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMG_1142.JPG I want to do a post or two on the Bay Area, but so as not to be too far behind, here are some shots from Death Valley and the surroundings where we were the last couple of days.

We are in Vegas tonight hoping to buy a new helmet for me and a dust/bearing cap for the trailer tomorrow. After that we are headed for the Grand Canyon. Any suggestions on where to go/camp/gawk there or along the way there from here?
    IMG_1124.JPG IMG_1148.JPG IMG_1151.JPG
  2. uintamts

uintamts Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am in to follow your adventure. Thanks for sharing.
    In some very small Texas Hill Country towns there are combination pizza parlors / bakery's. One family runs the bakery in the morning and another operates the pizza parlor. They split the rent, equipment and opperational expenses of the building. Other than that they are stand alone businesses. Some only operate on weekends when tourist come and go. These businesses have fascinated me. This could be a good way to augment your income in a seasonal tourist location.
    smuts.g, noshoes and szurszewski like this.
  3. Foiler

Foiler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yes I am Foiler on all forums. go to the North Rim of the Canyon, much more secluded and quiet.
    Foot dragger and szurszewski like this.
  4. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestion! We had actually arranged to purchase a bakery in a town of about 15,000 a couple of years ago - in the end the seller had to back out (like the day we were to close! Argh! Er - ah hem - sorry for that outburst...). Pizza and other such things in the evenings was something we talked about to better utilize the space and serve the community, BUT I had not considered having someone else do that work. Very cool.
    SmittyBlackstone and uintamts like this.
  5. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    A few snaps from San Francisco. Laura wanted to do EVERYTHING but since we didn't get there until noon we narrowed it down to Tartine for lunch bread and pastries, - drive through Chinatown, a walk along the uber touristy wharf area, a walk over the hill to union square and a trolley ride back capped off with another walk and ghiradelli hit chocolates. Other than parking, potholes and big hills really working my clutch skills it was great.

I will say I was very happy to have upgraded to stainless brake lines the night before. Well, that morning really - I didn't finish up until 0330 (which is why we didn't get to the city until noon!).

IMG_1080.JPG IMG_1050.JPG IMG_1056.JPG IMG_1045.JPG
  6. PapaDontPreach

PapaDontPreach Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The North Rim is really quiet this time of year. The lodging, restaurants and shops on the North Rim of the park have closed for the winter as of October 15th. The Visitors center and campground close on October 31st. In November the North Rim is "Day Use only" and they usually lock the gate for the season, at Jacob Lake, on December 1st. Not a bad time of year to visit but I'd hate to see someone travel all that way to see it, just to find "Walley World" closed.
    noshoes and Foiler like this.
  7. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, we ended up at the south rim after all.

Vegas was Vegas. Laura and Jeremiah walked the strip

IMG_1246.JPG

While I shopped for a new helmet (broke the chinbar latch in Death Valley and found it's very hard to get in/out of that helmet without opening it) and moved my Sena over
    IMG_1169.JPG

And then we had some burgers, dogs and shakes at the Smashburger (really quite good) in Henderson on our way to: IMG_1179.JPG

We stuck around long enough to teach Jeremiah how to make a bunch of "dam" jokes, and to see the sunset before heading toward Kingman Arizona.
    IMG_1193.JPG
  8. MountainsandRivers

MountainsandRivers loves dirty things!

Oddometer:
    Vitos in Kingman has surprisingly good Italian food, doesn't look like much from outside.
    When/where are you going to be in Colorado?
  9. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    See, that's the problem with us and travel (Laura and me, I mean) - we just go too fast, which is why all we saw of Kingman was our motel, and we missed all the potential coolness like Vito's. In fact, other than sheer awesomeness, making us go slower and interact more with the environment and people around us was a huge factor in doing this trip on a sidecar rig instead of in something infinitely more practical and economical like an old minivan. We will get better at going slow. We will!

That said, over dinner tonight we were talking about speeding things up a bit so we could get to Denver early enough to rent a car and do a quick 800 mile round trip just to see Mount Rushmore. Damn. Maybe we won't get better. Maybe we need counseling.

And that brings us to an answer for your question. Laura needs to be at DEN by six am on the 6th. Jeremiah said today he wants to go to four corners (he also wants to hike to the floor of the Grand Canyon, but fortunately we have the dogs as an excuse for not doing that this trip rather than having to fess up to being too squishy and out of shape), so tomorrow we will probably head that direction. After that we will be working our way toward Denver with no real plan. If you have route or other suggestions we would very much love to hear them!

After the 6th, Jeremiah and i will head south east toward Oklahoma where we will meet Laura again in time for Jeremiah's birthday on the 13th. Suggestions also of course welcome for that journey.
    Thanks!
    josh
  10. MountainsandRivers

Oddometer:
    Pay attention to weather. High passes can be chilly, occasionally snowy this time of year. If you are going to be in four corners, hit me up with a PM. I live nearby in Telluride. Might be able to offer a room, depending on when you come through.
    Foiler likes this.
  11. cstrike

cstrike n00b

Oddometer:
    Well, while you are here you might as well check out Flagstaff. There are a couple of bakeries in town although I have no idea how competitive of an environment it is. Our population of locals is very passionate about supporting high quality locally owned eateries and we are a big tourist town as well.
    Foiler likes this.
  12. MountainsandRivers

Oddometer:
    As far as routes, if you are in 4 corners, you have a few choices. Forgive me, I don't have all the road #s memorized. You could backtrack just a bit and run north to Moab on 191 (?) then follow the river road north (128?) to Cisco then pickup I-70 and head to Denver.
    Or from the four corners, go up to Cortez and take hwy 145 north to Telluride and down to Placerville. Take a left and run through Norwood, Naturita and to Whitewater. Beautiful road, and some great canyons. Keeps you a little lower. From Whitewater fastest way is shoot to I70, or you could backtrack to Delta and head to Crawford to hwy 92 to Hwy 50 by Blue Mesa Reservoir. Then 50 through Gunnison to Poncha Springs, left on 285 to Denver.
    The other choice, most scenic, but highest, coldest and most passes would be from Cortez take 160 to Durango then north on 550 over the Million Dollar Highway through Ouray to Montrose, Then hwy 50 towards Denver as described earlier.
    If you do go through Durango, they have the Discovery Center in the old steamplant. Great place for the kid to be entertained. Solar legos, lots of mechanical things, 3D printers, etc. Whenever we go to Durango, that is a mandatory stop, along with the Rec Center. The train museum is pretty cool too!
    Keep in mind the actual 4 corners site is like $10 per head to enter to stand on the exact spot.
    Passing through Kayenta, stop at the Burger King. Inside and in the kivas just outside, they have a very informative display about the Codetalkers, which were the Navajo who helped in WWII because the enemy couldn't decipher their code
    Foiler likes this.
  13. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't get quotes to load right now for some reason...but:

cstrike:

Again, that's our moving too fast problem - partly brought about by outside forces I suppose, and partly brought on by a "need" to see some northern stuff before it gets too cold. Mostly though, it's us. If the weather allows, we might be as far north as Flagstaff the later part of November on our way to SoCal (and then, if we're lucky and feeling really adventurous, maybe a bit of Mexico). I've been THROUGH Flagstaff a couple of times and would definitely like to see more of it.

MountainsandRivers:

Sent you a PM re possible Telluride time table. :)

Thanks very much for the route info. I had wanted to do 50 across Nevada but then there was this canyon thing some people I know wanted to see.. So that sounds pretty appealing - especially vs 70. We can run interstates, and will vs a dark possibly deer laden road for the end of day, but they're just not much fun.

The discovery center sounds like our kind of place - we'll keep it on the suggested stops list in case we go through Durango.

I checked the website last night for Four Corners entry - it says $5 per person ages six or maybe it was seven and up. Not horrible I guess. We did skip the Skywalk, cool as it probably is, because of the price, but I think we can manage $15 without feeling too silly. (Still not sure if I'm going to pony up this trip for the Empire State in NYC - skipped it a few times now because of the $$...but I REALLY want to go up for some reason...).

Burger King? Really? Or weird autocorrect? Have to check that out...
    josh
  14. MountainsandRivers

Oddometer:
    Yes, Burger King.
  15. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    Four corners, IMHO, is a waste of time. If you haven't, you should seriously consider Zion and Bryce and maybe Valley of the Gods, Natural Bridges.
    Northstar Beemer and OZ BEN like this.
  16. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1
  17. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, yes - understood and essentially agreed ... BUT ... Jeremiah figured out it existed a day or so ago and really wants to go. Almost all the time he's just along for the ride wherever we plan (or don't plan) to go, so when he wants to do something we try to do it. So, we missed it today, but are spending the night in Cortez and will go tomorrow morning. :)
    steved57, noshoes and Foiler like this.
  18. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    quote----We stuck around long enough to teach Jeremiah how to make a bunch of "dam" jokes

What did the fish say when it ran into the wall? DAM :imaposer
    Combatscoot likes this.
  19. Heyload

Heyload Bent but not broken Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why Altus, OK?

My ex-wife's family used to have a bakery there, Ragsdale's Bakery down near the town square. Long since closed, but the town restored the storefront.
  20. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised you are the first to ask. The short version is we are meeting Laura's mom there to celebrate Jeremiah's birthday. And we are meeting there because said mom is moving her stuff there, from Portland, to store with friends while she also does some traveling.