Bakery Quest - a year hacking the US with our kid and dogs.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by szurszewski, Oct 16, 2016.

1. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    :ear
    Nixels likes this.
  2. TDC_ERock

TDC_ERock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Columbia is indeed hot and muggy. People there often drive 2 hours toward Charleston where it is hot and beachy or 2 hours in the other direction toward Asheville and the mountains where it is not flat and the roads are fun. I don't imagine you will end up there even if you did become a Cocks fan in the process.

[​IMG]
    Nixels and szurszewski like this.
  3. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for for your thoughts. We were both the other places you mention and liked them both - kicking ourselves a bit that we didn't swing by the capitol!

We'd like to be planning a quick trip over there, but I spent the first week of the month I'm-not-getting-out-of-bed-today sick and laura has only been surfacing for a day or two at a time (though pretty good the last couple of days) so we haven't really looked at the options for that yet...and if we did that soon we'd just be there the same time we were in the Carolinas last year when the weather was great temperature wise...

rubline and Nixels like this.
  4. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was vacuuming out the sidecar yesterday and was pleased to discover I could recognize the origin of several bits of debris including a surprising about of gravely dirt from Tennesse and sand from at least three different places. I am not a fan of a cluttered vehicle, but I do see this as a good argument for avoiding regular cleaning.

Why then, was I vacuuming? Well, this:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/k1200lt-hannigan-sidecar-rig.1293063/
    rubline likes this.
  5. Nixels

Nixels Face fears - live life

Oddometer:
    Good luck selling this to the next adventurer!
    And don't work out int the sun for too many hours - it's HOT down there! :annie :knary

:lol3
  6. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks! So far exactly zero interest, but who knows.... hey - are you looking for a place to live? You could covert the chair into a camper and tow the bandit... or tow a camper and put a bike trailer rail in place of the car.... so many possibilities!

Hot? I don't know about that:
    IMG_4463.PNG
    Nixels likes this.
  7. Ddouble

Ddouble Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Josh,

Just finished reading your ride report over the last couple of days. Actually re-reading the first quarter or so of it. Awesome job! Very nicely written, and great photos. Maybe not as exotic in locations as some on here, but a great tale of a nice family exploring our country and more importantly socializing with humans. Bravo! and Thank-you!

DD
  8. Otis the Sasquatch

Otis the Sasquatch Long timer

Oddometer:
    How's it going?

Don't get discouraged. It's a Unique ride.
    I tend to fall in love w/ Weird vehicles. Then when it's time to sell, I have to wait for another weirdo to come along. :lol3

Bruincounselor likes this.
  9. Bruincounselor

Bruincounselor North Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've owned and sold two rigs in my lifetime. You are right about finding another weirdo. Both times I was able to sell to the first looker at full asking price, but it took months to get a looker. Patience grasshopper, there's plenty of us weirdos around.
  10. Nixels

Oddometer:
    :wave Wierdo - :uhoh I mean Josh!

How's the construction gig going? Or did the wrap up and you're back in the PNW?
  11. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're welcome - glad you enjoyed it and impressed you slogged through so much of it in that kind of time (insomnia? maybe I could market the RR as a cure for that!)
    Nixels likes this.
  12. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree and I'm not in a hurry to get it sold - in fact, it's supposed to be like 80 here today, and I should be doing other things having just returned from NV...but....I think I'm going to mow the lawn and go for a ride. Before it starts raining again. Tomorrow. For a week.
    Nixels and rubline like this.
  13. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:

Gig sort of implies payment - this was just for fun, (or maybe it was an unpaid internship?), but yeah - it's a wrap. Left Smith Valley at 0555 yesterday and parked in Olympia 760 or so miles later at 2105 (would have been earlier but got to Portland right at rush hour and there were crashes on the main freeway AND the bypass, so I got off the freeway for an hour and tooled through our "old" hood, ambushed some friends and got the car washed/fueled). The first 500 miles through Nevada and the top corner of CA and a bit of central OR were great - the 250 or so I5 miles were...tolerable? Would have been a perfect day to ride. You know, just like most days :)

IMG_4497.jpg IMG_4525.jpg IMG_4556.jpg IMG_4589.jpg
    MrAndMrsZINC, Nixels and rubline like this.
  14. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    8BF0D418-6DFA-4674-914B-6868F9B4D134.jpeg
    Nixels, MrAndMrsZINC and rubline like this.
  15. BMWBUD

BMWBUD I couldn't hack it. Back on two wheels.

Oddometer:
    Someone looks like they are sad to see it go.
    Nixels and rubline like this.
  16. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    We are sitting at the Amtrak station in Portland waiting for a northbound train. I wasn’t sure what that look in the pic was about. Showed him your post, and be he said: I’m sad but happy it’s going to new owners.

I said, that makes sense - but I can’t tell if that’s you making a sad face in the picture. He said, yeah, I’m not sure either.

:)
    rubline and noshoes like this.
  17. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    :clap Congrats!
  18. rubline

rubline Coddiwomple

Oddometer:
    Northbound train? A new adventure?
  19. Nixels

Oddometer:
    Congratulations! This phase of the journey is complete now that the rig is gone.

:hmmmmm I wonder what is next? :deal
    rubline likes this.
  20. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Happy that it sold, since I had it for sale and all, and very happy with where it went as far as new owners go, but a little sad to walk away. That said, Angie and Rick seem great - they put 100,000 miles on this
    IMG_1224.JPG
    largely touring the Southwest (from their home in Milwaukie/just south of Portland) before some medical issues brought about a sale of the bike to their son. Then, if I'm understanding the timeline correctly, the bought a travel trailer to pull behind their truck....and hated, to the point of tears, traveling it in - all the same great places, but the hassle of hauling instead of the joy of riding and of course feeling disconnected from all the things they saw from inside the truck. Then they bought this

IMG_2643.JPG

which looks like it would be a hoot, but also wasn't what they wanted. And now they have our rig and are very much looking forward to getting "their noses back in the wind." Awesome.

Also, at one point talking about mechanical stuff, Angie said, well, if we like riding the sidecar and the bike goes tits up we can just buy another Kbike to swap in there (Rick is the pilot and earlier this week, in a parking lot halfway between Olympia and Portland, was his first introduction to riding a sidecar and his first time on a BMW...) :thumbup

Yeah, that sounds cooler than it is - just the Amtrak Cascades 518 back to Olympia. It was sort of an adventure in that it's in the 90s here and the AC in our car didn't work. Ah - the trials and hardships of American travel!

So, yeah - about that. I don't want to go all non-riding stuff since this is still in ride reports (I think it is anyway!), but Laura has been co-opted by an old friend to help out in her restaurant (we were reacquainted with said friend in May when Laura and I, sitting in a restaurant we knew nothing about eating awesome fries and drinking shakes, were suddenly hugged from behind by a crazy woman who'd come running out of the kitchen yelling my name...and turned out to be the owner/a friend we'd lost touch with some years back)...and the other night she (<--Laura, not the old friend... who is actually less old than us) said, you know what I think we should do? Build a commercial bakery in a trailer. And I said, oh - you mean that thing I suggested TEN YEARS AGO that you thought was stupid? That thing? She said yeah, and she may also have hit me....so, since that conveniently became a thing that was legal in Washington four months ago, well, maybe we're going to do that with the idea of doing some wholesale here for a while (Jeremiah has pleaded for and been granted the privilege of attending fourth grade at his current beloved school - we're such generous parents, right?) and then perhaps being able to drag the damn thing wherever it is we end up next.

Anybody know how to weld? I think we could find a guest room for you....

Attached Files: