Bakery Quest - a year hacking the US with our kid and dogs.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by szurszewski, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Dirt1st

Dirt1st Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wish Jeremiah a happy birthday a day late from Linda and me. Glad to hear the everyone is back together again.
  2. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    He says thank you! Nothing too exciting for his birthday but we had a good time. I'll get some pictures up here in a day or two when we figure out when and where we're going next.
  3. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    We are leaving Altus today heading toward Santa Fe to spend thanksgiving with some family and friends.

Proper start to our last morning here:

IMG_1609.JPG

(For those who can't make it out, that's Donuts and Fried Rice at sunrise.)

I'll be loading the frosty rig while everyone else goes to church.

IMG_1613.JPG
    SmittyBlackstone, uintamts and Nixels like this.
  4. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was just about to put in a little update on our two days between Altus and Santa Fe when I realized I'd not put up anything from actual Altus. Could be because we spent a LOT of time lazing about, but we did emerge from the house occasionally. So, what did we do there? Well, Jeremiah and I arrived a day ahead of Laura and quickly settled in to stay with some of Laura's mom's friends from back in her Air Force days. Culprit made herself right at home immediately.
    IMG_1489.jpg

Laura and her mom, Pat, arrived the next day, and then it was Jeremiah's birthday. We celebrated in the traditional Oklahoma fashion with minigolf and a hibachi dinner.

IMG_1495.jpg IMG_1509.jpg

oh, and there were some presents.

IMG_1515.jpg
    ...his grandmother brought him a pillow of all things, because if there's one thing we had too much of it was extra space in the rig....sigh.

We did some other stuff there too, like move a Uhaul's worth of stuff into Pat's storage unit, check out some local parks, bowling, roller skating, lots and lots of eating, and then it was time to pack it up and head west. Wait, what?
    Nixels likes this.
  5. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    As always, a bit daunting to try to fit it all in....
    IMG_1623.jpg
    but I did have some help this time.
    IMG_1618.jpg
    Finally loaded, we had a pleasant day riding to Clovis - we were expecting a high around 60 and dressed accordingly...and then all of a sudden it was in the low 80s! We stopped to strip down and check out some of the cotton we'd been riding through all day - I found out later that Jeremiah thought it was snow drifting across the road (apparently he wasn't as warm as I was)
    IMG_1631.jpg
    Clovis was nice and we got there early enough to have a surprisingly good Thai dinner and catch the evening showing of Magical Beasts and Where to Find Them.

Because I know you want to see it, here's the sunrise from our bathroom at the Motel 6 the next morning.
    IMG_1635.jpg
    DRONE and Nixels like this.
  6. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not a whole lot of exciting on the way from Clovis to Santa Fe, but it was nice and chilly most of the day. We stopped just shy of Encino to fill the tank and found what might have been our first line for fuel. Not only was it a line, but it was a slow line and windy and cold to boot. IMG_1638.jpg

When I finally got up to the pump, I found the "Enter" key on the keypad - maybe that was something to do with the line. On the plus side, someone had left a little snack for me at the pump.
    IMG_1641.jpg

Laura and Jeremiah decided waiting in line for gas was less fun than they'd like to be having so they walked across the highway for cocoa. They were nice enough to order one for me (which was almost cold by the time I got there) and leave me a few bites of cinnamon roll to boot.
    IMG_1644.jpg

The diner was pretty cute, so I stopped on the way out to get a pic - this is Laura asking why we've just stopped and where was I going? She'd probably like me to point out that she's not quite so Michelin-man shaped and is just wearing a LOT of layers. Like, ALL of her layers, actually.
    IMG_1645.jpg
    Nixels likes this.
  7. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...and now we're in Santa Fe.

Remember when I said it was a bit brisk on the way here Sunday? After arriving we did some errands on foot and got soaked in a nice rain shower, and then came out of dinner to find this in the parking lot

IMG_1655.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving!
  8. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Other than that refreshing walk in the rain our first night, and walking back and forth the six blocks between our pet-friendly accommodations and the place our family and friends are staying, we haven't really be in IN Santa Fe much, so we're thinking of spending one more night (tomorrow) here to do some in-town stuff.

We did go up to Bandelier National Monument which was an excellent trip - we got to climb on stuff,

IMG_1708.jpg

gaze out the windows of snug old cliff dwellings
    IMG_1690.jpg

and Jeremiah completed another set of Junior Ranger activities, earning another badge. He finished up the requirements just as the visitor center was closing, and the Ranger invited Jeremiah to help take down the flag - pretty cool.

IMG_1713.jpg

Best part of the day though? Jeremiah didn't get violently ill in the back of our friend's rental car. Riding up to Bandolier and back on the bike, I didn't even think to appreciate how nice it was to not spend an hour scooping, scrubbing and vacuuming vomit out of a rental car, but since I did get to enjoy that activity on the way to Taos the next day, I'll try to appreciate all the days I don't have to do so in the future. Oddly, I didn't get any pictures of said event, but I did get a picture at the Taos Pueblo of what may be the most contented dog in the history of canine domestication

IMG_1718.jpg

Having already started in on the baking and eating required of us today, we're thinking the Georgia O'Keefe Museum and such tomorrow - mabye finally get around to picking up a new battery for the rig as well - and then heading out early on Saturday. Trying to decide if we're going to Roswell or maybe all the way down to Alamogordo - any route suggestions or other thoughts on heading south from here are welcome!
  9. durtwurm

durtwurm Talented Amateur

Oddometer:
    I lived in Taos for about 20 years. I enjoy the New Mexico photos very much. Safe travels and keep posting!
  10. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks - Taos was interesting, but I think we would have liked it more twenty or more years ago; the area is beautiful but boy was it crowded!

For some reason I haven't been taking many pics the last couple of weeks - have to see what I can do about that - but in any case the posts will continue :)
    Pdough, durtwurm and Nixels like this.
  11. mac of pac

mac of pac n00b

Oddometer:
    Not in sequence, but just curious. I have the same rig and sidecar and was wondering what tire you fitted to the front. I have been considering the rear TKC 60 that I bought for my R1200GS as it is the same size, but was wondering about clearances as you learned. What tire are you using.
  12. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey mac of pac - if you've got a pic of your rig we'd love to see it - please do not hesitate to sidetrack the thread!

Here is the tire
    http://www.revzilla.com/product/bridgestone-battlax-bt45-sport-touring-tire

The one on there is 130/80-17 and it fits the metal parts but not inside the plastics - i think a 130/70-17 would fit without any modifications. I am very happy with the tire so far and think we have close to 5k miles on it - I can't see ANY wear and the rig feels much better in general and especially cornering.
  13. durtwurm

durtwurm Talented Amateur

Oddometer:
    It's been twenty years since I lived there and I have heard it is more crowded. Unfortunately places can be ruined when they get "discovered". Park City, Utah where I live a great deal of my time is going that way.
  14. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    We were part of the horde that turned Portland from what it was to what it is now, but I swear we had no idea it was "hip" when we moved there ten years ago - it just happened to be the one place on the short list of places Laura wanted to go to school that I liked to hang out when I was in high school.
    durtwurm likes this.
  15. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    HA! :smooch
  16. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the trouble, right? We talked about this a lot - particularly with my dad - while we were in Santa Fe. We are looking for some place to live and work, and they are looking for some place to retire. We both want to move though we both liked where we were (they might well have moved to Portland if we'd stayed, and now they might well stay in Olympia and just move from there large home outside of town into a condo downtown). My dad keeps saying - but you're leaving just about the coolest city in the country!

I guess the idea is to find somewhere worth living that's not quite awesome enough to be drawing in the masses (or to get there first and then move on at a profit when the masses arrive), but still has some of the cool things you like (whatever those are) and enough of an economy to make a living (in our case at least - easier if you are retired and don't have to worry about that)...how one does that I'm not sure. As for Portland, it's definitely not as much the kind of place I'd like to be now as it was when we moved there - way too many condos for my taste - and I'm sure someone who moved there ten years before us would say the same about the Portland we moved to. I can't remember who said this, but it was in reference to Key West and Jimmy Buffet and Ernest Hemmingway, and the gist was that they both liked it so much because, when they lived there, they had more money that most of the rest of the population.
  17. Cromoth

Cromoth fan of the magic carpet ride

Oddometer:
    Enjoying the words & pictures immensely.
    Just an idea: see if your camera has a way to take pictures automatically, like every 60 seconds. It's like playing the picture lottery. Of course, there's plenty to delete.
    Alternatively, record video & grab a picture from it. Caught a black bear running across the road that way.
    There are action cameras (Drift Ghost?, $100) that record a loop of video. If nothing happens, the old footage gets overwritten by new. If something happens, select save that 90 seconds.
    Regardless, I always wish I had recorded more. Now if someone takes our picture, I ask for a copy.
    Happy Trails!
  18. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks - glad to hear you're enjoying it!

I've got a Sena 10c that should be able to do that, but for some reason having the camera on kills the battery (obviously it should go through the battery faster, but even if not recording I can only have the camera "on" for a couple of hours at a time - if I do the video tagging mode, or set the timed interval like you're talking about, it's a bit less).

I did manage some pictures today - and some of them even turned out ok! (We were in sand dunes with lots of sun and I couldn't see what I was taking most of the time...) - so I'll get those up soon.
  19. draperg1

draperg1 PapaBear

Oddometer:
    Enjoying your ride through the post. When you reach the right coast and need a place to stay in the middle of the great motorcycle roads of the country in southside VA we are available. Your rig will feel right at home beside my R1100 rig and my LT rig project. Our kids are gone so we have room! Happy travels!
    gwdraper3@gmail.com
    Bill & Deb
    Foiler likes this.
  20. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Bill (and Deb) - offer accepted! I'm looking forward to seeing your rigs (and the other Bill's as well). I've only driven up the east coast once, really (been to NYC a few times and Boston once, but only briefly in each case), and we spent very little time between Key West and upstate New York, so I'm excited to really get to explore everything else over there in the spring.