Bakery Quest - a year hacking the US with our kid and dogs.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by szurszewski, Oct 16, 2016.

1. MrAndMrsZINC

MrAndMrsZINC Snappin' necks and cashin' checks

Oddometer:
    ???? Also....

Guess - you had a moscow mule on a flight to the southwest, got a little frisky and contemplative, tried to make us believe you bought a harley on a whim but really bought a food truck, and you are driving home but stopped to pick up a teardrop because you have been jealous of the pups this whole time... No?
    Nixels, szurszewski, noshoes and 3 others like this.
  2. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Oh, Josh, what have you done? Sure looks like a fly-n-ride to Vegas to buy a Harley.
    MrAndMrsZINC likes this.
  3. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that was kind of a tease, wasn't it?

That's exactly how I got the LT, but no - it's a rental. It's been a fun ride the last couple of days, but if I were bike shopping I dont think that's what I'd be shopping for.

I did see a k1200rs, or at least a pile of parts that maybe used to be one on cl the other day....but I digress ;)

Oh, I so wish that were true. Well, except the Moscow mule part; don't get me wrong - ginger and about any liquor is fantasric - but I am barely smart enough to ride dead sober. I assure that my entire lunch - miniature biscotti and a can of ginger ale - is pictured.

But on the whole that sounds like a better story than I have. I mean, mine is ok and I am enjoying living it, but a food truck AND a teardrop...that would be awesome.
    noshoes, MrAndMrsZINC and Nixels like this.
  4. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    So it's late and I'm a bit wiped out having put a few hundred miles on that Street Glide today (funny story about my ignorance of Motor Company model names, but I'll save that for another time), so here's the short version:

A couple few nights back I was sitting at the table - possibly having my second spicy burro (which is a way better name than Mexican mule, if I do say so myself) of the evening - waiting for laura to get done reading a story to Jeremiah, and I maybe decided to search indeed.com for the key word motorcycle. Or something like that. Fast forward a few days and a few thousand airmiles cashed in, a gracious acceptance of my tent space request by @mkitchen , and a midweek discount from the friendly folks at Eaglerider, and I found myself this morning at
    B4D23289-836C-428F-AE90-91EBE756DEBF-578-0000006B53BA1F35.jpeg

Now, I want to state clearly that I did NOT take that picture - I stole it from an article in the Kingsman Daily Miner. I say this because I asked, earlier today, if I could take just such a picture and was told, "No." I was also told I couldn't tell anyone about anything that may or may not have happened on the other side of that gate, of which, I would like to repeat, I did not take a picture. In fact the closest I could take a picture was here.
    IMG_4079.JPG
    Nice, right?

But! That wasn't the only thing on my mind for this little trip. I also figured out that Yucca and Kingman aren't that far from Yarnell where there is a bakery of some interest, and this afternoon, after doing some stuff I signed multiple pieces of paper promising I would't tell anyone about, I got to ride over and check it out. Or the outside of it anyway. It was closed. But! Outside the closed bakery was @noshoes who'd ridden up from Quartzsite (despite having seen the name many times in the last year, I finally figured out just yesterday that there is actually an s in it!) to share a meal with me in Yarnell. Unfortunately, like the bakery, everything else in Yarnell was closed. Fortunately that meant we got to ride more. I wish I could tell you which road, because it was beautiful, but I can't actually find it on the map right now ... next time you're in yarnell, just head north a few miles and turn left. If you end up in Bagdad, and the road was great the views amazing, that was it. AZ97 from Bagdad to AZ93 is pretty sweet as well, if you don't want to just live in Bagdad once you get there.

If you do want to live in Bagdad, I suggest you check out the Copper somethingorother bar and grill. The staff was super friendly and the parking lot has a pretty good view.
    IMG_4081.JPG
    Also, it seems to be one of only two restaurants in town, and EVERY SINGLE TIME I've been there, the other one has been closed.

Obviously I've gone all tired and ramble-y so I'll shut up for now and enjoy another night in this adorable trailer.
    Foiler, bobw, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  5. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    Wait, what did I miss, there's a Harley and a GS in the parking lot and the sun is setting?
  6. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:

I would say those are the three main elements I wanted to include in that image, so I don't think you missed anything ;)
    noshoes and Nixels like this.
  7. Nixels

Nixels Face fears - live life

Oddometer:
    I thought you'd taken leave of your senses. :loco

But then I see that you were just playing pirate in the desert.

I'm glad Neil made the trip up to visit you! :clap :clap :clap
    noshoes and szurszewski like this.
  8. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    Wise-acre : )

Oscar says hi..

014.JPG
    Nixels, noshoes and szurszewski like this.
  9. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oscar!

He was an excellent host!

I've got to remember to get a pic of the thee corgis who are providing me with shelter here in the desert before I heard back to vegas in the morning...
    noshoes likes this.
  10. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    I present to you, the current Casa Kitchen Corgi collection:

Gus poses,
    IMG_4084.JPG

Joy naps
    IMG_4085.JPG

And Libby wants to lick my phone.
    IMG_4090.JPG
    bobw, Mofrid, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  11. zentraveler

zentraveler n00b

Oddometer:
    We happen to have a bakery for sale in sunny South Carolina if you have any interest in the southeastern part of the country. We're hitting the road next year for some extended travel and hope to sell the bakery by next May 2019. If you're interested I can send more details privately.

In the meantime, if you hear of any bakeries looking for bakers/owners/etc, or anything interesting in the world of travel, motorcycles or small lodging, do post it up.
    szurszewski and Nixels like this.
  12. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Road trip!
  13. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Zup???
    Nixels likes this.
  14. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:

Fair question.

Maybe I should start by filling in some details on my Southwestern excursion from the end of January. Short version: I came across an ad on indeed.com (this was my first time using it from the job-seeker side and I found it to be as slick as when using from the job offered side back in my semi-gainfully employed/business owner days) offering to PAY MONEY to people to RIDE MOTORCYCLES. What? On the one hand, awesome; on the other hand, maybe like getting paid money to eat cake all the time and it's only fun for like the first sixteen cakes.

(one of Laura's favorite songs- seriously) (also exactly what would happen if she ever got a job driving a potato chip truck)

Anyway. I didn't really think we wanted to move to Kingman, and I didn't really think we could afford to live on what they were offering to pay (I suppose it would be asking a lot to get paid WELL to ride motorcycles), but I also thought I'd be pissed at myself for a long time if I DIDN'T at least apply...so I sent a resume and they called the next day and said, can you be here either tomorrow (Thursday) or Tuesday? And there are probably a bunch of details I guess. The important parts are, the job is working for a company that Harley hires to do endurance testing (largely riding around in circles on closed courses, over and over and over and over and over...), along with some other testing, on mostly pre-production bikes, and the "interview" was also basically riding around in very small circles on an adorable beat nearly to death Sportster. I didn't actually know what the interview was going to be, but I was told to show up in riding gear, and I figured since the only time I'd ever ridden a Harley was in a parking lot for like three minutes - and did I mention it was a trike? - that maybe renting one to get a little practice in would be a good idea.

There's something very freeing about going into an interview situation without actually "needing" to get the job, and I had a great time and in the end it actually sounded - other than the really pretty crappy pay rate - a good bit more interesting than you'd maybe think. At the end of the process I explained to one a couple of the gentleman on the interview team a bit more about our situation and that though I was interested I really wasn't in a position to take a job at that time, and basically tried my best to sound not like some asshole who'd just wasted their time. I guess I did an ok job because they called me a couple of hours later and offered me a job anyway. I again tried to not sound like a time-wasting asshole while declining their offer, and they very graciously asked me to call if I am in a position where I can take the offer. How cool is that?

So that's that story - and there's also Yarnell, which looks like a sweet spot but maybe not affording of all the stuff Jeremiah would like to be doing the next few years, so that's probably out as well.

But, but but - that was like January and now it's nearly not March anymore (if anyone has birthday presents to send to Laura, better get them in the mail quick as she'll once again be as old as I am on 3/30!) and what the hell is going on?

Well, we were doing a good bit of research on Columbia (top items: it has a reputation - in the hot and muggy south - as being particularly hot and muggy, and there seem to be a LOT of people, otherwise normal looking people, walking around the city with the word or "COCKS" on various parts of their clothing) and then I decided that was too much fun and I'd rather spend a week in bed with some sort of great fever-inducing sinus-stuffing illness thing. Laura got jealous of that and decided she wanted to spend TWO weeks doing the same - she's competitive like that - and all of a sudden it was nearly St. Patrick's Day. And that's kind of important because Laura had agreed to do a bunch of fancy desserts for a "Blarney" themed charity auction.
    IMG_1977.JPG

Instead of spending a week on them, we did them all (and by we, I mean she did them all while I washed the same dishes over and over and over...oh, and I got to make a lot of buttercream and plate some stuff, and set it all up at the event) in 48 hours. Main lesson learned: we, and be we I mean particularly me, are really out of shape when it comes to standing in a kitchen ALL day. On the upside, the desserts - of which Laura made nearly half - brought in $5000 for the event, so that's pretty cool. ...and that again brings us back to our favorite pastime: figuring out what we're doing next.

Jeremiah has been continuing to have a fantastic time in school where he doesn't seem to be giving his teachers too much trouble, and he's been taking an afterschool art class producing what I think is some pretty impressive stuff...and a ballet class (his mom's been getting back into ballet too, come to think of it, after a short15 year hiatus).

And I've been, uh...trying to stay out of trouble? My last project, other than the figuring out what the hell we're doing and when the hell we'll be doing it, was to do a full service on the rig - I started that three weeks ago now, and got as far as buying the bits and fluids, and yesterday I actually drained some things. Good thing I'm not trying to make a living at that! I should have it all taken care of in the next couple of days and then we're considering putting the rig up for sale and maybe downsizing from a liveaboard to a daysailer of sorts.

... and Jeremiah and I still haven't finished that spreadsheet of trip stats, but we're definitely "working on it..." and that's about that.
    Foiler, bobw, Nixels and 6 others like this.
  15. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn it! I forgot the why it was funny that I had to text my Harley minded cousin to figure out which model I was riding. Turns out it says right on top of the tank, but I didn't notice, despite having filled the tank several times, until just before returning the bike.
    0E05331D-2D21-434B-9621-F9533F43D1A6-964-000000A1F77C1D69.jpeg

I should say, though I am not jonesing to buy one, I did have a great time riding that Hog around the desert (that's a thing I can say, yeah?) and felt very American while doing it.

I was surprised by how high the engine was spinning when I was cruising along "at the speed limit" on the highways. Hey - here's a
    a question: how many gears do you think that bike has? Hint: it's more than five. Maybe I should have actually been paying attention when the rental place guy said that. Maybe I should have tried to shift up the freeway when I first thought, gee - I thought this would have more top end, or maybe I should have just looked at the side of the damn bike where it says, SIX SPEED in sort of fast looking letters.
    52642059-5427-41A3-9571-69140D883D33-964-000000A219A19F51.jpeg

My cousin, the one I texted and asked, what kind of Harley is this, the one who is by far my most "motorcycle-y" relative, once said we differed on bikes in that he liked to look at them, learn about them, work on them and talk about them and I just oddly wanted to ride them. I guess I proved his point. Next time I'll remember to look between my legs before asking silly questions.
    Foiler, roadcapDen, Nixels and 2 others like this.
  16. greiffster

greiffster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    wait.jpg
    Foiler, Nixels, thewbee and 2 others like this.
  17. Nixels

Nixels Face fears - live life

Oddometer:
    That's a great report! Mucus! Motorcycles! Mystery Jobs, Art & Ballet!!!! This is a worthy ADV post. :nod

For a minute I thought you'd made a spelling error - and I couldn't believe it! You wouldn't spell that South American coffee growing country the name of my Alma Mater! :nono

And then I remembered that South Carolina has it's own tribute town named after Chrissy Columbus. :lol3

I sure do hope the mails work correctly so I can get a present in the mail delivered on time! :yikes
    szurszewski likes this.
  18. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. I've been reading this not too long after the beginning of it and it's always fun to hear updates. I'm curious, do you do any home construction work? Do you guys ever make it back down to Vancouver?
  19. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    My pleasure :)

We make it down to Portland from time to time, and Vancouver is sort of on the way... ;)

As for homes, I do better with the other prefix ("destruction") but I do know which end of an hammer is which. Why do you ask?
  20. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    I know of a potential opportunity and thought of you guys.
    Nixels likes this.